Very Basic First Grow

• Thread starter brian77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My new leaves and even ones from the very start of flowering are very thin. Think this is signs of sativa. I'm not sure though. Someone else has commented about it what do you think?View attachment 858936
It looks to be Sativa or Sativa dominant, which is just a way of saying it's a Sativa hybrid, mostly. The leaves are thin and the plant looks kind of lanky, which is another characteristic of Sativa's. These usually grow pretty tall, so you need to keep the height down to a reasonable level for your operation. If you can provide side lighting, you will probably increase your yield considerably because the lanky frame allows a lot of light to reach deeper into the plant. When you finish your plant, I would recommend that you let it go as long as possible...or until it stops growing. 12 weeks of flowering is pretty much the norm for these, with a lot of the weight and goo coming in the last few weeks. You won't find any nuggets or skunky buds, but some Sativa's effects are kind of scary and not the first bud of choice for a novice. The strains I have had in the past were almost psychedelic with very low CBD and high THC levels. I am currently trying to grow a pure Sativa but having less than stellar results. Sativa seeds are smaller and much less robust, at least the seeds I got were. They sprouted fairly quickly, then stalled. Sativa will sometimes do that as the roots develop, but it's been several days and the other seeds that were started are starting their 1st set of 3 leaves...the Sativa's have just opened the seed leaves.
Live and learn. I don't know how long I'm going to live, but I'm still learning!

brian77

brian77

It looks to be Sativa or Sativa dominant, which is just a way of saying it's a Sativa hybrid, mostly. The leaves are thin and the plant looks kind of lanky, which is another characteristic of Sativa's. These usually grow pretty tall, so you need to keep the height down to a reasonable level for your operation. If you can provide side lighting, you will probably increase your yield considerably because the lanky frame allows a lot of light to reach deeper into the plant. When you finish your plant, I would recommend that you let it go as long as possible...or until it stops growing. 12 weeks of flowering is pretty much the norm for these, with a lot of the weight and goo coming in the last few weeks. You won't find any nuggets or skunky buds, but some Sativa's effects are kind of scary and not the first bud of choice for a novice. The strains I have had in the past were almost psychedelic with very low CBD and high THC levels. I am currently trying to grow a pure Sativa but having less than stellar results. Sativa seeds are smaller and much less robust, at least the seeds I got were. They sprouted fairly quickly, then stalled. Sativa will sometimes do that as the roots develop, but it's been several days and the other seeds that were started are starting their 1st set of 3 leaves...the Sativa's have just opened the seed leaves.
Live and learn. I don't know how long I'm going to live, but I'm still learning!
Great information. I'll sort out the side lighting this evening. I will let it go the whole way too. That was going to be my next question. Thanks again!!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Great information. I'll sort out the side lighting this evening. I will let it go the whole way too. That was going to be my next question. Thanks again!!
I use a different style of lighting than most growers. I use HID lighting, but the bulb hangs vertically with a round white reflector, not an enclosed hood. This gives me light from above, but it also gives off a lot of light horizontally. The walls are painted bright white and reflect a lot of it back. When the plants are fully growing, I sort of surround the bulb with the plants, eventually the walls hold up the big branches and the white really helps with the tall plants, even if the plants grow a little higher than the light's level. Without a hood, the light still can shine upward. Obviously this won't work for most LED or hooded reflectors.
I had several identical clones grown under some slightly different conditions. FWIW, using a HPS for flowering helps, but using both a HPS and a MH provided the biggest and frostiest buds. Mixing colors in LED would probably do the same. As for finishing, my fan leaves turn yellow and fall off, like trees in autumn. Waiting for the leaves to dry up and fall off provided buds that were much heftier and much greasier as opposed to identical clones taken two weeks earlier. These are different than most folks grow...keep up the good work and patience and you will be impressed at how well these end up. The effects are different too!

brian77

brian77

I use a different style of lighting than most growers. I use HID lighting, but the bulb hangs vertically with a round white reflector, not an enclosed hood. This gives me light from above, but it also gives off a lot of light horizontally. The walls are painted bright white and reflect a lot of it back. When the plants are fully growing, I sort of surround the bulb with the plants, eventually the walls hold up the big branches and the white really helps with the tall plants, even if the plants grow a little higher than the light's level. Without a hood, the light still can shine upward. Obviously this won't work for most LED or hooded reflectors.
I had several identical clones grown under some slightly different conditions. FWIW, using a HPS for flowering helps, but using both a HPS and a MH provided the biggest and frostiest buds. Mixing colors in LED would probably do the same. As for finishing, my fan leaves turn yellow and fall off, like trees in autumn. Waiting for the leaves to dry up and fall off provided buds that were much heftier and much greasier as opposed to identical clones taken two weeks earlier. These are different than most folks grow...keep up the good work and patience and you will be impressed at how well these end up. The effects are different too!

brian77

brian77

Thanks pal! The pistols are starting to change. I know I've to wait for the tricomes but how long do you reckon have left??

20190302 145953
20190302 150045
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm lousy at telling when to take the plants down by examining the trichomes. I look at the whole plant and new bud sites. When the plant is finishing and is nearly done, it is usually about 2 weeks after the flowering seems to slow down. You will probably see a lot more trichomes by letting it fully finish, but in my opinion, it's much better to let them go too long than not long enough. I find that the buds put on weight and get oily during the last weeks, taking them down early really makes the buds lighter and puffier. Your plants look good but I would say they have at least 3-4 more weeks...but it's hard to tell from pictures, at least for me.

M

mmjcard420

Nice growing marijuana, It is increasing day by day. You can see result of marijuana growing plant in 15 to 20 days. The growing marijuana result is coming good response.

jeffparker

jeffparker

The most important tip for growing your marijuana plants keep cleaning and care on daily base.

brian77

brian77

I'm lousy at telling when to take the plants down by examining the trichomes. I look at the whole plant and new bud sites. When the plant is finishing and is nearly done, it is usually about 2 weeks after the flowering seems to slow down. You will probably see a lot more trichomes by letting it fully finish, but in my opinion, it's much better to let them go too long than not long enough. I find that the buds put on weight and get oily during the last weeks, taking them down early really makes the buds lighter and puffier. Your plants look good but I would say they have at least 3-4 more weeks...but it's hard to tell from pictures, at least for me.
Thanks. I'm glad you're saying that long. I'm still hoping that the buds will get bigger

brian77

brian77

Thanks. I'm glad you're saying that long. I'm still hoping that the buds will get bigger
Definitely improving. Staying patient; )

brian77

brian77

Definitely improving. Staying patient; )
Hey guys just an update and a question. I'm on holidays in 3 weeks. Do you reckon I'll be at harvest by then. I've no choice but to cut it down. Have someone house minding and can't have it there :(

20190307 141156
20190307 141115
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I don't know if it will be done in 3 weeks or not...Sativa's can take forever to finish and yours's seems to be still going strong.
Look at it this way...they have to come down in 3 weeks, right? It doesn't matter if they will be finished or not, but they will be a LOT better and thicker than they are now. It will also give you a much better idea of what it takes to grow Sativa...and improve on it next time! I think you've done a good job for a newer grower, just add to your knowledge base with each grow.

brian77

brian77

I don't know if it will be done in 3 weeks or not...Sativa's can take forever to finish and yours's seems to be still going strong.
Look at it this way...they have to come down in 3 weeks, right? It doesn't matter if they will be finished or not, but they will be a LOT better and thicker than they are now. It will also give you a much better idea of what it takes to grow Sativa...and improve on it next time! I think you've done a good job for a newer grower, just add to your knowledge base with each grow.
Thanks!! Yeah, I've learned loads. Definitely will improve on my second grow. Great with the help from you guys!

brian77

brian77

I've a friend on his first grow, he's asked me for advice! I'm a complete novice so I thought I'd ask you :)
One of his leaves is bubbling slightly. The rest looks really healthy. It's growing really fast. Any idea what might be causing the bubbles? Won't let me upload pics. I'll keep trying

brian77

brian77

I've a friend on his first grow, he's asked me for advice! I'm a complete novice so I thought I'd ask you :)
One of his leaves is bubbling slightly. The rest looks really healthy. It's growing really fast. Any idea what might be causing the bubbles? Won't let me upload pics. I'll keep trying

brian77

brian77

IMG 20190309 WA0002
IMG 20190309 WA0001
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That just looks like it was damaged a little as a young seedling. Dont sweat the small stuff like that. Plant looks fine.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That just looks like it was damaged a little as a young seedling. Dont sweat the small stuff like that. Plant looks fine.
Until plants get a little further along, damaged or gimpy leaves are fairly common. After the 4th set of leaves shows, the plant will be fairly stable and will be fine. FWIW, you never see nutrient defiencies at this early stage unless you are using a water based system that has NO nutrients in it. I bring this up because a lot of new growers panic anytime they see ANY leaf damage or bruises. The first reaction is to dump nutrients and cal-mag on it. Your plants look fine and have no problems that I can see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom