1.5ft x 3ft grow tent with two 100w lights?

• Thread starter whrzwaldo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

You want 30 watts per square foot minimum to flower. 1.5x3 is 4.5 square feet. 4.5x30 is 135watts minimum. 200 watts would give you around 45 watts per square foot, plenty to maximize the space. Run them at 80% to get 160 watts or 35 watts per square foot. Perfect. Plus, having two lights you can grow two different height plants and still have tailored lighting for each.

W

whrzwaldo

You want 30 watts per square foot minimum to flower. 1.5x3 is 4.5 square feet. 4.5x30 is 135watts minimum. 200 watts would give you around 45 watts per square foot, plenty to maximize the space. Run them at 80% to get 160 watts or 35 watts per square foot. Perfect. Plus, having two lights you can grow two different height plants and still have tailored lighting for each.
Thank you!

Blastfact

Blastfact

Thank you! I’ll take this as I’m in a grey area. Not too much light - but a bit over what’s recommended?
There is no such thing as to much light if you have dimmer control and can raise and lower the lights. NorthernOrganics is correct with the basic rule of thumb math for sq. ft. / watts. Fact is IMHO and growing for a very long time your just a little lite. I grow in a 3' x 3' tent and used a HLG 260. And the basic math supported that light. But in practice it was always a little short when it came to truly filling the tent with good even light. So it's been updated to Rspec and I added another 260 Rspec kit light and a UVA-30. Now I have great light and two ways to control it....

W

whrzwaldo

There is no such thing as to much light if you have dimmer control and can raise and lower the lights. NorthernOrganics is correct with the basic rule of thumb math for sq. ft. / watts. Fact is IMHO and growing for a very long time your just a little lite. I grow in a 3' x 3' tent and used a HLG 260. And the basic math supported that light. But in practice it was always a little short when it came to truly filling the tent with good even light. So it's been updated to Rspec and I added another 260 Rspec kit light and a UVA-30. Now I have great light and two ways to control it....
Unfortunately I don’t have dimmer control. If I returned my lights and bought 2 75w grow lights it would give me around 33.333 watts / sq foot. Would that be better?

Blastfact

Blastfact

Unfortunately I don’t have dimmer control. If I returned my lights and bought 2 75w grow lights it would give me around 33.333 watts / sq foot. Would that be better?
No,,, why would going with less light be better. By the basic math your ok and have exceeded what many would call the minimum amount of light needed. In your application I would be wanting 300 watts with a good light pattern with a dimmer and of course the ability to raise and lower them or it.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Remember, it's 30 watts per square foot MINIMUM. 50 watts per square foot will make better, denser, more buds. It's about dialing it in to the plants and pushing them to their best. Dimmer control gives you that power, but you can always raise and lower the lights.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Im with Blast, your light setup will work fine, but 2x 150watt lights with dimmers would be that much better.

Top Bottom