• Thread starter N1ghtL1ght
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Hello fellow farmers,

perhaps a good idea to open a thread here to outline/depict some of the shady experiments I currently do. And have a place for people contacting me, I hail from Central Europe and am big into science with a preference for photobiology, plant physiology and nutrition. Though I'm not a scientist and what I do isn't up to that level but still science is IMO the best adress to get ideas from...

So, have a 3x3 & 4x4 tent with 4 genetics, all clones plus the motherplants as well.

Strains:
ANESIA - Future#1, CherryKiss, "Mix"
KFCseeds - Night, Night [Kali Mist x Green Poison]
(F1, CK, M, NN at labels)

Set to flower 3 days ago. Just made the decision to run the 3x3 with 14/14 just for jolly and see how they fare.

Actually it's no real side-by-side as there are some differences I lack a climate control, the lighting is a bit different in spectrum and angle-of-incident, plus the big tent the plants are way bigger and more adapted to the hot soil (I been overmixing a bit but hope later with more powerfull lamps they use it up).

Setup is 1200m^3 RVK-sileo fan manually regulated, 1080 ccm Carboconne activecoalfilter and mostly HID lamps:

3x3 currently 150w MH + 150w HPS in a reflector
4x4 250w MH + 250w HPS vertical open lamps + some 70w in topdown DIY monochromatic diodes 445 660 730nm

The future plan is to wait until full transition into flower is over, then shwazz/heavy defol, and ramp up wattage to, at least 600w HPS & 250w HPS. Could also do similar with the MH but will have to monitor how they respond to HPS first, as it's summer here.

Some DIY monos for the 3x3 if I got time to fashion it.

As for the plants - why they look so strange you may ask? Well, these were subjected to a heavy farred enriched spectrum (in another tent) and that caused a shade-avoidance syndrome which has several physiological consequences, ie. stretching and big fanleaves, no sideshoots.
Then these were treated with UV-C 254nm radiation in 2 consecutive side-by-side experiments. One plant died, others had almost all their foliage removed.

There were some other experiments which then I had to terminate due to a hardware malfunction. Thus, I put the plants in another tent to recover and now are left with too many but I don't wanna throw them away so will just do that 14/14 even if their shape blows.

I did a full defol on the first day of switch and the little ones in the 3x3 showed apical calyxes after 2 days, the big plants in the 4x4 lack behind by min. a day (or more - some still not show).
1212 vs 1414 lighting regiment comparison grow

The MH starts a bit sooner to wake the plant as studies show that the bluelight-induced stomata opening impulse has a 15min delay:
1212 vs 1414 lighting regiment comparison grow 2

Plus the sole HPS ending gives of a long farred/IR enriched glow

Somewhat older pic from a week ago
1212 vs 1414 lighting regiment comparison grow 3

in the meanwhile the whole tent was heavily defoled 2 times, the middle plants supercropped. After the shade-avoid, which I used to gain swiftly height to fill the side walls of the tent quickly in a matter of weeks, the plants now still had to concentrate on developing sideshoots for budsites. I'll cover that and the UV-C results in another post.

Here's the current 3*3
1212 vs 1414 lighting regiment comparison grow 4

I had these freshly transplanted and basically just hit flower to see how quickly they reacted to get a bit of an idea of what to expect in the big tent. The thought occured to use monster cropping to fill in the canopy swifter and give more veg time for proper root adaptation, but then remembered the 14/14 and quickly programmed a digital timer.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Caught Fungus Gnats few weeks ago and now use these insect nets in combination with sand/various expanded pebbles to shun them pot access. Hope this works I hate using chemicals esp. since here out in the land they just seem to fly right into the growroom

The sand covers the sides and keeps the net down
60485 1

then fill with pebbles.
When I irrigate using a big pump sprayer the water disperses evenly and sinks in slowly, as the net is slightly hydrophobic. That prevents drypockets as the water can't just flush through which can happen when peat gets too dry. Also it won't run down at the sides.

The medium is largely black & white peat (40%) further amended with EWC (15%) for bacterial life, some cocos (5-10% - I use that to stretch down if medium tests too sharp in a slurry before transplant), perlite & clay pebbles for aeration (25% roundabout) and a number of weighted fertilizer amendments like hornmeal/scraps, calcitic & dolomite. It's mostly recycled and a soil lab analysis showed already ok in most macro- & micronutes, thus I just put some more B, Ma & P & N into it. Lime only if a probe tested too sour, I do 1.5:1-method as adviced in a horticultural textbook.
Things is I'd like to have an "somewhat" even base to be able to just irrigate with the same water/nutes.

