10 seeds - how would YOU make more of them?

• Thread starter Szyslack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Szyslack

First, I know this topic to some can hardly be categorized as breeding so if it belongs elsewhere, please move it, thx :)

Right, well, now then... Ok, so let's say I got this pack of 10 seeds from a well-known, well-reputed breeder, no doubt the quality of the work is top grade.

But uhm, 10 seeds aren't really that many if you want to find a nice mother for future grows, maybe you wanna share some seeds with some friends, who knows maybe it'll work outside? In short, it would be nice with more seeds...

How would you go about making the most of those 10 seeds?
10 plants, 100% open pollination?
Carefully selected donors of each sex?

Please suggest your ideas, I am also thinking of seed stash renewal here

:character0053:

Thanks, Peace

fortwunty

fortwunty

you could find a keeper, reveg her, take cuts, spray some of the cuts (GA3/STS/CS) and collect the pollen and pollinate the other clones to make some feminized beans. then you'd still have your keeper mom plus a whole bunch of feminized beans from her in which you could hunt for another keeper.

H

HappyGrower

I would pick out the best of both sexs, collect some pollen, then pollenate the female. You could do just 1-2 branchs, and still end up with hundreds of seeds.

Take Care, Happy Grower

420king-MASSES

you could do an open pollination with the best male with all the females/ mark each plant take notes /then make sure you keep the original male alive threw cuttings / pop your favorite plants beans/ keep your favs beans for you and your people and for future projects/ give the rest to the farm for the freebies

S

Skunkenstein

Yup, Its a No-Brainer..If it's a well Known strain and More seeds are readily available use your best Male and Pollinate cuttings from Each Female Plant.Or if it's a rare strain do an Open Pollination with all members to save the Line.Since the strain is a probable Hybrid{F-1}, The second generation will be the Place too Look{F-2's} for something really special.I did the same exact thing with Grape Krush.In the F-2 selections I found a super heavy Pheno that yields right there,with Swt#3 and Lui. I also studded out the best Gk male to several different Cuts and some of those Hybrids are doing Fantastic!! So good Luck and enjoy making some seeds..I love it!!

Venom818

Venom818

I would just do an open pollination with all 10 seeds let them have an orgy.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would do exactly as Venom says, pure open pollination using all parents available. This gives you the largest sample of genetic information that's available within that line. The few times I have made the foray into "breeding" (I, too, use the term loosely, my only goal was to keep certain genetics in seed form) this is how I've done it based on the advice of people more knowledgeable/familiar with breeding than I.

S

Szyslack

Thanks all for your replies.

I must admit, what Venom and Seamaiden suggest was what I had in mind before making the post. Theoretically it should give me the most options in the next grow.

Of course selecting individual mothers and fathers would be the best way if I knew what I was looking for in the strain, to me though that's sort of the next step down the line.

Also with regards to using GA3/STS/CS - to me that's messing a bit too much with nature (yes I know, growing outdoor plants inside under artificial lights isn't very natural either... :P ), just like I don't really like the idea of selfing females - there's something missing imho.

But thanks again for taking time to reply guys, very much appreciated :)

Mr. Greengenes

Mr. Greengenes

Venom is right, use all the males and pollinate all the females. You can't choose a best male on sight, only way is to progeny test. Using all the males' pollin is basically the same as progeny testing. Also, don't just grow out the seeds of the best looking female, do the #'s 2 and 3 as well. Go back and plant more of the seeds from the lady that wins that progeny test.

Top Bottom