13k MPB build coming soon

• Thread starter LeroyBrown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

Me and my friend are going to be delving into the world of Hydroponics. I don't have the hands on experience but i do have a good grasp of the concept. I have grown in soil for a few years and have been reading up on MPBs for a while.

I plan on running a 13k system on 12 plants. Costing me a pretty penny but i am definitely looking forward to the challenge. I planned on asking peoples opinions about MPBs but the readings have lead me to believe everyone loves them. If you have any advice im all ears :) Happy and safe growing fellow Farmers

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

xoxoxoxo
oxoxoxox
xoxoxoxo

Is what i am planning but it really depends on the size of the room i get upon moving.

L

Lost

I would get a DWC plant started in a 5 gallon dwc asap to make sure you know what your geting in to.

If you have poor sterile technique, or do not monitor your system daily (I check mine about 3-5 times a day, lol), you can run into trouble real fast.

What size chiller are you using for that beast? Im guessing a 1 hp but is that big enough?

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

Hi lost thanks for adding to my thread ! Funny you mention i have been looking for a chiller but have found only 1/5 1/3 1 hp chillers. You have any recommendation ?

After moving i will be able to run a test pot or 2 . but i wanna be able to build the big room while i am playing with the small system. Fortunatley i will have ample time to monitor my system. Im sure it won't be a walk in the park but i am confident guys like you will help keep me in line

L

Lost

Check out ebay. I'll give you a tip.. If you ebay search prime chiller, sometimes the MFG puts up Class 2 reconditioned units. I've been looking at picking up another 1/3 hp modular. Your system will be about 350 gallons and remember that there is a good drop in temp from the res to the mini res about 5 degrees..

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

great info Lost ! Gonna keep my eyes on the prime bids..

M

mcattak

I think the size of the chiller depends on where and how hot the room the rez is in...I have about 350 gallons of water running through my system and use a 1/2 hp and a 1/10 hp chiller that cools my rez to 61 with the lights off and 69 lights on....1 hp chiller will work for me even well into the dead of summer...

I don't think all chillers are made the same...You get what you pay for...

L

Lost

Yea, the prime modular chillers I noticed the specs are a bit higher. I would not think a 1/3 hp eco would compare to a Modular Prime 1/3 hp chiller even tho the rating is the same. You do get what you pay for indeed..

M

mcattak

350 gallons---- 1 to 2 ton Chillking..Never can have enough...

L

Lost

Do you think the 1 hp chillking will be nuff for 350 gallons tho?

N

noone88

I've been going with 1HP for every 10k watts. In my first test setup, Prime 1/3 HP chiller 200 gallons 7k watts, it couldn't keep up with the heat being absorbed during the light cycle. I saw a +6 degree temperature drift over 12 hours in the main res. The only thing I could do was dump the temperature sub 63 degrees and let it drift upwards. I did have about 500gph moving through each tub, so my temp delta between main res and mini res was only 2 degrees at most.

Needless to say, the chiller was running the whole time.

I have since moved my pumps outside of the main res which has helped slightly. I probably need to go OCD and use reflective film on all black surfaces like the resses and the black drain pvc pipe.

L

Lost

Were you using a/c. What were room temps. I think im going to need another 3/4 hp chiller for my 8 light setup then. I was doing fine with the 1/3 hp @65 with 4.5k. Ok, shopping time, lol. If I just get a 3/4 or 1 hp one, then I can use the 1/3 to do another 4 planmt setup, lol..

N

noone88

3 ton minisplit for AC. Room is 80-82F. The main res is located in another room. I had about 200 gallons, 7 tubs, 5 krusty-style buckets.

With all the waterflow, the circulating water in the pipe/tubing acts like a radiator and sucks up tons of heat from the light.

Almost all 1HP chillers are $1500+. Find one that's wired for 240v.

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

Talked to my homeboy and he has 1hp chiller for me i think :) not sure what kind but free works eh.

DeRail

DeRail

I just bought this unit. Oceanic Chillers have been around for years $1159 new with a warranty 1HP titanium chiller best price in town on a name brand chiller. I used a 1/4 hp for years on my 200 gal aquarium with 2 250Watt MH over the top never had a glitch and that was when i lived in Arizona.

S

socalsinner

MPB Grow

I just bought this unit. Oceanic Chillers have been around for years $1159 new with a warranty 1HP titanium chiller best price in town on a name brand chiller. I used a 1/4 hp for years on my 200 gal aquarium with 2 250Watt MH over the top never had a glitch and that was when i lived in Arizona.

120-240 gal or more main RES
50,000 BTU min AC
Looks like your in CO so the mild temps and humidity are helpfull to you.
Eco Plus™ Chiller I have 1/4 HP from a previous setup for 110 Gallons and it works great for me

Read as many threads from the guys on here that have had more than one run and also the newer MPB'ers like myself so you can learn from all of our sucesses and mistakes lol .

Top Bottom