When mixing soil I intentionally shoot for better aeration because blackpeat can get extremely wet and I dislike it to suffocate roots or have these droopiness after watering. More oxygen = better soillife, can water more early so if in hurry could just do sub-irrigation by filling the bottom tub without much danger of prolonged anaerob rootzones.

Water is currently tap low/medium hardness EC 0,38mS that I just stretch down 50% with RO and pH adjust with P-acid to 6.5 (currently).
Currently just giving that water. Since organic soil has a tendency to acidify progressively I'll orientate myself to more EC and alkalinity esp. if also adding organic ferts & stimulants.
I don't drain which is kinda a weakness in this setup. Though I can control it using a big 100ml syringe.

My plan is to stay on the lower side of feeds to recycle a soil almost depleted in nutrition then fiddle around with a few select amendment recipes in the future to see what works best. I'm highly interested in organic 'super soil' recipes that grow vigorously healthy plants without the typically signs of overfertilization early on but chlorotics and whatnotelse in midflower so always searching for suitable slow-release ingredients.
My soil analysis has shown me Cannabis leeches heavily Bor up to the point of total depletion, so this is the first blooming run with an organic dry amend containing large amounts of Colemanite.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
GL man keep us updated.
Nice and detailed… paying attention
Thank you very much, I hope I can present first flower shots in 2-3 weeks.

As for now the Future#1 stands out with another leaf-type plus she is already sticky at the stem

I hope the leaves just stay like this.

In early veg the Night Night threw the broadest fans and took the highest EC so these two I'm mostly interested, maybe one a day the other a night weed?

Due to the vertical setup the light doesn't well mix so no good CRI, when MH + HPS mixed gives perfectly white. That combination I really like due to its very broad spectrum (UVA-FR/IR) and flexibility, I can combine any 150-250-400-600w together plus MH I have in several colours. The current 250w one seems to have a high UVA output as some of the nearby leaves get burned on the younger filler plants. But I need to keep everything now short and all leaves will be shwazzed away, anyway.

Once budding sets in a double netting will further retract them and fix to the walls.
60494 1

The DIY diodes:

Now considering the SPD's of these lamps:
DualArc LU1000MHhtlEN noheader nf

it's different from modern LED due to:
- way broader blue & cyan region
- less red around 660nm where actually chlorophyll highly absorbs
this is why I further amend with LED, plus the 660nm chips have a high quantum output.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Very interesting grow
Thank you! I hope I can pull this through without greater faults, esp. botrytis is a known problem here. This is why I tested UV-C recently, I'm working on a both an air-intake & manual desinfection setup.

The preliminairy tests were to identify the working ranges with my 25 watts mercury-low-pressure lamps, the ones without ozone-generation. 30 seconds daily direct exposure from close is tolerable. At some point I gotta redo the ditched second experiment which was designed to further refine the early UV-C leaf damage signs and establish if adaptation/acclimation to 254nm rays exists in Cannabis.

Result:
60495 4

60495 5

60495 6

The last survivor 2min explant:
60496 1

The 8min plant died

Further info about the 14/14:
- equal number of weekly lighthours as with 12/12

- longer nights equate higher phytochrome levels, these intermingle into flowering behaviour with photoperiodic plants

- a 7-day week rendered to 6-days. My schoolbooks on plant physiology tell me that the plants can adapt to that (scientists did similar experiments involving much cruder changes and studied responses by e.g. hyponastic leaf movement/ petiole angles).
However, plants do also possess the 'circadian rhythm' that has an own internal oscillator roughly giving out 23-25h and that may intermingle negatively with a 28h day.

- Day & night temps + their ratio to one another will juggle through and cycle from an extreme to an average, maybe from positive to negative values. The 12/12 tent does lights-on from evening to mourning.

>> Will the plants speed of outbudding under 14/14 be delayed because they get a day-less per week?
>> Or will it even be sooner due to a varying hormone level?

Can the greater scope of stimuli be strengthening (like a training) and maybe bring out different colours ("cold nights - hot days") or other manifestations or will it be a stiffle?

All the clones were actually derived from motherplants subjected to an awful lot of planned stresses, in a 3rd chamber designed for some of these tests:
- Full nutrition depletion
- Salt stress EC>10
- Drought
- Heat ambient temps +37°C
- High humidity rH 95% + lots of "rain"
- Night lights & interruption
- Damaging plant training, esp. supercropping/ topping
- Sugar stem injection
- Shade avoid syndrom
- High irradiance incl. harsh UV rays that burned leaves to crisp
- Obnoxious light recipes, sometimes changing with each hour, up to full monochromatic illumination
- Some hormones used to test reactions (auxin, brass, chitosan)
- Substrate pH swings (this was actually accidentally)

Aberrations or individual weaknesses to behold were:
- Topping in shade-avoid causes fancy non-serrated leaf-growth and stunts said plant for +1 week.
- CherryKiss has weak nutrition translocation genes (NN best)
- F1 strongest apical dominance, "sativa appearance" and oftentimes still displays opposite-decussate growth (top-clone gave that up after about 9 weeks firstly)

Observationist

Observationist

Thank you! I hope I can pull this through without greater faults, esp. botrytis is a known problem here. This is why I tested UV-C recently, I'm working on a both an air-intake & manual desinfection setup.

The preliminairy tests were to identify the working ranges with my 25 watts mercury-low-pressure lamps, the ones without ozone-generation. 30 seconds daily direct exposure from close is tolerable. At some point I gotta redo the ditched second experiment which was designed to further refine the early UV-C leaf damage signs and establish if adaptation/acclimation to 254nm rays exists in Cannabis.

Result:

The 8min plant died

- longer nights equate higher phytochrome levels, these intermingle into flowering behaviour with photoperiodic plants

- a 7-day week rendered to 6-days. My schoolbooks on plant physiology tell me that the plants can adapt to that (scientists did similar experiments involving much cruder changes and studied responses by e.g. hyponastic leaf movement/ petiole angles).
However, plants do also possess the 'circadian rhythm' that has an own internal oscillator roughly giving out 23-25h and that may intermingle negatively with a 28h day.

- Day & night temps + their ratio to one another will juggle through and cycle from an extreme to an average, maybe from positive to negative values. The 12/12 tent does lights-on from evening to mourning.

>> Will the plants speed of outbudding under 14/14 be delayed because they get a day-less per week?

Can the greater scope of stimuli be strengthening (like a training) and maybe bring out different colours ("cold nights - hot days") or other manifestations or will it be a stiffle?

All the clones were actually derived from motherplants subjected to an awful lot of planned stresses, in a 3rd chamber designed for some of these tests:
- Salt stress EC>10
- Drought
- Sugar stem injection
- Shade avoid syndrom
- Obnoxious light recipes, sometimes changing with each hour, up to full monochromatic illumination

- Topping in shade-avoid causes fancy non-serrated leaf-growth and stunts said plant for +1 week.
- F1 strongest apical dominance, "sativa appearance" and oftentimes still displays opposite-decussate growth (top-clone gave that up after about 9 weeks firstly)
nice read.

Observationist

Observationist

Result:
View attachment 1255553
View attachment 1255557
View attachment 1255554
View attachment 1255555

View attachment 1255556

The 8min plant died

- Salt stress EC>10
- Drought
- Sugar stem injection
- Shade avoid syndrom

254 Nanometer wl, sick.

would like to know if the plant can build a tolerance to that strong of UV

any thoughts on running these test on flowers?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You had me wondering before now even more so lol. But i wont ask out if respect.

Ny guess is that no amount of UVC could be beneficial. I dont believe over the evolution of these plants there would have been any significant expose to develop an adaptation but thats purely speculative. Damage may be systemic and possibly passed on genetically i would also half hazard to guess.

UVA/UVB most definitely and has been shown.

The phytochrome that’s interesting i kinda hypothesize that a 10/14 day/night with higher intensity unless reaching photosaturation or atleast decline in photosynthesis rates as you get close…. Pure speculation… thoughts?

Temp diffs… definitely bring forth genetic expression. From my understanding anthocyanins do much better below 70f and it will also affect internode spacing once you hit negative.

You are so much beyond my understanding and im looking forward to some good learning in here.

Times like these i wish i stayed in school…. Absolutely fascinating

SSgrower

SSgrower

This schedule and lighting is interesting, I have barely experimented but do continue trying different schedules like 11 off 13 on with my lights, thanks fora refreshing thread we may learn from. Cheers SS

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Heyho welcome all, please don't hesitate to ask questions I'll try to answer to answer to the best of my knowledge

can we get some more pics of this cage
Ok so let's cover the mid veg phase when I put them there in first that was about 3 weeks ago

this is the 3x3 that is 1.80m tall where I vegged them in a shade-avoidance using MH HPS + lots of 730nm + some 660 450 added

as you can see they displayed typical symptoms
- no sideshoots
- long internodes
- big leaf surfaces
- "praying" petiole angle

4 motherplants + 10 other equally developed line up at the 4 sides

60426 1

then translocated them into the 4x4, as you can see the leaves still pray.

Now the lighting power got increased but without 730nm darkred, and both MH or HPS have a really high Red:Darkred ratio (much more PAR than FR) so then some major internal hormone overhaul was set in motion.
It's the auxin hormone etc that regulates usually from the top down and suppresses other shoots IF said shoots doesn't get to see much light. But under that setup now the lower sites actually reached equally high.

I deliberately put the MH on top as it's colour should further suppress apical growth as I now wanted sideshoots.

4 days later the fanleaves hang already down and I bend some of the few stretchy lanky sideshoots around the mainstem:

these are all still in 3.5l fabrics, the middle ones 0.7-1l for recovery.

The incentive was to generate rather short-internoded sideshoots so I selectively pruned all fanleaves away that blocked light, without reflector/spreader there is kinda less ambient light just the direct from 2 bulbs

and the walls ofc, that white is Orca-foil which is actually for cinema, it's highly reflective 98% colourtrue within the visible PAR range, but not so good for UV or IR

About these nets, they are not really able to carry much but since I got much mainstems the expectatancy is that the plants carry most of their later weight by themself.
When the nets span actually over 1.2 x 2.2 metres they are somewhat tighter and just there to keep the plants a bit distant from the HIDs. I can adjust them seamlessly and will later push the plants way more to the wall, after the last shwazzing. I need a hell of good air movement as it will later be very hard to reach all places.

End of Part 1 of Veg (to be continued)

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Ny guess is that no amount of UVC could be beneficial. I dont believe over the evolution of these plants there would have been any significant expose to develop an adaptation but thats purely speculative. Damage may be systemic and possibly passed on genetically i would also half hazard to guess.

UVA/UVB most definitely and has been shown.
Hehe, yeah well it's very dangerous as UVC even damages DNA so if that happens a cell may loose its ability to repair itself and then it's "game over".
Plus, the photoinhibition, even UVA has that, or very strong blue irradiance - it damages a central protein of the photosystem, then hundreds of chlorophylls can't deliver the energy of the captured photons until the trap p680 is repaired.

Still, plants in the early history of the earth encountered far more harsh irradiant situations as there were times when the ozone layer was severely diminished:
UVC pre historic

^^ from a study, IIRC that was in Carbon, that had higher atmospheric CO2, hotter climate but lots of megafauna & flora, too. Dinosaurs carried shield plates to neutralize the mutagenic scorching sunrays.

But Cannabis is not that old (~30 million years ago) but the experts say it evolved at high altitude, and perhaps some of the primal defense mechanism genes are still there?

The UVB receptor - the UVR8 monomer - has its absorbance max at 285nm which is also the region where the DNA damage starts getting tough. So maybe that receptor has developed to warn for very dangerous radiation? And yes, it seems that some of the plant physiological responses to UVB are equal also for UVC. There's a few studies confirming that BUT one cannot have UVC without damage. So what scientists do is to deliver it in rather short bursts, pulses, giving the plant plenty of opportunity to repair back while single-cellers, potential pathogens are destroyed.
Once UVC is sensed, plants enrich their leaves with very specific "sunscreen" pigments designed to effectively filter out these wavelengths. One such substance is called "rutin" - actually a healthy antioxidant for human food.

Studies:

The Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation on the Contents of Chlorophyll, Flavonoid, Anthocyanin and Proline in Capsicum annuum L.

Accumulation of Flavonoids in an ntra ntrb Mutant Leads to Tolerance to UV-C

Other UVC-tolerance pigments are not yet identified so scientists label them with their spectral absorption max.

I kind of doubt UVC is much of professional use for Cannabis but still would like to find out if UVC can also have that UVB-effect of increasing resin (in genotypes that respond positively, that is Chemotype I "narrow leaf sativa" - high/pure THC (almost no CBD).

Esp. because it has such a sterilizing power. If used for, say just a few minutes thus minimizing foliage damage, maybe some effect can still be gained? Maybe just a matter of finetuning?

Been searching for studies with UVC + Cannabis but there are none...

Observationist

Observationist

Heyho welcome all, please don't hesitate to ask questions I'll try to answer to answer to the best of my knowledge

Ok so let's cover the mid veg phase when I put them there in first that was about 3 weeks ago

View attachment 1255907
this is the 3x3 that is 1.80m tall where I vegged them in a shade-avoidance using MH HPS + lots of 730nm + some 660 450 added

as you can see they displayed typical symptoms
- no sideshoots
- long internodes
- big leaf surfaces
- "praying" petiole angle

View attachment 1255908
4 motherplants + 10 other equally developed line up at the 4 sides
View attachment 1255909
View attachment 1255912
then translocated them into the 4x4, as you can see the leaves still pray.

