1000W setup in the UK

• Thread starter mellofello
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mellofello

I've started LSTing my plants more into bushes than I used to and from reading around it sounds like upgrading from a 600 to a 1000 would be better for this type of growing. I'm in a 1.2x1.2m secret jardin.

However it seems 1000W lights arn't so popular over here in the UK, is there are reason for this? Something I don't know?

secondly most of the discussion on hoods for a 1kw on here seem to end up with someone recomending the sun system range. Problem is I'm yet to find anyone that sells them in the UK and the shiping from the US is about 3x the cost of the item.

I'm thinking either I would get a full size grostar as I have a mini one and like the spread of light they give. They also seem good at not pushing the heat directly downwards. I have a 5 inch exractor right now but I could always upgrade to a 6 to keep things cool. Or do you think I will need to go air cooled (summer is coming) in which case something like the coolstar looks like it might be a good choice. I have a cool tube but they are crap.

So which way do you guys think I should go? Any other hoods I should be considering? Really thats a question for UK peeps as I need to be able to actually buy the thing!

peace

mello

U

ukcheesehead

im running a 400w atm with a rvk 125mm (out) and a rvk 100mm (in) and having problems with heat allready . hate to know what it would be like running a 1000w or even a 600w.
im thinking of getting a air cooled hood asap

M

mellofello

Hey cheesehead, I'm just finished a crop with the 600, temps did get high once or twice. Had no major problems though. What sort of space are you running that in? Don't know if it makes a difference but I'm pulling in from the open window and blowing out into the loft at the mo which maybe helps keep temps down.

Still deciding if I'm gonna keep my 600 as my new place has enough room for another tent. Could always go for one big tent them each over a tray each side by side. Think I'd be needing all new much bigger fans for that especially if this weather keeps up!

peace

mello

U

ukcheesehead

1m sq budbox

blowing in to loft sucking 2ft from open window atm its 24c in the tent light off. last night it peaked to 30c light on

F

frankie-smiles

Yeah, cooltubes or some other air cooled hood is the only way to go with them tents. I've got a cooltube and it keeps temps down but as an actual reflector it sucks. Shit light spread and I've heard bad things about the coolstars. The other option in the UK seems to be the Air cooled super nova or the Powerplant Areowing pro. I've got a 400 and a 600 in a 1.2x1.2 tent and temps are fine with the cooltubes, a 150 extraction fan and 125 intake. Still thinking of ditching the cooltubes for a super nova and a 1000 watt balast though.

U

ukcheesehead

yer im going to realy think about a cool shade

found this 1 not bad price 2bh..... ÂŁ44

his self assembly air cooled reflector offers great value for money. It has a glass screen to enclose the reflector although it is not totally sealed. It is possible to fully seal the reflector with heat resistant silicon but in our opinion the performance of this reflector does not warrant the extra effort! Although not the best air cooled reflector on the market the CoolStar serves its purpose!

• Low cost materials and self assembly design means excellent value for money
• Makes environmental control easy as heat is removed from lamps
• Ideal for use with Co2 enrichment systems as the main extractors can be switched off for longer whilst dosing Co2.
• Provides higher light levels by getting lamps closer to plants.
•Reflector comes supplied with a 4 meter lead with an IEC connector (kettle plug type) for use with all ballasts with the corresponding IEC connection.
• 125mm in/out
L=400mm W= 450mm D=170mm
• E40 Fitting

4084 large
U

ukcheesehead

or this 1 for ÂŁ65

For the true professional, air cooled lighting offers a range of benefits that can seriously improve the performance of your grow room. The problem is that these systems have traditionally been prohibitively expensive - until now! We've scoured the globe looking for the best possible air cooled reflector, combining efficient cooling without compromising on reflectivity or light spread - and here it is! The Sputnik has landed! And it's amazingly good value! Comprising a classic inverted V reflector shape with a second super reflective internal parabolic reflector, the Sputnik gives an awesome wide spread of light with very even light distribution. Once you have fitted your special heat safe glass and extraction system (separate 125mm RVK Fan and ducting required), the Sputnik really comes into its own as it can be mounted at extremely low heights to maximise the light levels to your plants.

Spud
M

mellofello

man I guess these sunny days have been getting to you! Looks like I'll be needing atleast a 6inch if I'm gonna run a 1kw over the summer

peace

mello

P

pure arghan

having to much heat??

1m sq budbox

blowing in to loft sucking 2ft from open window atm its 24c in the tent light off. last night it peaked to 30c light on

:confused0054: nice pic is that you??

i have a 600 light in one of my grow rooms, the grow room is about 1 metter squier and about 5 feet tail, i done the inside of it with foil back, have one 8inch extractor and one 4inch extractor, and 2x 2inch fans taking air in, my temp is 25c when the light is off and is about 30 to 35c with the light on, do you know any way of getting the temp down more?? would they be ok at this temp?? :help:

F

frankie-smiles

Yeah i saw that one, only the guy on the actual site didn't seem to rate it that highly. No idea why. Looks like it would be miles better than a cooltube to me. Also i don't think it will take a 1000 watt bulb so is not what i'm after. I'm sure ripz has used a coolstar before and said it was ok, I'm gonna go for the super nova one i think, gotta buy the glass and frame seperate and its alot more expensive than either the cooltubes or coolstars, but if i had followed my head when i bought the cooltubes and just stumped up the extra for the super nova then, I wouldn't be here now debating buying another reflector. Doh!

U

ukcheesehead

Yeah i saw that one, only the guy on the actual site didn't seem to rate it that highly. No idea why. Looks like it would be miles better than a cooltube to me. Also i don't think it will take a 1000 watt bulb so is not what i'm after. I'm sure ripz has used a coolstar before and said it was ok, I'm gonna go for the super nova one i think, gotta buy the glass and frame seperate and its alot more expensive than either the cooltubes or coolstars, but if i had followed my head when i bought the cooltubes and just stumped up the extra for the super nova then, I wouldn't be here now debating buying another reflector. Doh!

yer i just spoke to the hydro shop i use , they said for ÂŁ44
the CoolStar is worth the money the light spead isnt the best but loads better than a basic cool tube . think i will order 1 tomorrow

M

mellofello

The sputnik looks good but on the site I looked at said they arn't that air tight. Maybe the gaps could get sealed up with tape or something?

Frankie, I thought the super nova looked like a good design too with the seperate glass etc. Like you said I don't want to skimp and end up buying it later anyway. Still open to other suggestions though

peace

mello

U

ukcheesehead

The sputnik looks good but on the site I looked at said they arn't that air tight. Maybe the gaps could get sealed up with tape or something?

Frankie, I thought the super nova looked like a good design too with the seperate glass etc. Like you said I don't want to skimp and end up buying it later anyway. Still open to other suggestions though

peace

mello

yer u need to silicon the glass to make them air tight ..

M

mellofello

can you still change the bulb ok with after using the silicon? Through the vent hole?

mello

N

Nuglover

can you still change the bulb ok with after using the silicon? Through the vent hole?

mello

Yeah, but you'll have to remove any duct that's attached. Just use some weather stripping. It will seal it without sealing it forever.

N

northern monsta

i think the cooltubes work great if you have a couple attached to each other then going to a 6nch fan i run 3000w and i dont have heat problems temps never went above 26.1 todate and weve had some hot weather over the past week i think there will be better reflectors out there but im REALLY happy at the way the cooltubes work and they are cheap i paid 42 quid each for mine from a hydro shop to get a grip on heat problems they really do help! im sure u will find ones that reflect better but for 42 quid they are worth every last penny

N

northern monsta

shit forgot i baught a sputnik and took it back to hydro shop as they arent airtight and i found that the quality was poor atleast with cooltubes they are airtight and do a good job i can put my hand on the cooltube glass and its only a little warm never hot ive buds that are 3-4 inches from it and are fine no heat probs and its down to the cooltubes 110%

F

frankie-smiles

peace

mello

As far as i can see the super nova and the 6 inch cooltube are the only ones big enough to take a 1000 watt bulb. I have seen a normal super nova set-up and the footprint is good and also quite concentrated compared to the cooltubes which seem to just spit light all around the center in a sorta thin strip. Cooltubes are good at what they do and are cheap and all, its just i think the super nova would suit me much better. Just to muddy the waters a little more, the girl at the local hydro shop has another "brand" of cooltube in stock with a much improved and longer all in one reflector. IKON she said the make was but i can't find any info on the net about it.

D

darookie2000

As far as i can see the super nova and the 6 inch cooltube are the only ones big enough to take a 1000 watt bulb. I have seen a normal super nova set-up and the footprint is good and also quite concentrated compared to the cooltubes which seem to just spit light all around the center in a sorta thin strip. Cooltubes are good at what they do and are cheap and all, its just i think the super nova would suit me much better. Just to muddy the waters a little more, the girl at the local hydro shop has another "brand" of cooltube in stock with a much improved and longer all in one reflector. IKON she said the make was but i can't find any info on the net about it.

I'm running a 600W in a cooltube in a DR150W (the rectangular one) and you're right about the light dispersion being a little iffy. I'm still messing around with it, first timer, so my setup's not completely dialed, but I'm just running a computer fan across the tube with a duct to carry out the warm air. It seems to be doing pretty well, I have a blower pushing a ton of air in that I might try to modify for the tube.

D

darookie2000

I had an Xtrasun air cooled hood for one night. Way too big for my initial space. It might work in the tent; I'm going to re-evaluate my reflector choices after my first grow is done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom