Sugar Water And Spider Mites

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

I understand that most people aren't going to but this but I'll share it non the less.

If you do some research on orchids and there pests, you will come come with spider mites and sugar/water or sugar/oil.

Then if you do a search of the impact of h202 on soft bodied pests you will learn about oxidation.

I just came down with a bit of a infestation of spider mites and decided to go completely organic. I use a spray that is 1c molasses, 1c h202 and 1 gallon of water.

The process works by the h202 killing any eggs or soft bodied pests it touches. Then the sugar works by killing the hard bodied pests from the inside out.

I sprayed them with h202 3 nights and the sugar mixture only once and out of 10 fan leaves from all over I only found I alive and one dying. I would say I'm above a 90% death rate at this point.

You don't have to believe me all you need to do is try it on a small scale test and see what happens. I've had plenty of people give me shot and continue to doubt me even though I have a positive death rate.

By the way my plants look so much better than a week ago pre sugar spray.

Off topic but I'm going to let the lady bugs do the rest at this point. I got 300 which is for about 500sqf in a 50sqf area. Then I got a mantis coming to clean up the catipellers and left over lady bugs.

These are all dead from my spray and there are many more.

Sugar water and spider mites
Sugar water and spider mites 2
Sugar water and spider mites 3
showmegreen

showmegreen

I believe you. H2O2 is a beast on organic structures living or dead. I've read on sugar implementation but kinda thought it sounded iffy. But I'm becoming a believer. When I start back up it definetly be in my arsenal. Good post

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

where and how to obtainH2O2?

my babies will be ready to chop in 7-10 days since its my first grow pests have been minimal; but more arrows in the quiver is a good thing.

I believe you. H2O2 is a beast on organic structures living or dead. I've read on sugar implementation but kinda thought it sounded iffy. But I'm becoming a believer. When I start back up it definetly be in my arsenal. Good post

S

Shawnery

35% food grade on Amazon or EBay but beware. I've read that at times ata not as pure as they claim.

Dunge

Dunge

Note: hydrogen peroxide is likely to oxidize sugars, so I'd consider it a short shelf life product.
Might consider separate applications.
Good luck.

cannabeans

cannabeans

I was at a landscape/nursery convention years ago... I picked up a sample bottle of an insecticide that was sugar based... I am looking for the brand name right now.

It worked really well!

S

Shawnery

I was thinking I screwed up getting a mantis and lady bugs but I was wrong.

Look at this little baby of a praying mantis!

20171101 154406
gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
I was thinking I screwed up getting a mantis and lady bugs but I was wrong.

Look at this little baby of a praying mantis!
What does one mantis cost? I see them all the time not sure if im lucky or we have a ton in colorado

showmegreen

showmegreen

15 what? Dollars? If so.. Ima go into the mantis buisness!!! See em all the time in spring an summer. Their egg nests n all. Yep.. next year, you bet!

S

Shawnery

Over 90% of spider mites found are dead as well as the little white long things.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

See I feel I get the same results from many organic products. Without 100% kill, you still have mites. Wonder how this effects the eggs? Please keep us updated say like a week from now. Happy Growing

S

Shawnery

Spider mites are called the Borg because they keep coming back. Once you have an infestation it's a catch up game.

You have to spray the sugar mixture every three days because of their life cycle and birth rate. Every three days the eggs hatch so if you spray every three days than you should cover your basis. Not to mention the ability to get great coverage on the underside of leaves is near impossible.

Then on the days between you spray only water/h202 which should kill any soft bodied pests, that should include the eggs. Not to mention a mixture of water and h202 is actually beneficial for your plant. Also for anyone that might be worried about left over sugar on their plants the base spray helps remove it slowly over time.

I'm happy with my sugar/water/h202 as king as it keeps it in check considering i was told to throw them away and start over. Or the fact that I was told my mixture would do nothing at all. Or that h202/water does nothing as well.

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

I've also found this which has received great reviews from most that have tried it.

Lavender flowers soaked in water for 24-48 hours. Strain the plant material out really well, then dilute 50:1 with plain water and apply to the plants with a sprayer.

• The ratio isn't critical, but it's something like 1 tbsp per cup of water.

• You can use fresh or dried lavender, but keep in mind that as with all plant extracts, using dried material will give you a more potent extract.

• For increased effectiveness, add a couple drops of a good natural soap (like Bronner's) to the diluted solution prior to spraying.

• Be sure you spray all leaves. Especially pay attention to the undersides.

• This treatment also seems to kill eggs.

• Spray every 3-5 days until mites are eradicated.

Dunge

Dunge

I have not sensed a rejection of your efforts, but rather a caution to endorse notional responses to a very serious concern for growers.
I encourage your efforts to demonstrate efficacy.

As to your formulation, I like it, if you can demonstrate success.
Non destructive formulations are very attractive to me.
Adding to mite damage with treatment damage is just sad.

Keep up the effort.
But I think you would agree, a 20% survival is problematic.

Top Bottom