100 amp main breaker electrical question

• Thread starter cheech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DIAMOND MOFO

my question is this:

i live in california. the minimum size power service one can have installed in a house is 100 amps. is that 100amps of 240v or 100amps of 120v?

D

DIAMOND MOFO

yeah, you guys are both wrong. i am right. it's 240v service that hits the house. it is separated into two circuits that are 120v each. you can put them back together again in order to run 240v appliances such as AC's or clothing dryers.

Summary, the minimum allowed service size for a residential home in california is 100A at 240v.

D

DIAMOND MOFO

no one can provide a link? isn't there an electrician in the house?

M

mrdizzle

all you need to do is use a double pole breaker, 2x120= 240, my girls house didnt have a 240 subpanel so we hired someone to do it, he put in a double pole 60amp breaker, ran 6awg wire to a subpanel, one wire in each pole of the breaker, cost $500 bucks and took 11minutes

D

DIAMOND MOFO

Yeah. Mr. Diz. Thanks man. I knew it was something like that. And it sounds like you did what I might do.

I am talking to nowirenuts.ca. They said they can create a flip box for a my system (5kwatt lights and 2 ton ac and 100pint humidifier (x2)) and connect it to a 60A circuit. And I thought the guy was misunderstanding me because how can all that stuff fit on a 120v 60a circuit. But I knew I didn't know jack about electrical systems so I started reading. And it is sort of confusing but I am starting to understand it. He was talking about 240v not 120v.

But if there is no subpanel then I am going to have to wire one myself because i cant hire an electrician to do it. I ordered a school book yesterday.

here is another link to a thread where they discuss having 100a of service at 240v.
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-lighting/100-amp-house-188861.html

D

DIAMOND MOFO

now i have to start looking at pictures of subpanels so that i don't rent a house that is without one.

L

Lost

all you need to do is use a double pole breaker, 2x120= 240, my girls house didnt have a 240 subpanel so we hired someone to do it, he put in a double pole 60amp breaker, ran 6awg wire to a subpanel, one wire in each pole of the breaker, cost $500 bucks and took 11minutes

Hahahah, I almost spilled beer thru my nosed when I read that. $500, holy shit hahaha!

Fucking racket! Ive got so little in my boxes its not even funny. Decided from day one I didn't want to mess with an electrician Best move I ever made. If you read and educate yourself, its cake. But you have to know if your handy or not. Some people are psudo-handy. They just think they are and everything they touch turns to shit. True story..:rastadancing:

L

Lost

Oh, and a voltage wand will save your life (wand that lights up when you put it near live wires.) Great way to make sure your not going to shock yourself.. Its all super easy if you just read a shit load of how to's and stuff. Home rennovation sites have great how to's on how to add a subpanel for a jucuzzi (or 10 1000watt lights, lol)..

N

noone88

Be careful modifying the panel when you rent a house, especially if you're in CA. Homeowners are catching onto this. If the panel is mounted on the outside wall, mount the subpanel on the inside (opposite of the main panel), usually in the garage. It'll be a bit less noticeable.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

FYI.... When adding a sub pannel the BIGGEST misstake by DIY's is bonding the neutral and the ground, this is a NO NO . So buy a ground bar

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Good point there stickerdick. You should probably add an earth ground (metal rod driven a few feet into the actual earth outside that connects to the sub panel ground) to be safe as well.

J

Jalisco Kid

There is a bit of misinformation in this thread. I would do a lot of reading then pay a electrician for some of his time to go over your plans. If you rented my house you would never be able to work until you pay for burning my house down. Just tell the electrician your roommate is out of state but wanted you to have a sub panel installed. That way your ignorance will be understood.
Why do you need a dpdt ?
40a circuits in my barrio needs #8 wire.
Suerte JK

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Def hire the electrician.

I would do a lot of reading then pay a electrician for some of his time to go over your plans.

DO THIS!

if you have to ask the questions that you're asking . . . you shouldn't be anywhere near 220. that shit is dangerous to work with . . . and it's totally unforgiving when you get it wrong. many many years ago i worked as a sparky . . . and when i'm upgrading a main nowadays i bring in an electrician to work with me so that we can check each other's work to be safe.

Papa

Top Bottom