1st basement grow. should i use the fireplace for exhaust?

• Thread starter indonesia
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indonesia

indonesia

ive been gardening for a few years but its always been ground level. My research has led me to believe that a basement is the ideal spot for a garden. The basement is fully finished with new windows, fireplace and a door at the top of the stairs. Theres a bedroom with a door down there but id really rather not blow even clean exhaust air out of the windows because theyre obviously at ground level. The fireplace was what sold me on it, i think i can jimmy something out of it. ive heard a few things about making negative pressure down there but havent done any research in that field yet

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

ive been gardening for a few years but its always been ground level. My research has led me to believe that a basement is the ideal spot for a garden. The basement is fully finished with new windows, fireplace and a door at the top of the stairs. Theres a bedroom with a door down there but id really rather not blow even clean exhaust air out of the windows because theyre obviously at ground level. The fireplace was what sold me on it, i think i can jimmy something out of it. ive heard a few things about making negative pressure down there but havent done any research in that field yet[/quot

When I was running air-cooled hoods I vented out the fireplace> it worked great!

Tank333

Tank333

Sure, it's definitely doable. Just make sure to seal it up well. You don't want to be blowing soot around your room...

Got some pics you could throw up?

indonesia

indonesia

i dont think ill have a problem there, i use tents. Seems like most of the people that reply have commercial set ups. ive kept it small, and its worked lovely:) got 10'x10' of tent space, the perfect ammount of work for one person. i hate having partners its never turned out well

Fred Flintstoned

Fred Flintstoned

This is what I did in my basement. I took a piece of 3/4 in. plywood cut 1 foot bigger than the fireplace hole. I cut an 8 in. hole in the center and attached an 8 in. through wall starter duct and taped it tight. 6 in. in from the perimeter on the top and sides I attached one inch rubber weatherstripping. I also put a strip along the bottom edge. I then drilled holes in the mortar joints and inserted brick anchors and screwed the plywood to the brick hearth. I then hung my carbon filter high up in the growroom and attached hard duct to the starter. Taped every joint tight. I do mean every joint, this is crucial to efficient and quiet operation.
I also run a separate fan circuit into the plywood that cools my lights. I'm running 8kw and my 8 in. Vortex keeps everything cool year round. I even have to slow it down in winter. I've lived in many houses in the last 20 years and this is by far the best set up I've had to date. The temp stays constant year round and the money I used to spend on cooling a sealed room now makes my car payment.
Btw, make sure the fireplace flue is open before you seal it up. I learned this the hard way.
Hope this helps,
Fred

indonesia

indonesia

so you pull intake thru the chimney also? Is there a way to remove the flue completely? i havent moved yet so i havent gotten much of a chance to look at it

Fred Flintstoned

Fred Flintstoned

I draw intake air from the unfinished half of the basement through the wall I built to create my 14 x 18 grow room. Half of my basement is finished but way too big (24 x 26) for my needs. The basement is 12 feet below grade with a concrete floor so the intake air is a constant 65 or so year round. My controller automatically slows down the fan at night to keep the plants from getting too cold. There's also an added benefit to the exposed concrete in that it helps keep my rdwc cooler therefore reducing how much my chiller runs.
I doubt it would be possible to remove the damper in the chimney. It was most likely mortared in when the chimney was built. I don't think it would be necessary anyway. The opening is approx. 6 x 32 or so which is plenty big enough for exhaust and the natural draw of the chimney helps too. If you can seal the opening tightly there shouldn't be any problem. Mine leaks a little around one edge but not enough to worry about.
Hope this helps,
Fred

Last edited:
Top Bottom