1000w Jillybean Scrog *on a budget!*

• Thread starter G.M.FUZY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

G.M.FUZY

This is my first real grow, I had one prior grow but it was just two plants and didn't work out so well but I learned a lot from that one and and have decided to invest the bit of cash I have and build the best setup I can I have put about $600 into it and that includes plants and 2x 1000 watt hps sets. Forgive me for it being so white trash; any recommendations are welcome!

I dont have a whole lot of cash so I wont be buying too much retail hydro gear...or on craigslist used, if I cant find it used DIY is my other option I'm pretty handy with a background in hvac so the ventilation is not an issue.

Bill of Materials
tent and frame:
8x 10' pieces of 2 1/2" schedule 40 pvc (home depot $2.75)=$22
4x tee fittings (home depot $2.00)=$8.00
8x corner fittings ( $1.10 local hydro store)=$8.80
1x550/ parachute cord (home depot $2.75)=$2.75
3x Tarp Heavy duty reflective 12'x14' (harbour freight $5.99*sale* 7.99 normally)=$17.97
1xGrommet kit( harbour frieght $5.99)=$5.99
---------------------------------------------
Total: [$65.51 before tax]

All together I spent about $75 after taxes and I have enough scrap materials to make a wicked vegbox for next time. we opted not to use the third tent citing we we're really worried about light; the tent is more to keep the humidity in and our 4 month old puppy that likes to eat clones out! Though if you're looking make it light tight you may want to double it up ...especially with the HPS going. The tent measures 4'6"x 4'6"x 6'6" and includes a 2'x4' scrog screen made of bamboo and chicken wire with a cost of about $5.00 to bring the total to $80 for the Structure.

Next

Lighting:
5x 2lamp t8 fixtures I decided to try a few different brands here to get an idea of what works the best, they range in price from $10- $20. Looking at the hydrofarms t5's I figured 2-lamp fixtures would be better for my needs (being able to maneuver them better to distribute light more evenly.also I felt the t8's the best choice because they don't get hot at all and have the best lumen/ watt ratio for my setup.Plus I have 2 extra lamps for $20 less than the Hydrofarms 8-lamp.

Brand one
Lights of america:
no switch fixture:[$10x2] one burned out overnight the first night may just be faulty.
the other fixture seems to be working fine. I will return the burnt one tomorrow.
**flimsy white plastic reflector def' a budget fixture**
2nd
lights of america:[$15x1]
fixture with pull chain switch. been using for a week and had no problems.
lightweight kind of flimsy reflector
3rd
Lithonia[$20x2]
nice all around fixture sturdy metal reflector best quality (out of the 3)buy these if you can afford them.
Finally
the HPS
I bought 2 HPS sets off of a dude for only $160 a piece
Hydrofarms 1000watt sun system yieldmaster II -6" supreme w/ Hortilux "eye" super 1000 watt enhanced spectrum lamps.
**I only plan to use one during this grow**

-------------------------------------------------
total lighting cost: $435 [before taxes]
-minus $160 for the the unused light
actual total=$275

Plants

Jilly beans
$10x12
these were actually really nice clones ranging in size from 10" - 14" with good branches all over.
-------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost of plants=$120

__________________________________________________________________________________
2__________________________________________________________________________________

For the scrog itself I will only be using 8 of these plants.
I'm not sure what I'll do with the other 4. anyone have any ideas?
I can rearrange a bit and possibly make about another 2' of space if
need be (as of right now I don't have enough room).
Day one of Scrog:
I have been veging for about 3 weeks and the guy I got them from did the same for a total of 6 weeks so far; under t8's 24/0
The scrog screen is constructed out of bamboo and 1" square chicken wire measuring 2'x4' and the plants are staggered in a zig-zag pattern with about a 8" of space in between the top of the buckets and the bottom of the screen. Allowing me more than enough room to work comfortably below.
Day two:
The plants have been under the screen for 24hrs now. they have grown nearly half an inch over night. I twisty tied the taller ones and have began to pull them in they're prospective directions and have approximately 15% of the screen full. Currently I plan to flower @65-70% due to the growth rate of the Jilly's.
Day three:
Accident!!!!!
darn well people I seem to have had my first foley, the plant closest to the front (and the box fan I have going on low) one of the branches I had tied [loosely] it seems to have dried out too much. I can tell already that the humidity levels are going to be an issue here in SoCal. I have been spraying the plants down (esp leaves) morning and night to keep them plyable and healthy. I will purchase a humidity gauge in a few days to better keep track.
Also, about twice a week I add 1 tsp of superthrive to the mister. Roughly every 3 days I water my plants(not including spraying), one of those days I add 1 tsp superthrive per gallon and in 2 weeks I will add fish emulsion and organic bloodmeal to the mix as I did during the initial blending of my soil.
I am interested in using Sweet and heavy Nutes in the future. Has anyone used them before?

as of right now I only have have of the complete setup going I will explain below:

I have designed a sort of pull out cart to accomodate the small amount of space
the cart will be made of culls I got from home depot for under $5.00 total
and be comprised of wood and two dolly wheels from Harbour Frieght @ $4.99 a piecex2.
the screen will be build atop the cart giving me the ability to slide it out without disturbing the plants.
by pulling the cart from the tent I will have the space to sit and work on the stationary crop and vice versa.
the only issue I have found with this plan is that it will be a few inches higher than than it's counterpart.
the cart will measure:
2'x4' and have a similar screen
I will add a 3" lip o the plants will not slip in transit.
One end of the cart will have to be lifted about 3" over the pvc frame of the tent.
The only other thing I'm uncertain about with this design is attaching the wheels. I think I'll use a piece of all- thread and two nuts.
Pics will be added of my cart build if anyone is interested.

S

saner1r

Hey bud sounds like a sweet DIY room. Its all about how cheap you can put it together!

Post some pics!

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

Do you know what pheno of Jillybean you have? I have been running two different phenos for a while. One is a very dank orange with close internodes and the other is a bit stretchier with a creamy pineapple/mango thing going on.

If I might make a suggestion, when you free up some more cash you should consider getting better relfectors for your T8's. When using flourescent bulbs having an efficient reflector is more important because the percent of bulb area being covered by the reflector is larger than an HID bulb. Ideally the most efficient use of flourescents would come with using T5 bulbs in a hood with parabolic reflectors for each individual bulb in the unit. Good luck on this grow, it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Top Bottom