1973 Columbian Gold Seeds turning to mush. Any advise?

• Thread starter Snype
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Snype

I was lucky to get a few thousand Columbian Gold seeds that were sitting around since 1973. 24-36 hours after they have been in paper towels, it looks like a root tip comes out but it is all mush. I know the seeds are old but I'm wondering if anyone has any methods of getting 30+ year old seed to sprout. The fact that there seems to be some type of action on 30+ year old seed makes me think that there must be a way to get a few to make it. I've tried a few different techniques including, scoring the seeds, using SuperThrive, H2O2 and Chlorine. I'm sure that some old school peeps on here know of something that can help me. Any advise?

D

Donk Frog

sounds like they are strong enough to sprout the tail(root tip) but no stored energy to push out of shell or membrain....which cases they to drown and rot.....had it happen.... try soaking over night then score the seed open carefully with razor or sisers, remove membrain careful, and baby the shit out of it it will most likley be completly white with no stored energy left, best is under lights 24/0 nice & warm but not too warm, they will need food right away be sure not burn them good luck

S

Snype

Thanks but I tried that too with no success

sounds like they are strong enough to sprout the tail(root tip) but no stored energy to push out of shell or membrain....which cases they to drown and rot.....had it happen.... try soaking over night then score the seed open carefully with razor or sisers, remove membrain careful, and baby the shit out of it it will most likley be completly white with no stored energy left, best is under lights 24/0 nice & warm but not too warm, they will need food right away be sure not burn them good luck
Thanks for the advise! I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'm assuming that you would plant it right into a seed starter with a very week solution. I'll try a few things and post up my results. Thanks again!

Any other advise is greatly appreciated!

sky high

sky high

Try one of these rather than using paper towels.

it has worked well for me, for sure. I wouldn't even think of putting a seed in a paper towel these days.

good luck with yer pop

s h

sky high

sky high

This shows the inside of the tray. You pour water in the top tray and it drips/filters down from the top to the collection basin below. The seed sits up on the ridges a bit ..out of any water but in a very humid environment and in less than 48 hours I always see something like the pic below. (theses are not 35 year old seeds in the pic but I think this sprouter will make it happen if there are any viable seeds there!)

I remember those Golds and Reds. Comin from Mexi brickweed the shit took the top of our heads off. I still remember that bus ride to school the first day someone brought a penner of it to the bus stop. LOL. HIGH school, indeed!

best of luck!

s h

ABC
KAL EL

KAL EL

Soak them in water until the tap sticks out. Once the tap sticks out, put them in soil and give em a boost of Nitrogen.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Columbian Gold

By far the best weed I've ever smoked, back in college 1981-2. Haven't seen any since, GOOD LUCK

mal

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would shoot Ohsogreen a private message and ask him how to help these beans grow.

A

AlienBoyD7

use alfalfa seed soak water...contains all the trace elements they will need

coloradochem

coloradochem

try soaking em in white widow that shit is the miricle powder

springer20

springer20

Yeah

Try stop with the juvinile compulsive lying and maybe karma will hook you up next time ..... Anyone that's wondering see snypes other fairytale threads !!!! Either a compulsive liar or a idiot !!!!!! Either way you loose snype ........ Epic fail for a life lol

Top Bottom