vape's 2013 outdoo

• Thread starter vaporedout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vaporedout

vaporedout

its all good :) i dont mind people stopping by and staying a while. and i know the excitement of your first grow

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Actually, I had a response to the chicken post already done--
but the thread went back on-topic:

----------------------------------------

Wow that takes me back, all the way to 1973 when I was growing on the slope behind my chicken coop shed at an antebellum mansion where my rent was tending polo ponies.

[This place was built in 1823 and had 20 rooms with 4 smokestack columns with a fireplace in every room, starting in the basement slave quarters. The lake in front had a dam with a water turbine that I traced the manufacturer of with the help of The Whole Earth Catalog. Contacted the company, sent 'em the serial number and they sent me docs on when it was manufactured; when it was shipped, and who, and where it was sent to.]

Right before harvest, the plants were heavily seeded, all the chickens "flew the coop" (escaped via a poorly locked door). I didn't know they were out all day and when I found 'em
they had stripped all the plants up as far as they could jump--
and were just kinda "resting" in the shade of the plants...

vaporedout

vaporedout

another little thing im trying

before:
DSC00833

after:
DSC00835

T is for.... time to leave?.?.? (my south park watchers will appreciate that one)

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
IMNSHO:

If you're intending furthur (heh) lateral growth yer gonna have to keep all those secondary stems below the level of the 2 mainstems or they'll become "suckers" and stop growth of the mainstem; which means you'll need to let the mainstems reach for the stars again until they look like they did before tying 'em down, then tie 'em down again on a higher plane and repeat as necessary. You'll have to be very diligent about always keeping the secondaries lower than the two mainstem tops--
until flowering begins...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
i saw some japanese maples for sale at a nursery that were already shaped out like a wall.

I can see why you went for this after seeing an espaliered Japanese Maple.
Three or four weeks ago I was at Home Depot and I heard someone exclaim--
"Ohmagod! They're allowed to sell those things here? (not an espalier)...

vaporedout

vaporedout

I can see why you went for this after seeing an espaliered Japanese Maple.
Three or four weeks ago I was at Home Depot and I heard someone exclaim--
"Ohmagod! They're allowed to sell those things here? (not an espalier)...

so the other tops have to be tied down under the main stem? or is it under the original tops? ive got a few of the same strain to mess with so im gonna try a few things.

did the couple think the maple was weed?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
so the other tops have to be tied down under the main stem? or is it under the original tops? ive got a few of the same strain to mess with so im gonna try a few things.

---------------------------------

> so the other tops have to be tied down...

< I don't know, you just gotta experiment--
just don't let 'em get above the two mainstem tops...

--------------------------------

Yep...

==================================

vaporedout

vaporedout

---------------------------------

> so the other tops have to be tied down...

< I don't know, you just gotta experiment--
just don't let 'em get above the two mainstem tops...

--------------------------------

Yep...

==================================

kewl, thanks.. keep an eye out, ill take pics of the progress. i have a few different varieties of jap. maples. i love that tree, possibly because it resembles marijuana. i like the unique ones. my favorite is the acer butterfly.

vaporedout

vaporedout

so all my clones rooted. the last one just went out today. that means one cutting took a month to root. is that normal? i kept about 7 and let the rest go to needy homes :)
DSC00867
DSC00866

gettin ready to tie this girl down a bit more, make a few other bends and just mess with her
DSC00869

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

its the teas...... first year doing them and its going to be "THE WAY" i do things now. i always thought teas were overkill and to hard to do. boy was i wrong. my veggies are lookin good too. got my corn ro's goin and they get the tea too cant wait till those are done also :)
View attachment 319294

i was also gifted some seeds from a club. the strain is ICE. weve grown this indoors before and didnt like it. but the club owner said they are an awesome outdoor strain. so he gave me 5 seeds. im popping 3, if they end up being monsters ill have 2 for next year. ill have to start doin mothers next year

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

its the teas...... first year doing them and its going to be "THE WAY" i do things now. i always thought teas were overkill and to hard to do. boy was i wrong. my veggies are lookin good too. got my corn ro's goin and they get the tea too cant wait till those are done also :)
View attachment 319294

i was also gifted some seeds from a club. the strain is ICE. weve grown this indoors before and didnt like it. but the club owner said they are an awesome outdoor strain. so he gave me 5 seeds. im popping 3, if they end up being monsters ill have 2 for next year. ill have to start doin mothers next year

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Can you tell which one of my wife's lily of the Niles are getting teas? We made a little side bet when she told me growing weed was different from growing " her kind of plants" lol, can't wait to collect on that side bet! Teas with caps bennies are what made the difference.
IMG 20130708 062652 275
IMG 20130708 062718 340
Both plants were roughly the same size when we started and they are right across from each other,she just saw me posting this and flipped me the bird,lol.

B

Burned Haze

the Cherry OG pack I've been growing past year did well, infanct it's def a heavy feeds like the description says by the breeder (calmag and N whole cycle with star dose of all)

Liking your choices!

vaporedout

vaporedout

the Cherry OG pack I've been growing past year did well, infanct it's def a heavy feeds like the description says by the breeder (calmag and N whole cycle with star dose of all)

Liking your choices!
just about to hit em with some cal mag, they are feeders. i lost that deep green and now theyre a regular green. still no sex though (for the plant) i keep hittin them with my fish emulsion and they perk up after that then ask for more.... i just uppotted them to a 5 gal so hopefully they should show me something soon. on another note i must have a breeding ground for praying mantis. last year i had babies and this year.....
SECURITY IS BACK
DSC00871

and yes that is OLD thripe damage. with a little old mite damage mixed in as well. new growth is ok. the freaky thing is, i was just LST this plant and never saw this guy until after when i was watering.

vaporedout

vaporedout

wow its been a while, damn camera is always actin up. things are blooming and moving right along. ive got caterpillars, theyre pissin me off. i keep checking them daily and finding a bit more. i sprayed right up to flowering but as im reading i think i should have gone a week into flower. anywho heres a few pics before i got rained on.
the plant i tied down like a T
DSC01054

then some maui (third eye mama, not sure if your around but, im curious to see your maui)
DSC01051

then trainwreck, but im thinking it may be somethin else with that purple creapin in. this plant had the caterpillars bad, notice the poop :)
DSC01050

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I'd always wanted to do "the espalier thing" ever since I heard that's how they grew in Thailand: like grapes or berries; running 'em laterally on a bamboo trellis. (I never found out if that was true or not).
When you brought up espaliers above, on June 20, I happened to have had a very late volunteer pop up where I'd previously dumped soil along the perimeter; too bad it was facing east instead of south, I had to pit the two mainstems against each other to keep 'em somewhat even:

Vol1

I pruned it where I would normally make my first pruning, at the internode between the first and second tri-leaflet pairs:

Vol2

Time to remove secondary stems below the first pruning:

Vol3 Vol4 Vol5

Time to start tying down:

Vol6 Vol7

On August 9 the mainstem split as I was tightening the tie-downs. It wouldn't have split if the plant had been tied to a trellis instead of tied to the ground:

Vol8

The secondary stems at the first three nodes on both sides of the mainstem pruning were pruned twice (producing 4 stems each) to keep 'em below the two mainstem tops, and the next three pairs of secondaries were pruned once (producing 2 stems each):

Vol8x

After she started flowering no more pruning was necessary:

Vol9 Vol10

Would have been very interesting if I had started two months earlier--
on the south facing perimeter...

Vol11

Latest posts

Top Bottom