Runny Liquid Bho

• Thread starter Komoshan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Komoshan

Komoshan

Hello, I'm sure there is something in the search for this but i didn't have any luck.
i haven't made any bho since around 2010, finally had some extra trim so figured I'd make a small run. the trim was low quality with about 10% very high quality sugar leaf.
anyways... I'm no expert by any means; years ago when I ran bho at home more regularly I'd ussually end up with wax. so as I said not the best.
this time tho the bho after a hot water purge has remained thick liquid like simpson oil and it seems to stay that way... trying to which it up does nothing. I tried a couple more hot water baths (hot water under container) but it seems to have no effect.
trying to dab it the taste isn't very good and kind of harsh but I can't sense a butane taste or smell.
thoughts?

Runny liquid bho
Graywolf

Graywolf

Retained solvent, water, and decarboxylation are culprits for making an extract soupy. High terpene levels will make a shatter pull an snap, and high wax content makes it soft and doughy.

Harshness can be from high C-30 content, which is also where most of the color comes from.

How old was the trim, what was your process?

I would suggest smearing it in a thin film on parchment or PTFE film, and sticking it in a vacuum at 115F and see what it does.

Komoshan

Komoshan

it was open blasted and hot water bath purged for about an hour. the trim was low quality half dry and half wet.
thanks that info will be pulled up for viewing many times by me i'm guessing.

souf69

souf69

Retained solvent, water, and decarboxylation are culprits for making an extract soupy. High terpene levels will make a shatter pull an snap, and high wax content makes it soft and doughy.

Harshness can be from high C-30 content, which is also where most of the color comes from.

How old was the trim, what was your process?

I would suggest smearing it in a thin film on parchment or PTFE film, and sticking it in a vacuum at 115F and see what it does.

GW, the high terps pull and snap you describe, will it stay firm at room temp? Also will it hold stability at different temps?

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

if you got a vac oven, put it back in pull a vac. it will firm up some, just got to keep cooking it. I never mix wet and dry trim but I know quite a few people as of late are trying to obtain the same looking stuff you made they call it the sauce. I was told you make it from fresh frozen and stay at low purge temps. like below 90.

Graywolf

Graywolf

GW, the high terps pull and snap you describe, will it stay firm at room temp? Also will it hold stability at different temps?
Typically you can break off a piece and roll it between your finger and thumb at room temperature without it sticking, as long as you don't hold it too long. You can separate a piece without it stringing.

It's stable and firmer/brittle at lower temperatures and gets softer and stringy at higher temperatures.

souf69

souf69

Typically you can break off a piece and roll it between your finger and thumb at room temperature without it sticking, as long as you don't hold it too long. You can separate a piece without it stringing.

It's stable and firmer/brittle at lower temperatures and gets softer and stringy at higher temperatures.
Thanks for the quick response GW, i have a friend that swears his stuff is always push pull at pretty much any temp. Ive always called it BS, had to cite my work with the man GW of course.

Komoshan

Komoshan

I know quite a few people as of late are trying to obtain the same looking stuff you made they call it the sauce. I was told you make it from fresh frozen and stay at low purge temps. like below 90.

anyone know an easy way to test for butane ppm without sending out to a lab? I'm curious if this tastes bad from gnarly trim or bad purge/lotsa butane. if gnarly trim maybe this did turn out the way some people want their HO.

Komoshan

Komoshan

doesn't catch on fire but gets runnier then starts smoking, leaves like maybe up to 15-20% tar like substance.

Graywolf

Graywolf

anyone know an easy way to test for butane ppm without sending out to a lab? I'm curious if this tastes bad from gnarly trim or bad purge/lotsa butane. if gnarly trim maybe this did turn out the way some people want their HO.
No way to measure exact PPM, but you can taste butane below its FDA control limits. It adds a subtle sweet butyl odor and flavor, sort of like the air from a butyl rubber inner tube smells and tastes.

High levels of residual butane also seriously tickles my nose when I dab.

I suggest purging in a thin film under about -29.5" vacuum and 110/115F?

Komoshan

Komoshan

ya i think the starting material was just real gnarly... i couldnt dab that stuff after a couple times... just seemed gnarly even tho i guess it worked..

texture/consistency is perfect for rolling on j's tho.. you can practically paint it on like a slightly watery acrylic with a dabber. lovely.... burns right with an ember to... to bad that's the only way i've found to smoke it pleasantly... goes with the popcorn bud tho so whatevs.

T

tool

Some of the best concentrate I have had was runny like that, as far as potency. I've been dabbing for a year but I don't make concentrates, I've gotten runny concentrate 3 times. Shatter, terp sauce, discounted shatter. They've all tasted pretty great except for the one I have now, but the strains mothers milk it could just be the way that strain tastes.

T

tool

Some of the best concentrate I have had was runny like that, as far as potency. I've been dabbing for a year but I don't make concentrates, I've gotten runny concentrate 3 times. Shatter, terp sauce, discounted shatter. They've all tasted pretty great except for the one I have now, but the strains mothers milk it could just be the way that strain tastes.

Sorry got toasted & forgot my point. Sometimes it being runny isn't the best indicator. Is there a chance you're psyching yourself out about the butane taste/smell?

Leew421

Leew421

Spread it out like as said. Most likely it got too hot and will never be a firm mix. You can at least make sure it's purged more

Top Bottom