12 South Florida Men Charged With Roc-A-Fella Founder in Massive Pot Probe

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

12 SoFla Men Charged With Roc-A-Fella Founder in Massive Pot Probe
Authorities say the men grew the marijuana in Florida, and then smuggled it to a drug ring that has dominated the New York market for decades
By JANIE CAMPBELL
Updated 1:14 PM EDT, Sat, Oct 16, 2010

So much for the high life in South Florida.

Federal investigators arrested a dozen Miami and Miramar residents Friday as part of a probe into a nation-wide, multi-million-dollar pot ring that also brought charges against an advertising rep for marijuana mag High Times and a man who founded Roc-a-Fella Records along with rapper Jay-Z.

The role of the South Florida smugglers was considerably less glamorous than those of writer Matthew Woodstock Stang and music man Kareem "Biggs" Burke: prosecutors say they grew the marijuana hydroponically in Florida, and then smuggled it to New York stashed amid legitimate goods on flatbed trucks.

Stang was allegedly the supplier to the man who ran the pot ring, identified as New Yorker Geovanny "Manny" Rodriguez Perez. Burke, who is said to have joined the ring in 1991, was caught on wiretaps with Perez referring to the "grow houses" in Florida.

ICE officials say the syndicate has dominated the marijuana market in New York for decades, bringing in an estimated $20 million in profits and several tons of the drug into New York.

10 of the dozen South Florida suspects were arrested in Miami; the other two were apprehended in New York. They are identified as Arturo Mena-Sifonte, Osmel Vazquez-Perez, Javier Falcon, Jose Betancourt, Edwing Alberto Herrera, Idael Mena-Hernandez, Daniel Fernandez, Jesus Sanchez, Adel Santana-Zamora, all of Miami-Dade, and Leticia Raposo of Miramar.

Altogether, 45 people were taken into custody in "Operation Green Venom," a sting that has netted about 225 pounds of marijuana and $1.85 million in pot proceeds since 2008. Federal agents say they seized an additional $2 million and more than 360 pounds of marijuana Friday.

The South Florida smugglers are charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute 1,000 kilograms of marijuana. They face up to life in prison and a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison if convicted.

K

kushpheen

The South Florida smugglers are charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute 1,000 kilograms of marijuana. They face up to life in prison and a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison if convicted.

After reading Holder's position on prop 19, you gotta wonder how many of these mega-gardens are going to risk investing millions in their facilities, infrastructure and permitting only to have the feds step in and take it all away...then lock you up forever...

M

mrdizzle

I love that it takes the feds 19yrs to bust these guys for a couple hundred pounds of pot, while a couple metric tons a day are coming over the reservations from montreal

haha also why does everyone grow in flordia, its fucking hot there

J

jvilla

Super hot babes in florida. thats why! Was wondering how jay-z will catch some heat on this case I guess it dosnt really mater thou hell just have to pay some money and his name cleared?

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

Crazy.. This is the dude who handles advertising at HT... Matt Stang.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

The reason why people grow in FLorida is that there are a ton of immigrants there and, now that they cant smuggle coke they grow dope. I know people will say im sterotyping but i am from kendall (a suburb of miami) and I was once very involved in the grow community there. Believe me most of the growers are old school cubans who always have a story about the "Cocaine Cowboys days" when the streets were paved in gold and it rained yeah yo.

C

coyoteattack

is this the infamous piff or black haze? i hope not and i hope the cuts still exisit if it was.

TortureKill

TortureKill

Damn, Prices gonna skyrocket in NYC. Feel sorry for yall

TortureKill

TortureKill

I love that it takes the feds 19yrs to bust these guys for a couple hundred pounds of pot, while a couple metric tons a day are coming over the reservations from montreal

Not only is it hot there, but its HOT there. The police go hard to bust any and every grower down there. Theres always busts down there. There marijuana Nazis. Theyd have been smart to move out to the country with that shit

S

Spliff-killa

Florida is a FUCKING Police state! Be careful what you do in that state! They don't mess around down there!!!!!:sign0055:

ViVi

ViVi

The reason why people grow in FLorida is that there are a ton of immigrants there and, now that they cant smuggle coke they grow dope. I know people will say im sterotyping but i am from kendall (a suburb of miami) and I was once very involved in the grow community there. Believe me most of the growers are old school cubans who always have a story about the "Cocaine Cowboys days" when the streets were paved in gold and it rained yeah yo.

yea those cocaine cowboys docs. are crazy..(only reason i knew what u were talkin about.) those guys (and woman) were the real deal scarface(s)

jazzfarmer

jazzfarmer

New York is what it is, New York. There will be no problem on the supply side.

S

SRHninja

Cell phone taps fucked them, im guessin the good old patriot act playd a role in this... just goes to show you, meet in person if its business.... its bad enough we use this board. no tellin how much police activity is on here...

C

Comercial

They use florida, because you can actually get property with large square footages. Unlike New York or any where near it, where real estate is a fortune and you dont get mutch for that fortune you spend. So Grow it in FL, and run it up the east coast where you get close to 6,000 a pound.

Makes sense to me....

Comercial

TortureKill

TortureKill

Cell phone taps fucked them, im guessin the good old patriot act playd a role in this... just goes to show you, meet in person if its business.... its bad enough we use this board. no tellin how much police activity is on here...

Stay off them fed lines... there tappin everyones shit. Do ppl realize the patriot act went into effect when bush was in office? Christ sake. If someone even mentions bud, sale, plants, or anything on the phone they wont be getting shit from me ever again.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

They use florida, because you can actually get property with large square footages. Unlike New York or any where near it, where real estate is a fortune and you dont get mutch for that fortune you spend. So Grow it in FL, and run it up the east coast where you get close to 6,000 a pound.

Makes sense to me....

Comercial

Not to poke holes in your theory but what about Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Ohio ect ect ect. All places than cheaper real estate than Florida, let alone south Florida. Not to mention less of a drive on the 95 wich has random police watching for drug trafficking!

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Did you notice all the names were not English they use illegal emigrants to man there houses. They would stick out like a sore thumb in any of the states you mentioned more than south Florida. Plus property is cheap and most of the residents are old as shit. before they had all these special tasks forces and federal agents there it was easy to pull off in Florida. They steal electricity and grow strains that can handle high heat. They have a $200 a month electric bill running 30,000.................. Glad I made it out alive ! Feel bad for the people that have to stay behind........

LBH

LBH

NY IS DRY!! NY IS DRY!!!

Not.

Too close to RI to ever go dry..... :rofl

Top Bottom