12/6 Lighting Cycle

• Thread starter CaliTruf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CaliTruf

:rasta2: Halo farmer

Have someone ever tried the cycle suggested by J. Cervantes in his book??
Jorges says that some friends of himin Canada has good results using a strange lighting cycle......they give 2 hours of light and 6 of darkness....
The first problem for me is setting the timer properly but i could fix it but the real fact is: DOES IT WORKS OR NOT?:icon_dizzy:

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
what are you trying to accomplish with this light regimen?

T

THC_Farmer

cervantes did not say that he said it was reported that they had about the same yield or a little less but the hit they took in yield was negligable at best. that the plants are best grown using the industry standard 12/12 cycle.

trying to get a shorter flowering period. when cervantes tested it he found it to be academic at best with no reall advantages over the 12/12 cycle

V

Vapefella

I used this method for a while after reading about it in the Marijuana Growers Guide - Ed. Rosenthal. Going back 20 years here so may have got that wrong.

I had to purchase a 7 day timer, 24 hour clock just does not work.

Theory was that plants at flowering time are governed by the 12 hour period. During the day they would be lucky in the wild to get 6 hours direct sun a day.

My grows certainly showed that the method works. I got good buds.

In my small setup I was unable to do comparative tests so do not know yield differences, nor really whether they completed quicker or slower due to having more 'days'. Some of the thoeretical claims if I remember were that

- more virtual days, quicker flowering completion.
- less heat and humidity to remove/deal with.
- if completion is quicker or even matching the 12/12 cycle then less leccy bills.

I will dig around for the book and see what else it says (if it did in the first place!)

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
yeah I don't think it would be worth the effort to try an experiment like that. I mean if JC said that it won't do too much then why even consider it? Nothing against Calitruf
for asking, I just don't think that it would make a big difference either. Eh my 2 cents. stick with the 12/12.

V

Vapefella

I think your 2 cents are well spent crombien211. 12/12 is a tried and tested method.

I have looked at other sites and the thread by CaliTruf is the first in my memory to discuss 12/6. (Corrections welcome.) At least I figured I could confirm that the method works.

My mates always thought it was a waste because 12/12 worked. Why risk it ? Well I liked the possibilites outlined in my previous reply but also the changing around of the time added an element of change at a time when my ballast came on with a thud and a good hum for 15 minutes (still does , same one.) Also at a time of less available readies if I could save on costs it seemed wortha trial, and as I have said I found it works.

Bit different now. Just got myself a Vape (HerbaAire) and after 6 years off the blow due to lung problems (COPD) can now toke, not smoke my fave herb. Just grown some conservatory girlies and now realise I may have to dust off my light to keep up with my sudden major usage !

C

CaliTruf

Hi to all farmers :smiley_joint:for all of you that ask to not consider 12/6 light cycle or other experimentation we are on the way of the future so if someone says me that maybe something could be worty why not try it??

Vapefella thanks for sharing :kiss keep updated on your growing!!
Have you putted from 18/6 vegetative cycle straight to 12/6 or passing by a standard 12/12 cycle for some weeks??
How do you setted the timer for a 12/6 cycle with a 7 days timer?
Have you tried 12/6 with indicas or sativas?

C

CaliTruf

Hi sgt. schultz sorry but i'm not with you.....:mysterymachine: i'm on the way of change and although is several years i'm growing 12/12 i can't see why if 12/6 works i can't use this method.

It's quicker (25% more days created from nothing) and consequently cheaper less heat less noise and a light cycle that changes every day avoiding eventual electricity bill tracking.:afroweed:

Thank to all for contributions but if it's possible share opinions and experiences and not your conservative way of thinking at least not in the "experiment and advanced techniques" forum please

purpleberry

purpleberry

I would only try it with a indica that flowers fast. I bet it works good. You could even go 12/8, if 6 hours isnt enough dark time. Who knows maybe some strains trigger off 12 hours of dark, and others go off 12 hours of light. Im sure someone has played with these light cycles. I wouldnt say it doesnt work just because one strain doesnt like it.
Maybe throw a 250w in the closet for testing so u dont loose a whole crop.

V

Vapefella

I do hope someone is able to do a reasonable comparative test. As I have said Purpleberry, the method does work so no lost crop. Just a question of testing theory against known results with the usual 12/12. There could be great savings - or not ?!

Calitruf. Re. strains. Sorry cannot remember but all seeds were shop bought and I think I was doing skunk or northern lights back then or shiva shanti - not seen that for a while. It was before everything went mad with the seed name mania thing.

Hope that helps.

The 7 day timer gives you 9 days and a couple of hours to add wherever you want.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Purpleberry it is 12 hours of dark and 6 hours light. The dark cycle has to be longer.

Top Bottom