$15m bust in Ventura County, 7514 plants

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

To an untrained eye, the chaparral-covered hillsides under the circling helicopter looked like any others, but Ventura County sheriff's Cmdr. Gary Pentis saw a few spots of emerald green — telltale markers of marijuana farms.

Authorities had spotted the pot farms in Los Padres National Forest about eight miles from Rose Valley north of Ojai about three weeks ago. On Wednesday, they seized 7,514 marijuana plants with an estimated street value of more than $15 million, said Sgt. Mike Horne of the Ventura County Sheriff's Department's Narcotics Unit.

Pentis led the operation, which included more than 70 personnel from the Sheriff's Department, Ventura County Fire Department, U.S. Forest Service, California Department of Fish and Game, and Drug Enforcement Administration.

The haul Wednesday was on the high end of average. Sheriff's officials expected to find more plants, based on previous surveillance, but it appeared the growers had harvested some before the raid, Horne said.

The raid was the third large marijuana seizure in Ventura County in as many weeks. Authorities found and destroyed more than 14,000 pot plants on July 15 and an additional 7,249 plants on July 24.

The total seized so far is nearly as much as is normally found in the forest in an entire year, authorities said. "It's probably going to be a record year," Pentis said.

Because most marijuana farms are well-hidden, it's hard to know how much might be growing in Los Padres. Finding the farms — "gardens" in police parlance — is often a matter of luck.

"Until we have a couple of years of a demonstrated increase, it might just be a blip on the radar," said John Bridgwater, district ranger for the Ojai region of the Los Padres National Forest.

Forest officials are concerned about the risk the marijuana farms pose to park users and the environment, Bridgwater said.

Sheriff's officials believe the pot cultivation problem is getting worse, partly because of an increase in the influence of Mexican drug cartels.

They also believe drug cartels are behind an increase in violence associated with pot farms this year. No shootings have been reported recently in connection with farms in Ventura County, but police in Northern California this month encountered armed men on a pot farm and shot and killed a suspect.

Authorities used a sheriff's SWAT team in Wednesday's raid. In addition to providing protection for law enforcement colleagues, the team set up a perimeter to try to snare growers flushed out by the raid.

The growers, usually low-level operatives brought in from Mexico, are notoriously hard to catch, because they know all the nooks and crannies of the rugged mountains near the farms, authorities said. Police chased one suspect during Wednesday's raid, but no one was arrested.

What they did find was typical: thousands of 4- to 5-foot-tall pot plants hidden under a chaparral covering, fed by irrigation lines connected to a natural water source nearby. Also typical were the piles of trash, snacks and boxes of homemade beer, swaths of underbrush cut to make room for marijuana, and evidence of pesticide use.

One U.S. Forest Service officer found a can of Mexican rat poison. The growers also left clothes, saws and several hammocks made of irrigation drip line.

Authorities found terraces in the steep, rocky hillside, which indicated the farm had been there for several years, said sheriff's Capt. Derek West.

After law enforcement officers checked for suspects, authorities spent hours chopping down the pot plants, piling them and hauling them out in nets suspended below helicopters. When they had finished, the hillside looked like a lawn hit by a weed whacker.

Then they burned the pot at a staging area in Rose Valley. The plants were stacked in a massive pile and set on fire with drip torches.

Law enforcement agencies have been battling marijuana farms in the Los Padres for many years. Sheriff's and Forest Service officials said continuing eradication efforts are important because of the influence of organized crime, environmental degradation and danger to park visitors.

Sheriff's officials doubt they can completely eliminate the pot cultivation. But if authorities weren't putting pressure on pot farmers, "they would be growing a lot more than what they are," said sheriff's Sgt. Pat MacAuley.

The pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers used by growers filter into local water sources and can affect the entire food chain in a wide area, authorities said.

The diversion of natural water for pot irrigation also can harm the environment, they said.

Growers are often armed, and while the pot farms dismantled Wednesday were in rugged terrain about a mile from the nearest road, others are close enough that park visitors could stumble upon them, authorities said.

Narcotics officers also emphasize the importance of taking the marijuana, which can be much stronger than the type grown 30 years ago, off the streets.

Pentis said he's spoken with many parents whose children have behavioral problems related to pot abuse. "The effects of marijuana addiction on our youth are a lot broader than a lot of people want to admit," he said.

source:

Burning
H

herby

Today Arnold just reduced all state employees to minimum wage. Perhaps they would have more money if they werent wasting thier time on stuff like this.

MountainWalker

MountainWalker

Today Arnold just reduced all state employees to minimum wage. Perhaps they would have more money if they werent wasting thier time on stuff like this.

As a firefighter in the Los Padres Forest for the past four years and lover of both cannabis and our forest, I must disagree that it is a waste of money to be fighting these kinds of grows on National Forest land. I've seen first hand how these outlaw cartel growers poison the environment, leave hundreds of pounds of garbage out there, shoot and kill any animals they see (I've seen a beheaded owl at one site, a bobcat shot in the head at another!) and other extremely negative impacts. Ak-47s are standard at these grows. They use poison that is so bad for the environment that it is illegal here in the U.S. and is shipped in from Mexico! I've seen firsthand a 20 lb box of the stuff just abandoned at a spent grow site. To top it off the La Brea fire of 2009 was started by some of these jackasses and burned about 90% of the San Rafael wilderness in the forest (look it up). Cannabis needs to be grown by responsible people, not these criminal cartels who will not think twice about killing to protect a garden. The people who are growing in Los Padres Forest don't give a #$%! about you and I, trust me, I have seen it and it is sickening. Very little resources are actually going towards fighting this; I quote our local Forest Service LEO saying last season, "we just don't have the money to fight them. We go out, cut their crop down, and in two weeks they are back with new plants in the ground, we just can't stop it."

I had the same attitude of "why waste money fighting pot growers in the forest" until I saw up close and personal the horrors of these Mexican cartels setting up shop in our local forests.

Venom818

Venom818

As a firefighter in the Los Padres Forest for the past four years and lover of both cannabis and our forest, I must disagree that it is a waste of money to be fighting these kinds of grows on National Forest land. I've seen first hand how these outlaw cartel growers poison the environment, leave hundreds of pounds of garbage out there, shoot and kill any animals they see (I've seen a beheaded owl at one site, a bobcat shot in the head at another!) and other extremely negative impacts. Ak-47s are standard at these grows. They use poison that is so bad for the environment that it is illegal here in the U.S. and is shipped in from Mexico! I've seen firsthand a 20 lb box of the stuff just abandoned at a spent grow site. To top it off the La Brea fire of 2009 was started by some of these jackasses and burned about 90% of the San Rafael wilderness in the forest (look it up). Cannabis needs to be grown by responsible people, not these criminal cartels who will not think twice about killing to protect a garden. The people who are growing in Los Padres Forest don't give a #$%! about you and I, trust me, I have seen it and it is sickening. Very little resources are actually going towards fighting this; I quote our local Forest Service LEO saying last season, "we just don't have the money to fight them. We go out, cut their crop down, and in two weeks they are back with new plants in the ground, we just can't stop it."

I had the same attitude of "why waste money fighting pot growers in the forest" until I saw up close and personal the horrors of these Mexican cartels setting up shop in our local forests.

so your saying that all the growers growing in the national forest are mexican drug cartel growers gtfo your an ass clown

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

MountainWalker is right. Legalization would go a long way to the guerrilla farmers that poison the environment

S

sfzoo

Agree w/ MountainWalker.

AKs, poisoning the earth, etc.etc.etc....well, i'm not gonna defend these types of growers.

MountainWalker

MountainWalker

so your saying that all the growers growing in the national forest are mexican drug cartel growers gtfo your an ass clown

Read my words, I am not talking ALL forests but the Los Padres Forest, and yes 95% of the grows out here are Mexican cartels. Have you helped clean up some of these sites like I have? No. I speak from first hand experience. I am sure in some other forests there are responsible cultivation practices going on, but here in the Los Padres, it's a horror story. If you thought I was being prejudice, then your wrong, my fiance is was actually born in Mexico.
is it me or does that fire fighter looked stoned as fuck. i bet he volunteered for that job.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/3/Stoned-Reporter-471072

No actually I work 6 months in summer,get paid well, and it provides my living for a whole year, not a bad gig, and something very few people can do (carrying 80+ lbs in steep rugged terrain in 100+ heat, working 16-32 hour shifts, sleeping on the ground every night). Why hate on someone who protects the lives and property of citizens like you? It is actually a respectable thing to be doing.

Venom818

Venom818

Read my words, I am not talking ALL forests but the Los Padres Forest, and yes 95% of the grows out here are Mexican cartels. Have you helped clean up some of these sites like I have? No. I speak from first hand experience. I am sure in some other forests there are responsible cultivation practices going on, but here in the Los Padres, it's a horror story. If you thought I was being prejudice, then your wrong, my fiance is was actually born in Mexico.

I read your words and to me it seemed like your only pointing the finger at mexicans know its 95% LOL.Im all for protecting the forest and the animals that live in it but lets not single out a group of people when you know its not only mexicans destroying the forest.

MountainWalker

MountainWalker

I read your words and to me it seemed like your only pointing the finger at mexicans know its 95% LOL.Im all for protecting the forest and the animals that live in it but lets not single out a group of people when you know its not only mexicans destroying the forest.

Mexicans and Mexican cartels are two very different things. I love Mexican people and hate Mexican cartels. I guess I am pointing a finger at Mexican Cartels because they are fucking things up. Don't mean to offend anyone and point fingers, why defend drug cartels? If they were Italian cartels I would say Italians. This has nothing to do with which race the growers are.

Venom818

Venom818

Mexicans and Mexican cartels are two very different things. I love Mexican people and hate Mexican cartels. I guess I am pointing a finger at Mexican Cartels because they are fucking things up. Don't mean to offend anyone and point fingers, why defend drug cartels? If they were Italian cartels I would say Italians. This has nothing to do with which race the growers are.

cool no sweat bro I was just saying its not all mexicans doing these types of grows.I agree mexican cartels should not growing there or anywhere for that matter.

P

primeform

Hate to say it, but up here in the emerald triangle the MAIN problem in national forest lands are MEXICAN NATIONAL grows. Its simply proven. From my ranch I can hear cars ALL NIGHT LONG driving in and dropping off illegal aliens smuggled up here just for the summer. The only people that the cops REALLY go after around here are these mega grows on national lands and meth shacks. I have a place on the coast that is next to an apartment building full of mexican nationals. All very nice people and some of the best neighbors ive had because they stick to themselves. One guy introduced himself to me as Jose and worked on my vehicles for 2 years. I had NO IDEA that he knew anything about marijuana. Then at the end of the summer I read in the paper that his name was really Juan and he was caught with 100lbs in his truck.

I agree that mexican grows in national forests arent the only damage, but its really uncomparable. One of their grows would make any of the gorilla growers here look like chump change. Last year they erradicated 10,000 plants on the mountain 2 miles away from my land.

hiboy

hiboy

Holy Krap i live in ventura county

im goin hiking yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

M

MTM

I hate goddamn RIPPERS,I had 175 plants get stole from some so- called hiker.I got something for you hikers-rippers

K

kovybarla

Bust at underground pot grow room nets $800K in plants

An underground bunker at a Williston property served as the location for a marijuana growing operation with more than $800,000 in plants, the Levy County Sheriff’s Office reported.

MountainWalker

MountainWalker

New Record Bust In So Cal Forest

Can't stress enough how sick this crap is. HUNDREDS of pounds of garbage left, guns, poaching. Down with the cartels!!! We need responsible cultivation, not outlaws trashing our forest.

Tokenblack

Tokenblack

Perhaps u should tell ur LEO to stop wasting money on burning the crop and just get a small recon team to infil to the site for about a week, lay low, and when the earth killing bastards regain their overlooked garden....pull out ur .308 and "Take the shot sniper"....!!!!

On another subject, how are you a firefighter conscripted out to the state dept of forestry AND smoke bud? Sounds like a cool job except for the fact that u have aid ur state wages with kilos packed in ur mountain rucksack....other than that, do as George Washington says: "make the most of the great hemp seed and sow it everywhere!!!" (I mean, ur already out there, if ur gonna harvest and burn it off anyways, why not pull some seeds out the pocket?)

Top Bottom