Trouble With Cloning....

• Thread starter gardnguyahoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saguaro

Saguaro

Well if your not trying to succeed in life….then why try at all? :)

Honestly…. I used to use those Cells years ago, and immediately after tossing them, I started getting better results.

Then after some more tweaking, I was able to continuously get damn near perfect results EVERY single time!

This last time, I took 44 clones, and all of them rooted with No probs.

Honestly bro, I'd just toss it and get a new tray…. here's the one I use…it's only like $10

It's called a Grodan Propagation Tray….

Peace~

Tray

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Oh, and cut those leaves in half!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been hearing this a lot lately, i was wondering what the benefits of snippin those lil guys was.

Well if your not trying to succeed in life….then why try at all? :)

Honestly…. I used to use those Cells years ago, and immediately after tossing them, I started getting better results.

I didnt mean to come off ungrateful my dude. Im super down to succeed! I appreciate you laying down the foundation for me to do so.

I asked cause i just bought that damn cell tray. Not too expensive just annoying. Ill look into this one you suggested. I def want quick and accurate clones, and the photo you shared looks insane. Those roots are next level... Youve been too cool man, the info you shared is more than appreciated.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
In some good hands here bud! As mentioned prior, some (myself included) clone in cups of coco with no dome. >90% success rates and new growth starts around day 11 to day 14 after the cuts are taken. Cloning is an incredibly complex procedure at first for some reason, but once you hit your stride it's an enjoyable part of the cycle. As @motherlode said, cutting the leaves serves two valuable purposes. You don't trim whole leaves as you need them for metabolism processes but you don't need them dumping all their moisture out either until they have roots to reabsorb more liquids.

The whole purpose of rooting hormones is to soften the tissues and ease the process of throwing new roots. It's completely unnecessary though beneficial in some regard. I've read articles of people actually rooting cutting by burying sections of stem, which are still attached to the mother plant, under the dirt; doing nothing special aside from that. Just thought I would add that tidbit as I think it truly exemplifies how willing these plants are willing to throw new roots.

Imo the problem with all these rooting hormones and trays and cloning rigs is people are monetizing on the lack of confidence that new growers have regardless of them growing cannabis or anything else. Jiffy is a million dollar corp that probably sells seed starting and cloning kits as their bread and butter. And they're not alone in this crooked, money-hungry industry.

There's no "magic bullet" or top secret process for cloning. Nothing extravagant is needed aside from the organizational benefits of using trays versus having X number cups of medium floating around. If you continue having issues, I would recommend giving the coco with no dome a shot. I had issues until I started using that method and as initially stated, the results speak for themselves. I've tried rockwool, jiffy pucks, rapid rooters, in straight dirt, aerocloners, bubble cloners and coco was the winner for me personally.

Sorry for the rant, pretty stoned and the struggle of cloning is real at first. Just thought I'd add a bit of alternative perspective from your current method.

One Love,
tobh

Saguaro

Saguaro

Ive been hearing this a lot lately, i was wondering what the benefits of snippin those lil guys was.

I didnt mean to come off ungrateful my dude. Im super down to succeed! I appreciate you laying down the foundation for me to do so.

I asked cause i just bought that damn cell tray. Not too expensive just annoying. Ill look into this one you suggested. I def want quick and accurate clones, and the photo you shared looks insane. Those roots are next level... Youve been too cool man, the info you shared is more than appreciated.

I cut the leaves because at this stage of development, they don't need them and will only root Better without them!

Unrooted clones "don't" need their leaves because they don't need to concentrate on photosynthesis at this point and stage in their lives. ..so they don't need to encapsulate light into the fan leaves to store energy for later….. instead they can concentrate on root growth. Once roots begin to explode, then they can begin to grow their leaves out again to "trap" the light they need in order to grow strong and healthy.

As for just buying the cell tray…….. sorry man. But bite the bullet on the $3.00 or whatever you spent on that thing and use it for anything else except trying to root clones because it will cause you more headache in the long run then what you paid for it. Again, Trust Me!!!

I want nothing more then to see you succeed at this and I believe I have laid out a pretty solid foundation for you to work with.

What you do with this information is completely and totally up to you!

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

@gardnguyahoy Have you looked into a DIY aeroponic 5 gallon cloner or diy OXY cloner? I used rapid rooter for a while with decent success, I have used most all the hormones from hydro shops to walmart and IMO they don't do enough to justify the cost again IMO a cloner on a 1on/4off timer or a 15/tick tock is way more simple to use as long as you use the K.I.S.S (keep it stupid simple) method! make sure everything is nice and clean then take cuts at node spacing, some say on a 45° angle,take half of the big three fingers of your leafs and put in cloner, change water twice a week or anytime water gets slightly warm, use ice bottles to keep her cool wait a week or two 90% success no need for anything too fancy or from a bottle the 1/4 timer is kind fancy definitely expensive but that's just a luxury over tick tocks in no way needed.

FYI you don't really need clonex I just use plan water and jiffy peat pellets and have roots between 10-14 days. I all use is a heating pad under my clones and keep the dome on. Good luck

Yup this works/ed for me

I use Root Riots, Clonex Cloning Gel, as well as Clonex Cloning Solution @ 20ml per gallon of RO.

Soak Root Riots in Cloning Solution for no less then an hour.

Go and get yourself a kitchen plate and fill it with clonex solution to make a small reservoir.

Next, take your clone and place it on the plate, allowing it to submerge under the clonex solution.

Take your razor blade and make your 45* angle cut under the clonex solution to keep air from getting in the stem.

Next, dip the "tip only" in the Clonex Cloning Gel making sure that not too much is left on. (you don't need a giant glob)

Now, stick the stem into the Root Riot plugs until the stem nearly reaches all the way to the bottom of the plug.

Next, grab some clean scissors and cut all the leaves from the clone in half…maybe a little more.

Place clones in dome and NEVER spray the clones….EVER!

Only spray the inside of the dome!!!!

Close all air ports on dome and leave alone for 3-4 days! LITERALLY!

Keep T5's 2 feet away from top of dome and no more then 4 bulbs should be lit. (8 bulbs is too much light IME)

After 3-4 days…. take each clone and dunk it in "Fresh" Clonex Cloning Solution @ 20ml. per gallon of RO (10ml per half gal…etc)

After dunking the cubes….carefully squeeze any access solution from cubes and place back under the dome.

Spray inside of dome ONLY… NOT the clones!!!!

Leave alone for another 3-4 days and you should have small roots by then…

Good Luck~

That sounds extremely expensive and over complicated for my taste but I would never tell someone to change anything that works for them.

Oh, and cut those leaves in half!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed^^^^

In some good hands here bud! As mentioned prior, some (myself included) clone in cups of coco with no dome. >90% success rates and new growth starts around day 11 to day 14 after the cuts are taken. Cloning is an incredibly complex procedure at first for some reason, but once you hit your stride it's an enjoyable part of the cycle. As @motherlode said, cutting the leaves serves two valuable purposes. You don't trim whole leaves as you need them for metabolism processes but you don't need them dumping all their moisture out either until they have roots to reabsorb more liquids.

The whole purpose of rooting hormones is to soften the tissues and ease the process of throwing new roots. It's completely unnecessary though beneficial in some regard. I've read articles of people actually rooting cutting by burying sections of stem, which are still attached to the mother plant, under the dirt; doing nothing special aside from that. Just thought I would add that tidbit as I think it truly exemplifies how willing these plants are willing to throw new roots.

Imo the problem with all these rooting hormones and trays and cloning rigs is people are monetizing on the lack of confidence that new growers have regardless of them growing cannabis or anything else. Jiffy is a million dollar corp that probably sells seed starting and cloning kits as their bread and butter. And they're not alone in this crooked, money-hungry industry.

There's no "magic bullet" or top secret process for cloning. Nothing extravagant is needed aside from the organizational benefits of using trays versus having X number cups of medium floating around. If you continue having issues, I would recommend giving the coco with no dome a shot. I had issues until I started using that method and as initially stated, the results speak for themselves. I've tried rockwool, jiffy pucks, rapid rooters, in straight dirt, aerocloners, bubble cloners and coco was the winner for me personally.

Sorry for the rant, pretty stoned and the struggle of cloning is real at first. Just thought I'd add a bit of alternative perspective from your current method.

One Love,
tobh

Yes indeed I like this quote for sure here is one I did this way along with others just heard about this technique recently and think I like it.... ik the tips she was burnt when cutting was taken.

20150711 185155
20150711 185143

Overall you have a ton of options for cloning the best thing IMO to remember is K.I.S.S

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

in case anyone was interested in knowing, The two clones I cut from Chemdog and Ghost OG and used WATER ONLY instead of cloneX sprouted roots (my first ever, so hypppedd!!!) and plenty of them. The others that were in cloneX still have not pushed roots through the grow pellets.

AND these two WATER ONLY cuts were taken a day after the clonex cuts. I thought you guys would find this interesting. @Saguaro @KiLoEleMeNt @tobh @motherlode @Wildill @top of the crop

they were taken 16 (and 15) days ago

Pictures pending...

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I know some strains are hard to clone, especially indica dominant strains. I myself was having the same problem, stems getting waterlogged and turning to mush and falling over. Being new to cloning I watched a few youtube videos and started spraying them 15 times a day. Talked to my local hydro shop owner and he set me straight. Trim the big fan leaves off the bottom and cut half of each top leaf off as mentioned in earlier replies. When you first take the cuttings its ok to lightly mist the tops but dont soak them and try not to wet the stems. If the dome looks dry re mist it but dont re mist the cuttings. Some to the tougher strains to clone root better in dirt or coco husk.

Top Bottom