14/10 Light Cycle

• Thread starter WestbyGod
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WestbyGod

WestbyGod

I have read that you may be able to produce more females by using a 14 on 10 off light cycle. Has anyone ever tried this? I do not think there is any scientific proof, just individual observations.

Second question: If I start sprouts using 14/10, will I have any negative effects on Mother plants that have been on 18/6, changing the mothers to 14/10?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I don’t think there is any science to back that up. You’re free to give it a try though and report back. But i doubt that affects the gender of the seed passed along from its father at the point of pollination.

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

No science, just a side note in the cannabis guide I use. I think I presented question wrong.

If I have been growing plants under a 18/6 cycle, will there be any adverse affects by changing light cycle to 14/10?

I have limited space, and do all my veg'ing same cabinet. I have sprouts on a 14/10 light cycle and will have to move them to same space to veg as my Mothers. Worried about changing from 18/6 to 14/10.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You can try. Worst thing that will happen is they start flowering. Can always return them to vegging by going back to 18/6. Might cost ya a week or two if things do go awry. But it’s not irreversible.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Sex is determined at the time the flower is pollinated in the mother plant. Period.

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

In the case of cannabis, there are differing points of view. It is thought that the embryo that contains the seed is not a simple diploid cell, but rather a triploid cell (XXX, XXY, XYY or YYY) or even a tetraploid cell (XXXX, XXXY, XXYY, XYYY or YYYY). This theory is plausible. However, if genetic circumstances alone influenced the likelihood of having a pure female plant that only has female flowers, the chances of this happening would be minimal, and since cases of hermaphroditism are at the very least quite rare, it would appear that the genetic make-up of the seed cannot be the sole factor involved in determining the sex of marijuana plants. It is for this reason that some cannabis growers place more importance on growing conditions, since it has been seen that under poor conditions there is a predominance of male plants. This theory could well be correct, especially if looked at it from the point of view of nature itself: a plant, just like any other life form, has a single purpose – procreation. The observation that under adverse conditions there is a certain tendency for a higher number of males to be produced may, in my opinion, be due to the fact that under adverse conditions it is unlikely that the offspring (descendants) will be able to reproduce successfully. Since a female can produce a certain number of female flowers, which will give rise to an equal or lower number of seeds, the higher the number of females, the more descendants there will be. However, under extreme conditions, wise Mother Nature steps in and increases the number of male specimens, since although there is more pollen if there are, for example, 100,000 female flowers, there will never be more than 100,000 seeds, and thus the population will regulate the gender of the plants’ descendants, avoiding overpopulation under less than optimal conditions.

From the blog: Gender: What determines it?

This is just 1 example of why I am trying to use environmental controls to make my grow more prevalent to producing females. Jorge Cervantes is where my original concept came from.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

In the case of cannabis, there are differing points of view. It is thought that the embryo that contains the seed is not a simple diploid cell, but rather a triploid cell (XXX, XXY, XYY or YYY) or even a tetraploid cell (XXXX, XXXY, XXYY, XYYY or YYYY). This theory is plausible. However, if genetic circumstances alone influenced the likelihood of having a pure female plant that only has female flowers, the chances of this happening would be minimal, and since cases of hermaphroditism are at the very least quite rare, it would appear that the genetic make-up of the seed cannot be the sole factor involved in determining the sex of marijuana plants.

You contradict yourself. If herms are rare, how does that suggest anything other than that sex is genetically driven? What evidence is there that anything other than the chromosomal makeup determines sex? Hermaphrodism, BTW, is sexual expression, rather than sex.

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

You contradict yourself. If herms are rare, how does that suggest anything other than that sex is genetically driven? What evidence is there that anything other than the chromosomal makeup determines sex? Hermaphrodism, BTW, is sexual expression, rather than sex.
There is no scientific evidence, just observations by growers with more experience than me. Just doing what I can to have a more successful grow. I have very small operation. Sprouted 3 seeds, if two out of three are female, I will consider 14/10 light cycle a valid way to produce more females, until future observations show different. At very least I will save a little electricity.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

There is no scientific evidence, just observations by growers with more experience than me. Just doing what I can to have a more successful grow. I have very small operation. Sprouted 3 seeds, if two out of three are female, I will consider 14/10 light cycle a valid way to produce more females, until future observations show different. At very least I will save a little electricity.
If you were to flip a coin with your left hand three times, and get 2 heads and one tail, would you conclude that flipping the coin with your left hand causes it to come up heads?

There is just so much science around this that contradicts this belief, as well as so much experience. Enjoy your experiment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom