1st attempt at defoliation

• Thread starter mushface
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mushface

mushface

I'm currently on a pheno hunt chasing a white master mother these are 3 different phenos. This will be the 3rd and final run for a few. I have 2 others in flower 1 of which i had to boot kept throwing nanners and the other is a frosty lady but the yield isn't what I'm after. I defoiled her in bloom to see if i can boost the yield I will post pics of her later. The 2 pics are before & after cell phone shots @ 11 days apart.
1st attempt at defoliation
1st attempt at defoliation 2

skuzz99

skuzz99

r they all clones? u can defoliate then tho that looks pretty xtreme! dunno if thats wat u were trying 2 do?

mushface

mushface

Uhhm what did you do?or what were you trying to do?
I took all fans that had a stem. I am hydro and have a hard time controlling upward growth. Im trying to keep them short and bushy with many many growth tips. sorry for the confusion

Natural

Natural

I think you cost yourself a couple of weeks there mush..next time try pinching the tops after the 3rd or 4th node appears..then, when they bush out with tops defoliate about a 1/3 of your fans if ya want the defoliate action. It's like a hair cut..you can always trim more but hard to grow it back right away.

mushface

mushface

r they all clones? u can defoliate then tho that looks pretty xtreme! dunno if thats wat u were trying 2 do?
They are all clones from a seed pack. I hacked 2 1 for nanners and the other because of rookie mistake i was susceptible to nitrogen deficiency in early bloom but i think it was my fault for foliaring rhizotonic inthe first 2 weeks of flower then foliaring with true blooms but she was a taller pheno with a helluva yield. Dont know what was i thinking but after reading here it wont happen again.

mushface

mushface

I think you cost yourself a couple of weeks there mush..next time try pinching the tops after the 3rd or 4th node appears..then, when they bush out with tops defoliate about a 1/3 of your fans if ya want the defoliate action. It's like a hair cut..you can always trim more but hard to grow it back right away.
Thanks bro always welcome advice. Im not in a rush im dealing with moving issues and after reading much for and against i thought i would try it myself and see what all the fuss is about. But i surely as well will do what you have recommended and see which bests fits my bill.

NagaKing

NagaKing

Just remember plants need their leaves to photosynthesize.
Take too many and you'll stunt their growth.
Then their energy will be directed towards production of new leaves before much else can happen.
As leaves are how they power themselves.
Learning every step of the way.
I sure have plenty more to do.

mushface

mushface

Just remember plants need their leaves to photosynthesize.
Take too many and you'll stunt their growth.
Then their energy will be directed towards production of new leaves before much else can happen.
As leaves are how they power themselves.
Learning every step of the way.
I sure have plenty more to do.
Thanks mate. That's what i thought until i read a 288 page thread and a couple different reports it started me to wanting to try it. i really wont need clones in the near future i thought I'll give it a try. But if i wasnt in this dilemma with moving i probably wouldn't have tried it.

NagaKing

NagaKing

Thanks mate. That's what i thought until i read a 288 page thread and a couple different reports it started me to wanting to try it. i really wont need clones in the near future i thought I'll give it a try. But if i wasnt in this dilemma with moving i probably wouldn't have tried it.

Now that is patience!
228 pages. That's a worth in thread form!
Pretty sure I've never done that.
And I've been on forums for a while by now. LOL
Power on brother!

mushface

mushface

This plant here threw nanners early. Picking early kept pollen isolated so it didn't ruin my crop. These are at day 43. Excuse my pics I'm a amateur with a DroidIMG 20131005 235922 IMG 20131005 235946

Penelope

Penelope

That's what i thought until i read a 288 page thread and a couple different reports it started me to wanting to try it.

Hey mush... I think I read some of the same material you did. The concept of defoliation was fascinating to me so I gave it a try. I thought I followed all the recommendations. Plucking and training. Didn't really know what to expect, but it made a lot of sense to remove the fan leaves that were acting as umbrellas shading the flowers from getting light. It was really cool to have the same size flowers all over the plants! They were definitely compact and easy to manage. A breeze to trim. But they only averaged 1.6 oz per plant. I wish I knew what I could have done differently / better. Definitely an interesting experiment! Thanks for sharing.

Example of before / after defol:
IMG 5288

Young flower bush:
IMG 5315

At 9 weeks:
IMG 5341

Cut and hang :D
IMG 5421

mushface

mushface

Hey mush... I think I read some of the same material you did. The concept of defoliation was fascinating to me so I gave it a try. I thought I followed all the recommendations. Plucking and training. Didn't really know what to expect, but it made a lot of sense to remove the fan leaves that were acting as umbrellas shading the flowers from getting light. It was really cool to have the same size flowers all over the plants! They were definitely compact and easy to manage. A breeze to trim. But they only averaged 1.6 oz per plant. I wish I knew what I could have done differently / better. Definitely an interesting experiment! Thanks for sharing.

Example of before / after defol:
View attachment 346588

Young flower bush:
View attachment 346589

At 9 weeks:
View attachment 346590

Cut and hang :D
View attachment 346591
Nice pics and thanks for the info Frebo. Have you ever ran her untouched and if so did she yield more?

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Hey...just wanted to drop a line here. I did a side by side thread on another forum on defoliation. What I found when I tested was that plants that I defoliated grew a lot more, but much smaller buds... the plant I did not grew much bigger buds and had a bigger yield in the end. I also found it detrimental to defoliate once I flipped, just really slowed em down alot. I still defoliate, but only when theres a leaf covering a potential budsite and only in veg. Good luck. MGG

mushface

mushface

Hey...just wanted to drop a line here. I did a side by side thread on another forum on defoliation. What I found when I tested was that plants that I defoliated grew a lot more, but much smaller buds... the plant I did not grew much bigger buds and had a bigger yield in the end. I also found it detrimental to defoliate once I flipped, just really slowed em down alot. I still defoliate, but only when theres a leaf covering a potential budsite and only in veg. Good luck. MGG
Thanks for the info. I hope your results were strain dependent though since i defoiled after stretch but i guess I'll just have to wait & see.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I took all fans that had a stem. I am hydro and have a hard time controlling upward growth. Im trying to keep them short and bushy with many many growth tips. sorry for the confusion

EDIT, should of read entire thread before post .......my bad

Penelope

Penelope

Have you ever ran her untouched and if so did she yield more?

Hi mush. Good question. I took those cuttings (shown in the pictures) from the previous group that was wild and untouched other than removing a few of the lowest branches. That group averaged almost 3.2 oz per plant. *However* they were in veg more than 3 weeks longer than the ones I defoliated. Regardless, the yield was significantly different and I don't know where I went wrong with the technique.

I think it is best explained here, if anyone is interested:
http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-defoliation-tutorial

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

That's interesting, I have been tossing around the idea of leaving a few ladies untrimmed. Did you factor in the larf for your weight or toss it?

mushface

mushface

Hi mush. Good question. I took those cuttings (shown in the pictures) from the previous group that was wild and untouched other than removing a few of the lowest branches. That group averaged almost 3.2 oz per plant. *However* they were in veg more than 3 weeks longer than the ones I defoliated. Regardless, the yield was significantly different and I don't know where I went wrong with the technique.

I think it is best explained here, if anyone is interested:
http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-defoliation-tutorial
Your info is very much appreciated;)the link you entered was the same thread I read that had me interested in defoil but I read it on another site its 288pages. I don't think it was anything you did wrong that affected the yield but I think the 3 week veg was the difference. imo

Top Bottom