12/12 vs 14/14 lighting regiment comparison grow

• Thread starter N1ghtL1ght
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Observationist

Observationist

I’d think pulsing it just before too much DNA damage occurs, letting it heal, then hit again.

Need tissue sample analysis perhaps though

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
I like the spectral manipulation, I like using higher blue ratio for keeping plants shorter and more compact, tighter node spacing, red will stretch em out more.

Eitherway I like how it is growing there, reminded me of an image on google years ago of a plant growing around a sphere like cage of chicken wire with a hps in the center of it.
Yeah though it's the darker regions of the red colour (~700-780nm) that will cause this stretching, whereas the brighter or normal red 600-690nm rather supresses it. Though it's also based on the total ratios of the light recipe, I've seen studies with pure blue light that caused extreme stretching, as well as 'the red light syndrome'. So a healthy mixture is always required.
I base alot of what I do also on measurements of light recipes on photosynthesis rates that are taken (mostly) on isolate leaves and these results show more blue added to HPS is very beneficial as would be darkred for the "Emerson effect".

But the colours have most effect in the way they shape the morphology of the plant archtecture

With high PAR low darkred now the sideshoots and stems-width is promoted (as well as better rootgrowth).

tomorrow will be another defoliation, it looks as if I have to interweave the shoots from one plant to the other like a spiderweb

this was an early supercropping on one motherplant, actually it split right open

during the shade-avoid the stems were rather fragile, erratic, so it even happened minor internal fraction just from moving it around:
60532 1

but during the last 3 weeks they all gained considerable sturdiness. Just try to supercropp some of the outer mainplants - gave up. They're like bamboo now, but the sideshoots are the ones where buds will grow.

This is one of my current major concerns, I do not know when these genetics stop stretching and suspect it's even slightly different in a mostly sidelighting grow...

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
I believe bugbee is playing around with hitting some plants with UVC, wouldn’t be surprised if they release a paper in the coming years
Saw two YT interviews with him where he said UVB for +THC doesn't work, refering to Magagnini et al, and that Lydon was in error, but I just can't follow his argument. And wish he would get to the bottom of this, I personally think it's genetic/chemotype based. And that UV needs to be dialed in properly in relation to the other light. As there are many who swear by it, but also say that even UVA already does the job to some extent.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
I’d think pulsing it just before too much DNA damage occurs, letting it heal, then hit again.

Need tissue sample analysis perhaps though
I may be able to manually expose a few select branches every day, or every other day, to a short dosage of 254nm, and later observe if trichomes change form/shape/density/color

Theoretically my UVC lamp could be used to sterilize the plants daily, 10s exposure is well within safe range. But still not sure on that... as it would also kill potentially good bacterias. The plants are actually crowded with MOs and these exert a mutual suppression/rivalry on one another.

Observationist

Observationist

Saw two YT interviews with him where he said UVB for +THC doesn't work, refering to Magagnini et al, and that Lydon was in error, but I just can't follow his argument. And wish he would get to the bottom of this, I personally think it's genetic/chemotype based. And that UV needs to be dialed in properly in relation to the other light. As there are many who swear by it, but also say that even UVA already does the job to some extent.
I’d like to agree with you, think I’ve seen the same vids and source you are referring to.

I mean in theory, the plants should produce something, “that natural sunscreen” to protect against the harmful UV rays

I think the genetics that grew more on the mountain ranges, closer to the sun, less atmosphere where more UV Can get through would be good candidates.

I’m sure he’ll get to the bottom of it eventually

Observationist

Observationist

UV Is beneficial regardless lol

I’d like to integrate it for sterile systems, water and air purification.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
I’d like to agree with you, think I’ve seen the same vids and source you are referring to.

I mean in theory, the plants should produce something, “that natural sunscreen” to protect against the harmful UV rays

I think the genetics that grew more on the mountain ranges, closer to the sun, less atmosphere where more UV Can get through would be good candidates.

I’m sure he’ll get to the bottom of it eventually
Yes and these get higher ppfd, too. That's why Lydon used a Colombian sativa, outdoors in a greenhouse, and just supplied higher UVB. Result was linear increase, more on buds than leaves. But no increase/effect on CBD chemotype.

Magagnini on the other hand used hybrid medicinal strains high-CBD moderate-THC indoors with 400ppfd.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
UV Is beneficial regardless lol

I’d like to integrate it for sterile systems, water and air purification.
Yeah and the ones with lower wavelength will also generate ozone, this can reach sites hidden from the radiation, or neutralize odor.
But also damage plants

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Hello Farmers,

this day been working on the big 12/12 tent
60537 4

as it became too crowded
60537 2

60537 3

almost like a jungle XD
60537 1

so some defoliation was in order

and further retracted the nets to the walls, by tomorrow a stronger HPS will burn so I need more distance
60538 1

also removed many little lower branches

the architecture of most these plants now looks like this

big mainstem, some sideshoots left n right
with this defoliation I'm trying to promote new shoots at these shoots

and then hopefully they soon start buding out

Observationist

Observationist

Hello Farmers,

this day been working on the big 12/12 tent
View attachment 1256405
as it became too crowded
View attachment 1256407
View attachment 1256406
almost like a jungle XD
View attachment 1256409
so some defoliation was in order
View attachment 1256400
and further retracted the nets to the walls, by tomorrow a stronger HPS will burn so I need more distanceView attachment 1256402
also removed many little lower branches

the architecture of most these plants now looks like this
View attachment 1256399
big mainstem, some sideshoots left n right
with this defoliation I'm trying to promote new shoots at these shoots

and then hopefully they soon start buding out
I fuckin love this grow

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
=)

keep it goin.
Hehe yeah I'm gonna take some pics later this evening when both tents are at lights again. Because of the 28 hour cycle the times to catch these changes daily.
I'm currently knee-deep reading studies on a number of subjects, that is the genetic background of the auto-gene, tissue sample analytics of ancient MJ, and farred effects as well.
I'm gonna have to reorder the plants from the little tent later as well as the hotspot in the middle deprives the ones at the side with necessary light for growth.

Observationist

Observationist

Awesome how you get so thick stems already in these solocups. Are you preparing for a Sea-of-Green with all these clones?

I try to LST since day 1, probably that and silica, some “super cropping”

These are from seeds (reg) and after I weed out the males, yea.

There was another 3 other totes in here

But those testing out on the balcony as few weeks ago, needed room so I could bend down.

One out there is getting really beefy.

Observationist

Observationist

I will probably go to half gallon or 1gal pots then put them in flower tent in few more weeks

Will need to start another veg batch a little before that comes

Observationist

Observationist

Started indoors but moved balcony few weeks ago

And then my 5gallon that I started indoors and moved out a few months ago

She was a mom, why it’s butchered lol

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Wow nice! So you cut all shoots away for clones? And then she died?

I tried supercropping this time as well as I had about 20 plants too much and these were just sticks.

this one broke and was almost severed, but it recovered though it stalled for a week

60646 2

this one ripped open way afterwards, when the thick knot formed.
it's currently taking a bath in the tub ;) as it seems not to be able to adapt to the sharp soil, the drain EC was over the scale :(
hope it's gonna do better soon

60646 1

that one also ripped open later

60645 1

this one managed to get vertical rather quickly, the SC almost had no effect

gonna flush the other tomorrow or when the pots are lighter, I'm aiming for about EC ~2.5mS.

Gonna have to check the plants in the other tent, too.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Hello farmers,

here's an update of the 14/14 photoperiod experiment. The strains turned out to be a mix between indica-leaning and sativa-leaning, ie. broad-leaf- and narrow-leaf-types.
The broad-leaved showed a tendency to accept the exotic treatment better, transitioned into flower sooner, but still all 16 cultivars show, at least, one of hitherto named aberrations in the form of too many sugar-leaves, some of which are unusually elongated or twisted, accompanied by feeble budgrowth or very slow transitioning.

Yesterday, when the pics were taken, was precisely 5 weeks (35 days) into flower. Since the treatments gives only 6 day & night phases each week, they saw 30 photoperiods, equating approx. 4 weeks.
I cannot answer if the Circadian Rhythmic supercedes the forced unnatural photoperiod, and if the DLI or the general ability to grow factors stronger into the plants' development... but for me one thing is almost certain, that is, that the measurement of the length of the night via the phytochromes, albeit the major deciding mechanism to trigger flowering in short-day plants, must not be the sole mechanism at large to influence the genetic flower expression.

Future #1 (Anesia): (2 plants)
60755 1

60755 2

60755 4

60755 5

60755 7

60757 4

60757 6

The Future#1 seems to be most sativa-leaning of all the genetics. The plants lost the occassional "double sawtooth" leaf-margin that is said may be a sign of Thai-genetic origin.
The plant took a long time to transition into flower (~2.5 weeks) and grows visibly alot of fancy sugarleaves.
Since last week the start of a heatwave with 30-38°C in the tent (leaf surface temps are around 29-31°C) and very low rH (30-50% dependant on measuring point, the former at canopy, the latter at the pots) it visibly buckled its flowermass up, showed "praying" and grew quicker than the other strains.

I been trying to get rH up but it's hopeless. The 250W HPS got exchanged by 2*35W 450, 660 & 730nm sidelights + only a 150W HPS in an attempt to reduce the heat hotspot in the middle of the tent but the plants signaled me (esp. the ones in the corner) to give more light so I put another 3500k 75W Cree Cxb 3590 therein, raising the on-time daily.
Plus 2 e27 low-efficiency LED point lights for the side opposite to the COB.
Calculations on paper this should raise the median PPFD from grossly estimated ~650 to close to 1000.
470W in composite lights in a 3*3 with highly reflective walls. Though it was ~650 for the first weeks into bloom.

Latest posts

Top Bottom