1/2 hp Flotec pump or 1/2 hp Hydro Innovations new pump?

• Thread starter JohnnyScience
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyScience

Its seems Flotec pumps are very high quality, are made of cast iron & it's what HI used to sell with all of their product. They now have their own line of pumps that they claim are up to 66% more efficient depending on the size and made of SS & plastic.

But they are about double the price compared to Flotecs

What do you guys think? Are the Hydro Innovations pumps worth it?

The other thing I like about the Flotecs is they have additional 1/2" HP ports on the pump head so you can hook up a chiller & hydrogen pro separate from the main port which would feed a manifold for additional equipment without affecting the pressure of the manifold. .

This setup will NOT be cooling lights, just Hydrogen pro, chiller, reservoir coils & dehumidifier.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Its seems Flotec pumps are very high quality, are made of cast iron & it's what HI used to sell with all of their product. They now have their own line of pumps that they claim are up to 66% more efficient depending on the size and made of SS & plastic.

But they are about double the price compared to Flotecs

What do you guys think? Are the Hydro Innovations pumps worth it?

The other thing I like about the Flotecs is they have additional 1/2" HP ports on the pump head so you can hook up a chiller & hydrogen pro separate from the main port which would feed a manifold for additional equipment without affecting the pressure of the manifold. .

This setup will NOT be cooling lights, just Hydrogen pro, chiller, reservoir coils & dehumidifier.

You didn't mention how big a chiller you got, or (other than the HydroGen) the capacity of any of the systems you plan to cool with it.

If I was you, I wouldn't use a chiller to cool your HydroGen CO2 burner, either- just drain to waste into your hot tub or something. ;) Otherwise, it's too damned expensive! Think about it; you're heating water with gas, and then paying for the electricity to cool it off again? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Just running the hot water down the drain would be far cheaper. If you want, although this isn't the right season to be thinking about this, you could run a fan blowing through an Ice Box to cool this water, and then use the hot air exhaust to heat your house!

You're on the right track not cooling lights, if you can run sealed and vented hoods, then go that route. Saves big bux, take the word from the man who knows, cuz I run it this way. If you're running open hoods like adjust-a-wings, then of course you'll need to factor in extra cooling capacity for that load. No matter what, you will need to cool your room air somehow, what are you using for that? If the answer is anything but 'my chiller', I'd be asking 'why?' Especially with the kind of coin you're sinking into this cooling plant already.

For the small setup you're contemplating, 1/2HP is too much, no matter who makes it. You'd be fine with 1/4hp. I have a flotec 1/2hp pump running w/ a 2 ton chiller, but it cools several rooms, plus several RDWC, and in fact it does a pretty good job of dehuey, too...and 1/2hp is still overkill, lol.

I would recommend flotec unless you have extra money laying around. I do indeed use one of the 1/2" nipples to run water through my chiller on its own dedicated line. Works well.

J

JohnnyScience

The chiller is 1 HP and I'm going to be going all LED, no HID/MH.

Cooling the hydrogen is really the main point why I got the chiller. Id rather cool a reservoir continuously than waste all of the water doing a drain to waste. You've been they only one suggesting to not go this route. There is a cost to doing business either way you look at it. Hopefully the cO2 addition will dramatically increase yields to counter the cost of doing business.

I was hoping to go centrifugal with the pump and it doesn't seem Flotec offers a 1/4, their smallest seems to be 1/2.

HI does offer a 1/3 HP but it's the most expensive option. (not sure why)

I was going to run the 1hp chiller on one 1/2 HP barb along with the hydrogen on another 1/2" HP barb while building a manifold for the remainder of the equipment off of the main feed, 2 reservoir cool coils & a dehumidifier.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

can you get a big old res and just keep it outside in the shade and circulate the water back and forth with out cooling it? it sounds eal expensive just to cool a co2 burner, i know a guy who just keeps a 100 gallon res in his shop and circulates the water back and forth, the burner doesn't run all the time.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Anytime you have the option to go w/ name brand real world products vs hydro product, you should usually go w/ the name brand real world brand as they are usually better quality and have better warranties. Also a lot of the time it is the same item but they slapped there sticker on it and a fat mark up to go w/ that. In fact almost every single item HI sells is relabeled item. Everything you mentioned can be bought/made/sourced elsewhere for way cheap.

Top Bottom