What Is The Deal With Grow Glasses?

• Thread starter somethingwit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
somethingwit

somethingwit

Being new to everything, I was really surprised to see actual grow sunglasses. Seems like a pretty popular thing, so I am thinking about getting some. But, I am curious as to what they are for. Is it just because of the intensity of the light, or is it preventing damage from the UV lights (I have LED)? What makes grow glasses, well, sunglasses for growing in particular?

A big part of me is curious if my Costa sunglasses that I have been wearing works perfectly fine, or do I think that it is fine but I am actually causing damage that I do not know about. When I wear them while working in the tent with the light on, it does darken things up a bit, but I also feel like I'm seeming color a bit more normally through the glasses.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Being new to everything, I was really surprised to see actual grow sunglasses. Seems like a pretty popular thing, so I am thinking about getting some. But, I am curious as to what they are for. Is it just because of the intensity of the light, or is it preventing damage from the UV lights (I have LED)? What makes grow glasses, well, sunglasses for growing in particular?

A big part of me is curious if my Costa sunglasses that I have been wearing works perfectly fine, or do I think that it is fine but I am actually causing damage that I do not know about. When I wear them while working in the tent with the light on, it does darken things up a bit, but I also feel like I'm seeming color a bit more normally through the glasses.
They work in several ways. First the ones for full spectrum also corrects the cri so you can see the true colors. Secondly it protects against uvb. Third extreme intensity of the grow lights can easily damage the eyes ime, i use leds too and they emit nearly zero uvb (tho full spectrum blurple lights may emit more not sure) but still the intensity hurts the eyes, i use a normal sunglass too because of the low uvb from leds but when i don’t and work with my plants for an hour or so under those lights, i can feel my eyes feel sore and weird.

somethingwit

somethingwit

Third extreme intensity of the grow lights can easily damage the eyes ime, i use leds too and they emit nearly zero uvb (tho full spectrum blurple lights may emit more not sure)...

Lol I have seen the "blurple" term tossed around a few times. What is that? The full spectrum lights that have the reds and blues?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Lol I have seen the "blurple" term tossed around a few times. What is that? The full spectrum lights that have the reds and blues?
Yes, also there are cheap chinese cobs that are truly pink, i think the term fits to those lights better but i think people use blurple as a generic term for all of those lights.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Just bought a pair of the method seven led glasses on amazon. Got a couple gift cards for my birthday so I figured I’d give them a shot. I do get headaches from looking at intense light these days. Wasn’t an issue in my younger days. Great info though guys. I really appreciate it.

kalikushkid

kalikushkid

Basically in a nut shell. Regular sunglasses will protect you from the harmful rays. However, if you want color correction too....Method Seven grow room glasses. This is especially true for the burple LEDs and HPS.
good to know... i've just been using my regular sunglasses for now till i order some. regular better than nothing right?

kalikushkid

kalikushkid

Yeah I try not to either... If I do its by accident or to film a video lol. But half the time i forgot to throw my shades on so i just made sure not too look at the light. Only thing is I'm growing in a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 closet and the walls are all white so its pretty reflective no matter where i look! Ima try to start wearing my glasses more

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Cob light can seriously hurt your eyes, if your around a large grow u dont want to hurt your eyes.

Morgs1980

Morgs1980

Use fishing glasses if in with them for a while, doesn’t show true colours but my eyes don’t hurt after lol 😎😎

Top Bottom