Running Undercurrent In Series Instead Of Parallel?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

Every factor affects it... the impact can be large or small and that's why i don't want to bother getting into it. These systems are designed for what their purpose is and any changes are going to be so insignificant its not worth talking about. Take your pump and move it to push the water through instead of pull the water through. Then tell me you don't see a difference. Gravity for instance if you use 2" piping into your chiller and that water chiller is on a table 2' in height that 2"x2' of water... approx 1.2 litres. If its half inch piping it 0.5"x2' of water approx 77ml. Water is approx 8.33 lbs/gal. So in the 2" pipe you have about 2.65 pounds of added head pressure and in the half in pipe you have 0.17lb of added head pressure. This is not taking into account added head pressure from change of direction such as 90 degree corners etc.

So you can call it BS but its real... no matter how insignificant the difference. Thats why i stated in my previous post they key to this is the pump placement. the rest is almost negligible and not worth time or effort explaining or wasting my, yours or others time even looking at.

I did not say anything of the sort about taking 2 rows of buckets and changing them to one row would have a big affect... and I agree with you the affect would be next to nothing
I was referring to the guy in the beginning that said the pump would have to be bigger and the first bucket plant roots would get blasted,
But the reason these systems are effective is because of the negative pressure.All they do is create a void of water displacement.It sucks water from one end and puts it in another

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was referring to the guy in the beginning that said the pump would have to be bigger and the first bucket plant roots would get blasted,
But the reason these systems are effective is because of the negative pressure.All they do is create a void of water displacement.It sucks water from one end and puts it in another
Yup... I know you fully understand the system (which was what confused me) and your absolutely right. I must have misinterpreted what you were saying and thought you were referring to my info cause it was quoted.

My bad sometimes its hard to decipher text

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

CC doesn't do systems longer than 10 modules. Why you might ask. Because exactly like I said you with have "no" flow. The water levels will not be consistent throughout the system the epi water level will be lower as well as the first couple of modules with roots getting beat up. As well as a less than optimum nutrien uptake capability. This goes for pushing or pulling. Like I said also if you put a larger pump you will beat up the roots. Even if you replace the 2" pipe with a 3" pipe and a larger pump you probably will still same flow problem.

H

heisen

CC doesn't do systems longer than 10 modules. Why you might ask. Because exactly like I said you with have "no" flow. The water levels will not be consistent throughout the system the epi water level will be lower as well as the first couple of modules with roots getting beat up. As well as a less than optimum nutrien uptake capability. This goes for pushing or pulling. Like I said also if you put a larger pump you will beat up the roots. Even if you replace the 2" pipe with a 3" pipe and a larger pump you probably will still same flow problem.
makes 0 sense but OK

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Ok let me try to understand.
The described system ,
Pushes water into say the first box, via pulling from the last and let gravity handle the rest?
Question would be, say once the system is flooded, how long does that take from the series to fill from first box to say the 20th? And I agree doesn’t need much, just enough to get the flow and then gravity does the rest.
Is the table tilted to provide the gravity effort to work, like say a 1/4” to foot type drop? Or it isn’t necessary?
I’m looking to build a system and the info here is immense and I do appreciate all the levels of discussions.
Cheers all
Oh, I’m gonna do a 20x 20 box setup. 3gal each cap, for total of 40 different plants. This is purely for research on herbs and I do mean herbs not marijuana. I grow that commercially in soil.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

makes 0 sense but OK
Considering I'm a journeyman electrician, that worked for contractors with a sister HVAC Cos and most of my friends work and or own companies in the various trades I'm pretty much have a well rounded grasp on building shit.
I don't care If you think it makes sense or not.

It is scientific fact, I told you to go look up pipe and duct calculators and Bernoulli's Priciple.

Instead 2 pages of this thread have been deleted.

I know this from working with the AC guys and it is the same principle for pipes. So I went and called a buddy that owns a Plumbing contracting co and he concurred.

I'm swapping out a furnace in my house I think this weekend and will ask another professional.
It is kind of redundant due to the fact that this Principle applies to Pipe and Duct, which I had already stated.

LASTLY I CALLED CURRENT CULTURE TODAY AND ASKED THE SAME THING.
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAID? Exactly what I stated, doing what the OP stated would lower the water levels in the EPI and the first few buckets at least, beat up the roots and force them into the pipe nipples. Then the back buckets would have a higher water level.
Also that making the pipe wider with a larger pump isn't ideal. So my original post is 110% correct, which I already knew. The second post saying larger diameter pipe and larger pump is and I quote from CC "not ideal", but I was just throwing it out there.

Sometimes it is a pain in the ass being so smart. Ha ha ha.

I don't know why you want to insist on something you aren't versed in?
I'm not the kind of guy that posts to hear themselves talk.
Apology is in order.
Thank you for your visiting, Come Again.

H

heisen

nothing is tilted,the water is level in all the buckets,There really is not much flow,It is more like a slow moving stream,Your pulling water from all the connected buckets and returning it back to the beginning,All negative pressure.Some folks just cant seem to wrap there head around the fact the key component here is the over size pipe connecting the buckets,THEY are not small enough to build or reduce any kind of pressure.The water that recirculates back to the first bucket is NOT more then 300 to 500 Gallons per hour typically.The system water can ONLY move as fast as the flow of water being recirculated back to the epi bucket.i cant UNDERSTAND WTF is so hard to understand about that.
If you dropped a pump in a pond and put a 100 foot hose on it and pumped the water to the other end of the pond ITS NOT going to increase or decrease flow,Undercurrent works the same way,its just buckets linked together to control the direction of the way the water flows.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
nothing is tilted,the water is level in all the buckets,There really is not much flow,It is more like a slow moving stream,Your pulling water from all the connected buckets and returning it back to the beginning,All negative pressure.Some folks just cant seem to wrap there head around the fact the key component here is the over size pipe connecting the buckets,THEY are not small enough to build or reduce any kind of pressure.The water that recirculates back to the first bucket is NOT more then 300 to 500 Gallons per hour typically.The system water can ONLY move as fast as the flow of water being recirculated back to the epi bucket.i cant UNDERSTAND WTF is so hard to understand about that.
If you dropped a pump in a pond and put a 100 foot hose on it and pumped the water to the other end of the pond ITS NOT going to increase or decrease flow,Undercurrent works the same way,its just buckets linked together to control the direction of the way the water flows.
Makes sense! So in theory it’s a aquaponics like setup but used in principle to undercurrent . Got it. That’s what had me confused as to why one would need anything like a massive pump, it’s a river effect and aquaponics use the same principle, they flood and we are going for undercurrent.
Cheers I think this should clear doubts out.

H

heisen

Considering I'm a journeyman electrician, that worked for contractors with a sister HVAC Cos and most of my friends work and or own companies in the various trades I'm pretty much have a well rounded grasp on building shit.

It is scientific fact, I told you to go look up pipe and duct calculators and Bernoulli's Priciple.

I know this from working with the AC guys and it is the same principle for pipes. So I went and called a buddy that owns a Plumbing contracting co and he concurred.

I'm swapping out a furnace in my house I think this weekend and will ask another professional.
It is kind of redundant due to the fact that this Principle applies to Pipe and Duct, which I had already stated.

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAID? Exactly what I stated, doing what the OP stated would lower the water levels in the EPI and the first few buckets at least, beat up the roots and force them into the pipe nipples. Then the back buckets would have a higher water level.
Also that making the pipe wider with a larger pump isn't ideal. So my original post is 110% correct, which I already knew. The second post saying larger diameter pipe and larger pump is and I quote from CC "not ideal", but I was just throwing it out there.

Apology is in order.
I built multiple UC systems and you claim to have knowledge in them but cannot post any pics of your grows in them whatsoever.Your an electrician thats real nice,But im asking you how many UC systems have you built from scratch,You made fun of my water chiller without realizing it is only 1 of several i run on systems that i built.You posted a pic of a stack of buckets.I truly doubt YOU have any clue how thses systems work and have never actually filled one up and watched how the water flows through the buckets,
One of my flower rooms and ALL i run is UC

DSC 0319

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

I'm talking straight science and fact. Think whatever you want.

Quit it, your logic is flawed. It is ok, knowledge just got dropped on you this week and you still want to deny a 280 year old scientific principle. I did like when I brought up bernoullis Priciple and CC knew exactly what I was talking about. You know why, beach use it is fact.

H

heisen

Makes sense! So in theory it’s a aquaponics like setup but used in principle to undercurrent . Got it. That’s what had me confused as to why one would need anything like a massive pump, it’s a river effect and aquaponics use the same principle, they flood and we are going for undercurrent.
Cheers I think this should clear doubts out.
YES! its hard to grasp unless one has actually set one up and watched it run,The water flow under the roots is slow and looks like a river flow,I have designed my own and tweeked it as i needed to,

H

heisen

I'm talking straight science and fact. Think whatever you want.

Quit it, your logic is flawed. It is ok, knowledge just got dropped on you this week and you still want to deny a 280 year old scientific principle. I did like when I brought up bernoullis Priciple and CC knew exactly what I was talking about. You know why, beach use it is fact.
At this point your just talking man to be talking,You have 0 experience in this system.I dont have to call CC to know how these things run.Ill ask for your advice when i need to add a light controller

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

LOL, why would I want to build them when I can afford to buy them. Some people never learn. Maybe one day if ur really nice I'll let you in a little secret. Until then please don't spread misinformation.

H

heisen

LOL, why would I want to build them when I can afford to buy them. Some people never learn. Maybe one day if ur really nice I'll let you in a little secret. Until then please don't spread misinformation.
If you was half as smart than you claim you would realize that UC has a design flaw.The T that comes from the EPI bucket,Also i build mine to save Cubic dollars,could use that money towards other stuff,But the biggest reason is to get the spacing and specs to my needs,I also build my own LED COB arrays for the same exact reason.You being a master electrician and all seems you wouldnt being asking people about how many cobs to fit over a 20x 12 foot space.

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

Do you think you are the only guy that has built a rdwc, I've built several. Congrats do you want a medal?

Heisenbubble You think that bullying me is going to make your logic correct. It isn't and I won't be bullied.
To that you have a wonderful day.

H

heisen

Do you think you are the only guy that has built a rdwc, I've built several. Congrats do you want a medal?

Heisenbubble You think that bullying me is going to make your logic correct. It isn't and I won't be bullied.
To that you have a wonderful day.
LOL@bullied,Naw man im just asking you to show some pics of these systems you so called built,You cant claim to be an expert on something than have nothing to back it up cause you said so.Lets see some pics of some nice big lush plants growing in RDWC,unless you tried them,got root rot and other issues that plague first time under current growers,packed it all up and tossed the buckets in a corner and went with coco.So what is it,Lets see the pics of these 2 pound plants in DWC

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Apology is in order.
Wait here... can you please explain to me how this principle is applied?

Here is a link to help you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

H

heisen

And the only reason i deleted the previous comments was because i didnt want the other mods to see them and slap you with a ban.In all honesty i tried to keep it civil till you started trash talking my water chiller and my veg room setup

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

Crickets, lmao. I'm fucking taking a break. Sorry I didn't know I had an allotted time to respond. And getting a server error.

Top Bottom