1990s Mexican Brick Weed Genetics

• Thread starter RandyPickles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RandyPickles

RandyPickles

Hey farm, I know there have been discussions in the past about our old friend schwag, boof, brick, vato, etc. and even reports of people growing out the plants.

What I'm ultimately trying to do is figure out what the genetics were and what chance there is of growing something similar.

The brick I'm referring to is what we were getting in San Diego in the early-mid 1990s.

I've done work with Acapulco Gold and Oaxacan, but my experience with the Oaxacan was more of a purely headband feeling while Acapulco Gold is an amazingly powerful strain with a more headbanging high than what I recall the vato being.

The closest I've come to replicating it was Old Mendo Haze from Norstar as well as a few ounces of a rusty looking bottom shelf strain labeled "Mexicali" I got at a medical dispo in Pacific Beach (San Diego) in 2014. The smoke was just as i remembered and the buds had a structure that suggested some kind of skunk/Afghani influence and i never saw it again.

If anyone has any leads, ideas, similar experiences or better yet seeds, I'd very much appreciate it 🙏

Thanks Farm and hope everyone is well

basscaptain

basscaptain

there's a guy in Hemet name tripp that still grow good old mex brick stems form the 70's I would check out the shops by perris if I lived in that area...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For old school sativas. And they have panama and crosses. I have been looking here. I miss the giggle weed. Looks like lots of happy trippy strains here.

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

there's a guy in Hemet name tripp that still grow good old mex brick stems form the 70's I would check out the shops by perris if I lived in that area...
Awesome, thanks! I'm heading back to SD in a few weeks so I'll ask around!

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

For old school sativas. And they have panama and crosses. I have been looking here. I miss the giggle weed. Looks like lots of happy trippy strains here.
Oh yes, Ace is my favorite bank! Unfortunately their one blind spot seems to be Mexican strains but I've run a lot of their gear and they're one of a kind. Zamaldelica, Orient Express, Panama and Malawi were all amazing but I got a pheno of Nepalese Jam that was a heavy Nepalese, rose, strawberry pheno that's easily one of my top 5 strains. Happy, inspirational and spiritual. Their Super Malawi Haze is one I'm really interested in, but with flu and shipping, I'm going to wait a bit on having anything shipped across the pond. Amazing stuff tho

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh yes, Ace is my favorite bank! Unfortunately their one blind spot seems to be Mexican strains but I've run a lot of their gear and they're one of a kind. Zamaldelica, Orient Express, Panama and Malawi were all amazing but I got a pheno of Nepalese Jam that was a heavy Nepalese, rose, strawberry pheno that's easily one of my top 5 strains. Happy, inspirational and spiritual. Their Super Malawi Haze is one I'm really interested in, but with flu and shipping, I'm going to wait a bit on having anything shipped across the pond. Amazing stuff tho

Yeah flu stopped me from ordering too. But thanks for the review. I am looking at the A 5 haze and malawi stuff.

Sounds like @basscaptain has you covered. :-)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if you hang around the bars in old mex you will find it,use to be ox back in the day,the kick was they harvest to soon which took from potency,i smoked some old school about 4 years ago while i was visiting,be surprised what you might find by street vendors in progresso,just saying

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

Yeah flu stopped me from ordering too. But thanks for the review. I am looking at the A 5 haze and malawi stuff.

Sounds like @basscaptain has you covered. :-)
Nice, the A5/OTH they offer is a miracle in a world of endless cookie crosses. I've tried running their hazes a few times and have never succeeded indoors, but someday I still plan on using males to beef up potency on other strains.

You'll appreciate Malawi for sure. Zamaldelica was a hit when I ran it because it has a hypnotic and fun high but I had to give my stash of Malawi away after a few weeks because it was so mind warping I couldn't function as a normal member of society when I smoked it and I'd show up to work the next day still wearing a space helmet. Amazing stuff!

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

if you hang around the bars in old mex you will find it,use to be ox back in the day,the kick was they harvest to soon which took from potency,i smoked some old school about 4 years ago while i was visiting,be surprised what you might find by street vendors in progresso,just saying
Interesting, thanks man! That makes sense that it would be Oaxacan from the weak but happy buzz and structure of the smashed buds. I go to Guadalajara pretty regularly so looks like a side trip is in order! 🙌🙌🙌 Thanks again and good looking out

basscaptain

basscaptain

man you just need to go to TJ then..... if your Kool with Mexico I'll send you to a bar.......

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

cant remember year,but it known that the ox was the flower for the time,problem was that they grew wild and didnt cull males so the plants would all breed making the smoke less potent,still buzzed ya ,but as with any seeded plant it is less potent,so in the valley the first sensimilla was born,not cool to mention group of folk that did so ,but there was a huge plantation of it,sold like hot cakes here if you remember and also when the price of a lid went from 10 buck a lid to 35 bucks a lid,and it steady went up from there,not long after that when that skunk shit hit the streets in my state,i prefer the mex dirt weed over skunk to this day,dont want anything to do with that crap,hahahh

Top Bottom