Topping/Fimming outdoors

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Is it necessary and useful for increasing yield if you're growing from seed?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
depends on the plant/strain/phenotype

grayarea

grayarea

Just want them to push max weight. Don't care how big they get.
bigger plants can get bigger max weight .

If you simply let them go, which is fine, you'll want to clean out the insides of the plant and force it to spend its energy on the best bud sites. Kinda like lollipopping, but not.

keeping them perfectly healthy is better then cleaning the insides :cool: keeping the lower part trimmed up so you dont end up with branches on the ground is more important then cleaning the inside part. not totally against cleaning out the insides of plants just takes the right person for that job to go smooth and im not that guy .

SunGrown

SunGrown

I agree with grayarea here, I will usually top once around july and that is it, then I will prune some inside late july to mid august but that is it. I find pruning/topping too much outdoors makes for less yield.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
bigger plants can get bigger max weight .

keeping them perfectly healthy is better then cleaning the insides :cool: keeping the lower part trimmed up so you dont end up with branches on the ground is more important then cleaning the inside part. not totally against cleaning out the insides of plants just takes the right person for that job to go smooth and im not that guy .
LMAO! Depending on my back...? Good catch on the lowers. I save mine for cloning, since I wait til later in the season when I'll have a better idea of how a lady is performing.

grayarea

grayarea

i just stay connected from day 1. easier then trying to reconnect with them later in life. 1/2 connections are not allowed or tolerated @ my work place because of the effect they have on the people around them and the garden or job . everyone needs to have the same end goal in mind for things to move like they should .

when ever i have partner or other person in the garden with me it fucks up the relationship i have with the plants and how i treat them.

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
If you simply let them go, which is fine, you'll want to clean out the insides of the plant and force it to spend its energy on the best bud sites. Kinda like lollipopping, but not.
I agree with grayarea here, I will usually top once around july and that is it, then I will prune some inside late july to mid august but that is it. I find pruning/topping too much outdoors makes for less yield.
Im with SeaMaiden :)
I have been pruning my plants more and more each year.
I pruned the shitouta them this year..
I just want tops..so I shave their legs :)
My plants tell me where to prune too...the leaves turn yellow on the inside and lower parts that dont get sun ..when I take that yellow leaf off, I also take the small branches from that same area..Branches a 1/4 inch or smaller get cut.
i dont need the small stuff.

Prince Blanc

Prince Blanc

Proper pruning should almost always increase yield. Letting a plant go it unpredictable at best. Comparatively, a plant that has been pruned or trained properly should throw more tops than one that hasn't, IME.

grayarea

grayarea

letting a plant go natural is predictable with the right outdoor strains in the right spots . most of the strains people are choosing to grow outdoors at this time are not suited for outdoor growing in the places they are grown so topping fimming and training them isn't gonna make em more predictable , it just makes you more predictable .

below frigid

below frigid

I tie them down when they are young and have to tie them up when they are old. Maybe I should just leave them alone. Lol

grayarea

grayarea

how much string do u buy per year ? lol jk . tie down works but not if your going for jumbo sized plants causee its not a realistic approach to supporting the canopy makes for weak spots everywhere you tie the plant down . easier to tie them down indoors with steady growth rates outdoors you get a lot of spikes in growth that make it hard to keep up with that type of thing .

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
letting a plant go natural is predictable with the right outdoor strains in the right spots . most of the strains people are choosing to grow outdoors at this time are not suited for outdoor growing in the places they are grown so topping fimming and training them isn't gonna make em more predictable , it just makes you more predictable .
i totally agree. Thats why i said the training depends on the particular plant

I grew a huge True OG from indoor clone stock..
It had a bazillion branches,,it didnt have good airflow though
and i got pm. a nice big wifi next to it got pm too..:depressed:

Pruning the insides makes for better airflow..that means less chance of pm

TrueOG814

Latest posts

Top Bottom