Now the lighting power got increased but without 730nm darkred, and both MH or HPS have a really high Red:Darkred ratio (much more PAR than FR) so then some major internal hormone overhaul was set in motion.
It's the auxin hormone etc that regulates usually from the top down and suppresses other shoots IF said shoots doesn't get to see much light. But under that setup now the lower sites actually reached equally high.

I deliberately put the MH on top as it's colour should further suppress apical growth as I now wanted sideshoots.

4 days later the fanleaves hang already down and I bend some of the few stretchy lanky sideshoots around the mainstem:
View attachment 1255910
these are all still in 3.5l fabrics, the middle ones 0.7-1l for recovery.

The incentive was to generate rather short-internoded sideshoots so I selectively pruned all fanleaves away that blocked light, without reflector/spreader there is kinda less ambient light just the direct from 2 bulbs

View attachment 1255913
and the walls ofc, that white is Orca-foil which is actually for cinema, it's highly reflective 98% colourtrue within the visible PAR range, but not so good for UV or IR

About these nets, they are not really able to carry much but since I got much mainstems the expectatancy is that the plants carry most of their later weight by themself.
When the nets span actually over 1.2 x 2.2 metres they are somewhat tighter and just there to keep the plants a bit distant from the HIDs. I can adjust them seamlessly and will later push the plants way more to the wall, after the last shwazzing. I need a hell of good air movement as it will later be very hard to reach all places.

End of Part 1 of Veg (to be continued)
I love it

Observationist

Observationist

I like the spectral manipulation, I like using higher blue ratio for keeping plants shorter and more compact, tighter node spacing, red will stretch em out more.

Eitherway I like how it is growing there, reminded me of an image on google years ago of a plant growing around a sphere like cage of chicken wire with a hps in the center of it.

Observationist

Observationist

Hehe, yeah well it's very dangerous as UVC even damages DNA so if that happens a cell may loose its ability to repair itself and then it's "game over".
Plus, the photoinhibition, even UVA has that, or very strong blue irradiance - it damages a central protein of the photosystem, then hundreds of chlorophylls can't deliver the energy of the captured photons until the trap p680 is repaired.

Still, plants in the early history of the earth encountered far more harsh irradiant situations as there were times when the ozone layer was severely diminished:
View attachment 1255916
^^ from a study, IIRC that was in Carbon, that had higher atmospheric CO2, hotter climate but lots of megafauna & flora, too. Dinosaurs carried shield plates to neutralize the mutagenic scorching sunrays.

But Cannabis is not that old (~30 million years ago) but the experts say it evolved at high altitude, and perhaps some of the primal defense mechanism genes are still there?

The UVB receptor - the UVR8 monomer - has its absorbance max at 285nm which is also the region where the DNA damage starts getting tough. So maybe that receptor has developed to warn for very dangerous radiation? And yes, it seems that some of the plant physiological responses to UVB are equal also for UVC. There's a few studies confirming that BUT one cannot have UVC without damage. So what scientists do is to deliver it in rather short bursts, pulses, giving the plant plenty of opportunity to repair back while single-cellers, potential pathogens are destroyed.
Once UVC is sensed, plants enrich their leaves with very specific "sunscreen" pigments designed to effectively filter out these wavelengths. One such substance is called "rutin" - actually a healthy antioxidant for human food.

Studies:

The Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation on the Contents of Chlorophyll, Flavonoid, Anthocyanin and Proline in Capsicum annuum L.

Accumulation of Flavonoids in an ntra ntrb Mutant Leads to Tolerance to UV-C

Other UVC-tolerance pigments are not yet identified so scientists label them with their spectral absorption max.

I kind of doubt UVC is much of professional use for Cannabis but still would like to find out if UVC can also have that UVB-effect of increasing resin (in genotypes that respond positively, that is Chemotype I "narrow leaf sativa" - high/pure THC (almost no CBD).

Esp. because it has such a sterilizing power. If used for, say just a few minutes thus minimizing foliage damage, maybe some effect can still be gained? Maybe just a matter of finetuning?

Been searching for studies with UVC + Cannabis but there are none...
I believe bugbee is playing around with hitting some plants with UVC, wouldn’t be surprised if they release a paper in the coming years

Alas, he’s doing a lot of cannabis research at USU

Surely the UVC would still be beneficial for sterile systems, with controlled dosing, pulses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom