100w LED Floor Lights Worth it or not ?

• Thread starter thegrower12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thegrower12

Is it worth putting 100w led floor lights under my canopy or is 100w just pointless ?
Was thinking of doing 4 but not sure if there is any point if they are 100w each ?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Light is plant food. Plants collect light on the tops of the leaf not the bottom. You would be better off setting up a nice scrog and using 4 light spread put over the top.

T

thegrower12

Already have that setup up top
Disagree with you there i had 4 x 400w hps shades turned upside down underneath and they netted me between 2-3p

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Already have that setup up top
Disagree with you there i had 4 x 400w hps shades turned upside down underneath and they netted me between 2-3p
I wonder how much gain in yield would have been netted without the lights underneath. Maybe some photosynthesis could result from upward facing lights, but I'd wonder if the gain would justify the cost. There would be some light reflected upward in a natural environment. However, there isn't much chlorophyl on the underside of leaves in comparison to the top side of leaves. As a guess, perhaps some gain could be due to heat, not light, as heat might affect the stomata on the underside of the leaves.

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Is it worth putting 100w led floor lights under my canopy or is 100w just pointless ?
Was thinking of doing 4 but not sure if there is any point if they are 100w each ?
lets say you do yield a bit extra. why not just add an extra square foot or 2 to the grow area and not have to wear a welding mask when you wanna look at your plants ?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
of course light under the canopy would only have a positive effect..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
depending on your set up, side/underneath lighting can greatly improve yield.. growing in a tent makes that set up kinda hard and in the way..

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

depending on your set up, side/underneath lighting can greatly improve yield.. growing in a tent makes that set up kinda hard and in the way..
yeah maybe if someone made some good led rods that you could make a scrog screen out of sort of like optic fibres that were woven through your canopy and just brought that extra layer of lighting
fuxk i might patent that idea. illuminated trellis 🥰

T

thegrower12

Yeah growing in tent so can only do unders, up top is covered
Going to put some led floor lights around outsides of tent try get a big yield

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Not to mention the risk of electrocution from water getting into the lights.

So, you're saying this is a thing? I've never heard of it, which means nothing. I could only try to reason my way through it.

bullfrog13

bullfrog13

Not to mention the risk of electrocution from water getting into the lights.

So, you're saying this is a thing? I've never heard of it, which means nothing. I could only try to reason my way through it.
electrocution can be fun too 🤪

C

Cannacollector

For undercanopy lighting try to get as much red in your spectrum as you can , some of the best ones I've seen have been around 80% red.

The red helps the buds fill out/finish and brings on the color , the more blue makes them more larfy and stay green...

I use it for the more taller cultivars ( the ones that stretch 3x at flip), where the leds from up top doesn't fully reach the bottom of the canopy

Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

There's a study that showed tomatoes benefitted from placing supplemental lights vertically. Can look it up now since my brains a bit foggy from my sleeping pill.

Top Bottom