Tamisium Butane Extractors

• Thread starter BC_Bud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UCtestn

No you don't want to use olive oil as a carrier. You wouldn't be able to seperate it....I believe. Only use a dab of it to lub the o-rings. You can use a carrier ( alcohol,acetone, grain alcohol and others ) or no carrier and just leave a small amount of tane to pour it out....works really good actually with just the tane. Of course then you loose some tane but not much...mmmm maybe 20%
Does that help ?

Thanks, it does help. I assume if I use Alcohol or acetone it should be a certain grade?

What process do you recommend to separate it?

How is the waste product? If I use trim or some bud in the extractor, can I try to make butter with what is left? Today, I put all my trim through a pollinator, then I make butter after it's done. I'm considering adding the oil extraction to the process, I know I won't be getting as much oil. Thinking I'll run it through the pollinator, then the extractor and make butter last.

feslope

feslope

You just have to experiment. I have packed it very tight, using a wooden dowell to really pack it. I use stainless screens and cotton balls for filtration at the bottom instead of the steel wool he suggests. Do not use a blender. If you want your product broken up, do it by hand. I have also packed it loosely and done inversions, etc... A lot depends on the quality and trichome density on the starting product.

Definitely use dry product. Cure if you like, it may make a smoother smoking oil. It is not necessary, however.
Thanks for a good answer. I notice in his "Products to be" area he mentions screens and carbon cartridges. I also did not care for the idea of using steel wool as a filter.

Perhaps some other users could weigh in and share with us what they are using as filters.

The Hippy

The Hippy

Well I pack my xtractor very tight. With a stick and small rubber mallet. So ya its tight. The advantage being more material = more oil. It will hold about 2.75 z's if ground up very fine. I have ground mine in a blender and it worked fine ( still very golden ) although some Trich's may be lost in the blender. If you don't grind it down the unit will hold less and may need to be done twice to use up the extra material. MT Grower say's don't blend it, but I'm not sure why. Whole buds produce a clearer oil......yes. Longer soaks and reverse soaks produce a less clear oil but still really tasty. I would suppose that by handling it the least the more trich's available for stripping off the weed.
With a Tamisium the thick walls of the tube part mean you can really pack it in tight, thereby being able to produce more in one go.
I would say the weed is garbage after two runs through. The second run yields very little really. If it wasn't for using the reclaimed tane I wouldn't spend the money for butane to run it twice. A tamisium runs three can loads over the herb in each run so doing more runs is pointless IMO. Most people only run one can through baster or glass tubes so the Tamisium is very effective the first run through.
:party0042:

The Hippy

The Hippy

Thanks, it does help. I assume if I use Alcohol or acetone it should be a certain grade?

What process do you recommend to separate it?

How is the waste product? If I use trim or some bud in the extractor, can I try to make butter with what is left? Today, I put all my trim through a pollinator, then I make butter after it's done. I'm considering adding the oil extraction to the process, I know I won't be getting as much oil. Thinking I'll run it through the pollinator, then the extractor and make butter last.

I basically don't bother with the carrier anymore. But with alcohol or acetone you can separate it by heat purging ( NO SPARKS OF COURSE ) or let it evaporate naturally. I used 99% pure iso alc. and store bought acetone. For me purging the last little bit of tane from the oil is pretty easy and so I do that. Because your weighing the butane you can leave just a small amount to get rid of so why use the carrier....more work. And after all most Weeder's are lazy ...haha
The butane I leave to pour it out evaporates usually in ten minutes or less.

M

MTgrower

Well I pack my xtractor very tight. With a stick and small rubber mallet. So ya its tight. The advantage being more material = more oil. It will hold about 2.75 z's if ground up very fine. I have ground mine in a blender and it worked fine ( still very golden ) although some Trich's may be lost in the blender. If you don't grind it down the unit will hold less and may need to be done twice to use up the extra material. MT Grower say's don't blend it, but I'm not sure why. Whole buds produce a clearer oil......yes. Longer soaks and reverse soaks produce a less clear oil but still really tasty. I would suppose that by handling it the least the more trich's available for stripping off the weed.
With a Tamisium the thick walls of the tube part mean you can really pack it in tight, thereby being able to produce more in one go.
I would say the weed is garbage after two runs through. The second run yields very little really. If it wasn't for using the reclaimed tane I wouldn't spend the money for butane to run it twice. A tamisium runs three can loads over the herb in each run so doing more runs is pointless IMO. Most people only run one can through baster or glass tubes so the Tamisium is very effective the first run through.
:party0042:

Hey Hippy,
I only suggest not to put it in a blender for the reason you stated. You loose a lot of trichomes in the blender. I suppose you can always just dump them back in the tube after grinding, but it is just one more step that just isn't worth it for me. I only use well dried buds, so breaking up by hand with gloves on gets it plenty fine. I let it dry to the crumble stage. To each his own. If the blender works for you, blend away!

I'm buying a second recovery tank and braided line and some of the needed quick connect fittings to set up a modified version of the extractor. I'll have to show you the setup when complete.

I too have abandoned using carrier solvents for the most part. I just use a pair of hemostats and a cut up credit card to use as a scraper. I still reclaim all the stuff I can't scrape with Everclear, but they didn't put a pour notch in the lip of the bottom tank. I don't want to take a metal file to notch it so it will pour out easily because I'd have to notch right on the weld. I don't want to risk the integrity of the weld, so I just do my best.

There are some very minor adjustments that could be made to the basic design that would greatly improve the ease of working with the Tamisium.

Overall, this thing kicks ass. I've done enough runs now that it has paid for itself in butane savings alone a few times over.

M

MTgrower

I basically don't bother with the carrier anymore. But with alcohol or acetone you can separate it by heat purging ( NO SPARKS OF COURSE ) or let it evaporate naturally. I used 99% pure iso alc. and store bought acetone. For me purging the last little bit of tane from the oil is pretty easy and so I do that. Because your weighing the butane you can leave just a small amount to get rid of so why use the carrier....more work. And after all most Weeder's are lazy ...haha
The butane I leave to pour it out evaporates usually in ten minutes or less.

Make a little unit like this to get it out. One of the biggest benefits of using a closed system like the Tamisium is that you don't have to openly evaporate explosive gases. You'll have to use a carrier to clean out the "leftovers", but you can scrape out 90% of the product without using any carrier solvent and without exposing yourself to open evaporation.

http://i1238.invalid.com/albums/ff485/StinkBomb420/IMG_3090.jpg

http://i1238.invalid.com/albums/ff485/StinkBomb420/IMG_3091.jpg

many strains start to auto purge when you scrape them out, but here you can see that I've recovered the vast majority of oil. Clearly I got lazy, as I could scrape most of what you see left over.

http://i1238.invalid.com/albums/ff485/StinkBomb420/IMG_3093.jpg

Before it foamed up, the pool of oil from the above scraping looked like this:

http://i1238.invalid.com/albums/ff485/StinkBomb420/IMG_3045.jpg

This was only one run of 30 grams using 350ml of Butane.

The Hippy

The Hippy

I'm buying a second recovery tank and braided line and some of the needed quick connect fittings to set up a modified version of the extractor. I'll have to show you the setup when complete.

Now that sounds interesting....what are you going to do with that setup.....I'm not seeing what your concept is yet

Overall, this thing kicks ass. I've done enough runs now that it has paid for itself in butane savings alone a few times over.

Oh ya. Me too, the saving in butane is HUGE. The price alone is worth the saving later on. I'm sure his new larger unit will attract some folks who make lots of this stuff. I've seen guys with pics of garbage bags full of spent tane and thought that must be a big expense in making this stuff. Reclaiming is the most economical way to make the " the beloved url "

But I must admit that Lately I'm not going for a full recovery of all the butane. It's just so much easier to pour it out with say ...40-50 g's of butane still in the extraction tank. I put the purge line on and undo the clamp. When it's that cold it just mostly sits in the botton waiting to be poured. Into the Pyrex dish in front of a strong fan and seconds later....no ..well very little tane left. Or set the dish floating right into a pail of hot water and fan blowing. Bingo... Oil=o

Hey MT I appreciate your responses as is so cool to hear other techniques from guys using this equipment.

I agree blending is abusive to the herb but I suppose in the end it's all pretty minor. What it did do was allow me to put in almost a third more material , saving much time. I usually run the tane over it a second time. It works so well to make sure you got it "all" IMO Hence why I figure the material is garbage after...there simply can't be anything left.

The Hippy

The Hippy

I guess grinding or blending is always going to produce a slightly darker oil.
would you agree with this theory ?

Basically I believe that all of the THC is located in the Trich's which are located on the outside of the plant. Therefore no need to ever disrupt the plant material by grinding...right ? That's why fast runs over whole non packed into the tube buds, produce the clearest oil ??
But fast runs may leave some THC behind because of the speed and the fact that most tube extractions are done with only one can of tane.....from what I've seen in other threads on the net.
I think the Tamisium can produce the more potent oil by extracting more effectively as per the technique of running twice with much more butane each run. I would think this method may produce a more concentrated oil. Also this may increase yield as well because you strip the THC more completely. I feel the yield with this beast is a bit higher than through baster or glass tubes. I like to run the butane in a hot state by submerging the tank in warm water before letting it rip thru the weed.
What do you think MT ?
All I know is the oil I've been making is very potent and gets you huge ripped for hours. I have no real other oil to compare it to other than my previous runs. It all really depends as HMK say's in the quality of the material used. I've made it from many different strains and each time it is so damn good !!

G

gooey

interesting for sure...i saw this in a mag awhile ago...looks like the way to go with the price of tane so high...love the new gear thats making its way out to help us with our fav plant...peace n puffs

M

Mr.Mow

Just Got My Own

Heyo, Just got a Tamisium TE-175 of my own just yesterday in the mail. I was still trying to familiarize myself with the extraction process but hopefully I should have a lot of info on it soon. :party0042:

H

hmusic

This is a really awesome/informative thread! I'm in the market to buy the TE175 Super Deluxe, but wanted to try it out first. Anyone here in the L.A. area willing to pass a couple of og kush trim elbows through theirs? I'd be willing to compensate for your troubles. Let me know. Thanks!

Anything

Anything

Has anyone tried to make their own?

hmusic, I'm in LA as well and have been throwing around the idea of finding a local welder/metalsmith to produce something similar, as the tamisium prices are just way out of my range.

H

hmusic

Sounds good. But I need this thing yesterday and have the money now to buy one. I'm ordering the TE-175 Super Deluxe package today or Monday. Hopefully he'll throw in the new carry case that he put on the site. Looks cool as hell.

M

MTgrower

hmusic, I'm in LA as well and have been throwing around the idea of finding a local welder/metalsmith to produce something similar, as the tamisium prices are just way out of my range.

You could have a cheap knock off made with thinner walls.... just cut corners wherever possible, but to make one of the same quality would probably cost more to have one made locally.

I'm just basing my experience on having custom parts fabricated for an offroad truck I built long ago.

But, yes, one could make a functional DIY Tamisium for a lower price. That lower price would be reflected in the product, however.

M

MTgrower

Actually, If you do go this route, PM me for suggestions on how to improve the design of the Tamisium so you can include the improvements in your DIY extractor.

For example, a notch on the inner lip so the liquid pours out easily when using a secondary solvent to transfer out of the bottom bell.

Also, make the opening to the bottom bell big enough to fit a large man's fist. This will make direct scrape transfers much easier.

feslope

feslope

Sounds good. But I need this thing yesterday and have the money now to buy one. I'm ordering the TE-175 Super Deluxe package today or Monday. Hopefully he'll throw in the new carry case that he put on the site. Looks cool as hell.
I just ordered that case. Its not included but you will get a $50.00 discount if you order with or re recent purchaser of TE175 Deluxe/Super Deluxe system.

feslope

feslope

You need to see and handle one of these before you try to make one. Other than the fittings, quick disconnects and maybe the collar on the collection tank the remainder is custom fabricated. This is a heavy piece of equipment that is made to incredible standards. Stainless steel fusion welding is real specialized and must be performed in an argon atmosphere. I used to work in a food processing plant and saw this being done.

H

hmusic

Hi MT. Bout to take the plunge thanks to reading this and other threads, and because of your high praise of the extractor. Should I have him do the $40 assembly and pressure test? Or is this just a a waste of money? I'm trying to save every dime I can, because it probably won't pay for itself as fast as I need it to. Any info or advice regarding the Tamisium TE-175 would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Time is of the essence. I'm trying to order it ASAP.

M

MTgrower

Hi MT. Bout to take the plunge thanks to reading this and other threads, and because of your high praise of the extractor. Should I have him do the $40 assembly and pressure test? Or is this just a a waste of money? I'm trying to save every dime I can, because it probably won't pay for itself as fast as I need it to. Any info or advice regarding the Tamisium TE-175 would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Time is of the essence. I'm trying to order it ASAP.

I had him assemble mine and pressure test it. Mainly because it has to be done, and I wanted it done by a professional the first time. It also comes assembled and ready to go right out of the box for that extra forty bucks.

Grab an 8mm hex bolt driver to tighten up the valves every now and again, and you're good to go.

Top Bottom