1st DWC Grow..need help identifying whats wrong

• Thread starter jcsaszar09
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I'm completely grasping this. I had spent 20 yrs or so breeding fish and propagating aquatic plants and there is no replacement for cycled and will established tank.

With very sensitive species in saltwater you want a tank running for many months to a yr to establish the biodiversity needed for a healthy stable self sustaining environment.

I have built algae scrubbers and have a decent grasp on bacteria and microbes for no formal education.

I am curious how you accomplish this in your system? My brain says the easy way would be a trickle type filter filled with you media such as ceramic, sand, peat (PH control and humic/fulvic acid), even soil with more clay and amendments on different trays for largest pore size to smallest. Sand is an amazing filter (used for such in many pools) that would maximize air exposure and provide tons of surface area for bacteria populations of a wide range of classifications. Basically could use something like a stackable bin system with the bottoms cut out and window screen and filter sponge (also a great home for bacteria) to line them.

Basically a recirc system with a biofilter that serves as nutrient source and provides a huge amount of benefit to preventing any root infections.

Ok I'll stop my rambling I could go on for days lol
I was going to quiz you in a year or so on a few things regarding aquaponics. Biofloc methods remove ammonia with bacteria instead of using biofilters. There are green and brown biofloc methods for algie growth? I'm lost there... But neither use filters. They use surface skimmers and sedlement tanks with high airration water pumps, they move some water and heavily airate the water due to the bacteria and shrimp competing for oxygen.

Thats the overall function, my question is since it's salt water, would this method work in fresh water aquaponics? The kicker is your fish biproduct must be able to survive in murkey waters due to the biomass available for their consumption. This limits what you can farm.

My question is are there fresh water shrimp, and could this method be used for also growing weed lol.. Like what other options would I have than just white pacific shrimp? Could you guess why algie would be grown in the biofloc system, I have no idea how it would help manage things? Some use greenhouses, others LEDs.

Its just that I have over 5000ft of commercial floor space and a roof. A few pools and bio floc farms would be epic. I'm just wondering since it's new, if the possibilities would be more limited or open.

There's also no water changes, and like 99% feed consumption due to shrimp breaking material back down or something.. Prolly only works with shrimp because of that feature. I just know I need pointed in the best direction.

jcsaszar09

jcsaszar09

Gonna ask a list of questions here so you can get the right info out.

The basics....
1. Water level

2. Water change frequency

3. List of equipment (all of it including make and models) absolutely everything any fans etc.

4. How are you mixing those nutes... im with @Ponky on thise nutes. Ditch em and I only say that because I see a lot of posts involving them and have no experience with them.

5. What additives are you using? Ph up, ph down, cak mag etc.

6 are you running live or sterile?

Day and night temps.

I'll start by saying get thise humidifiers out of the tent. You condition the room the tent sits in not the tent itself.

Your water temp is to cold.

And I'll save the rest for later.
1. water level is maybe a half inch to an inch above the basket...was thinking of lowering it since i have roots out the bottom but wasnt sure

2. These are only 2-3 weeks old....started the seeds in rockwool on Sept 6th...havent done a full water change yet ( except on the plant in question, I changed it out yesterday hoping to restart and added some Cal-Mag)

3. 5 x5 x6 grow tent, Mars Hydro TSW 2000, Vivosun 6 inch 440 CFM vent system, 1.5 inch air stones, white food grade buckets ( i wrapped them in bubble insulation), 1 inline fan inside the tent, two humidifiers inside the tent, a couple humidity/temp guag

4. Mixing nutes together in water before adding to the tank, checking PH after nutes have been added

5. just using PH up, down and i havent been using Cal-mag until yesterday just on that one plant. Again im using RO water from my tap that comes out around 7.3-7.4 so im mainly using PH down

6. Sorry dont know what live or sterile means please educate

I run the lights 18/6 with them on from 6pm-12pm to help with the cold (tent is in my basement) "Day" temps when the lights are on are between 72-74 max when the lights are off it cools down to 69

I did just check the PH on all 4 plants after feeding yesterday and the entire water replacement on this one plant....the other 3 PH was 6.2ish but this plant thats hurting was all the way back up to 7.2 already and i noticed the water in the bucket almost had a froth to it.

jcsaszar09

jcsaszar09

I wont add much cause these guys will help more but for a few basics, ...watch the New growth on Top mostly...dont sweat the beat up under neath stuff as much...
When you do get DWC dialed it will be Fast as Fook...
So get ready cause you have a challenge on your hands..I ran solo DWC buckets for 4 yrs....Loved it!!....Fast growth and massive yields...it was hard to keep up with it!...heheh
I did design a DWC feeding system if you get to a point and want try my method..but its BODWC - Bio Organic DWC...
I used to pull 3-4oz's off of 2gal painters buckets...
This is what Our BubbaOkush looks like at 3+oz in a 2gal solo....
power to it

btw....Im in Englewood now bro.....and hold Real Vintage solid Genetics....hit me up...
FOE20
thanks man! yea thats why i choose DWC, i kept seeing all these massive yields! I will absolutely be hitting you up, i was hoping that id find someone in colorado on this forum lol

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

"was hoping that id find someone in colorado"

@dreamfox

Ps: water level should be 1-2" below the pot

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

"was hoping that id find someone in colorado"

@dreamfox

Ps: water level should be 1-2" below the pot
I would suggest keeping all the roots submerged would be easier for preventing root rot. My roots stay under water.. And I cannot get root rot.. Impossible at 72 water Temps lol..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was going to quiz you in a year or so on a few things regarding aquaponics. Biofloc methods remove ammonia with bacteria instead of using biofilters. There are green and brown biofloc methods for algie growth? I'm lost there... But neither use filters. They use surface skimmers and sedlement tanks with high airration water pumps, they move some water and heavily airate the water due to the bacteria and shrimp competing for oxygen.

Thats the overall function, my question is since it's salt water, would this method work in fresh water aquaponics? The kicker is your fish biproduct must be able to survive in murkey waters due to the biomass available for their consumption. This limits what you can farm.

My question is are there fresh water shrimp, and could this method be used for also growing weed lol.. Like what other options would I have than just white pacific shrimp? Could you guess why algie would be grown in the biofloc system, I have no idea how it would help manage things? Some use greenhouses, others LEDs.

Its just that I have over 5000ft of commercial floor space and a roof. A few pools and bio floc farms would be epic. I'm just wondering since it's new, if the possibilities would be more limited or open.

There's also no water changes, and like 99% feed consumption due to shrimp breaking material back down or something.. Prolly only works with shrimp because of that feature. I just know I need pointed in the best direction.
No shrimp in aquaponics they are to sensitive to nitrogen etc.

Tilapia work well.

The bacteria that consume nitrates are anaerobic not exactly what we want. The nitrogen conversion is done by several different bacteria and you can grow your own colony without anything else but water and ammonia as they will occur natural and then you adjust the bioload and surface area they can attach to. It goes ammonia to nitrite then nitrite to nitrates thise are both aerobic and then nitrogen consuming are anaerobic. What you are looking for is an algae scrubber... I have made a few and sized properly I can keep my nitrates under 10ppm and most of the tie almost 0. You want a certain type of algae that's fast growing. I found green hair algae to be the best. I ca walk ya through how to make one if you like

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I would suggest keeping all the roots submerged would be easier for preventing root rot. My roots stay under water.. And I cannot get root rot.. Impossible at 72 water Temps lol..
Roots yes. Rockwool no.

Op said they are seeds in Rockwool

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Roots yes. Rockwool no.

Op said they are seeds in Rockwool
I keep 1/3rd of my rockwool submerged when placing tap rooted seeds into system. Sort of wicks it up without over saturation. Also eliminates top feeding. But agreed, I submerge all the way only after I have leafs. Rockwool kind of pointless after roots establish imo

Last edited:
jcsaszar09

jcsaszar09

7C45BD80 B536 453D AE38 A2A7A799A1AC 1 105 c

Just went down to check on them before the lights turn off and shes not looking too hot.....the PH keeps jumping up fast....my 3 others are rising much more slowly

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
I am curious how you accomplish this in your system?
It was built on Solo application by Variety....hows that grab ya?..heh....But yea theres more to it indeed....not much more and I feel you will be beyond surprised how easily I accomplished the methoiod and my work...
We would need a bigger blog bradda....we could take this to DM.....its a thick topic and im not giving my work away for free...For myself the IP is extremely valuable and why I do well when I consult...
Said this before but to clarify, Im far from a novice...53 and a master grower/breeder....I did not give myself that title...It was given to me and earned thru rigorus amounts of work and documentation over the last 30yrs...Even beyond that Im a workaholic and never stop cause Im build different....
But I have answers for your questions...power to it

ps: I could even bring up the micro fogger systems....which is Tech thats not created yet....
FOE20

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

It was built on Solo application by Variety....hows that grab ya?..heh....But yea theres more to it indeed....not much more and I feel you will be beyond surprised how easily I accomplished the methoiod and my work...
We would need a bigger blog bradda....we could take this to DM.....its a thick topic and im not giving my work away for free...For myself the IP is extremely valuable and why I do well when I consult...
Said this before but to clarify, Im far from a novice...53 and a master grower/breeder....I did not give myself that title...It was given to me and earned thru rigorus amounts of work and documentation over the last 30yrs...Even beyond that Im a workaholic and never stop cause Im build different....

ps: I could even bring up the micro fogger systems....which is Tech thats not created yet....
FOE20
Don't take this the wrong way but are you here for business or here to share?
I say that because i too thought this would be of interest. I know i was

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

FOE20
I'm all for some DM convo with any info or even topic you feel comfortable sharing or shooting the shit on.... never learn enough about any of this 👍

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sharing is one thing but some things a person accomplishes and puts yrs of work into deserves compensation for. I don't blame anyone for not sharing what they don't want. I just appreciate the information and discussions on the topics ppl are willing to. Imo I'm not entitled to any of it so any is a benefit I am grateful for.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Sharing is one thing but some things a person accomplishes and puts yrs of work into deserves compensation for. I don't blame anyone for not sharing what they don't want. I just appreciate the information and discussions on the topics ppl are willing to. Imo I'm not entitled to any of it so any is a benefit I am grateful for.
Fully agree but he brought it up.

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
Well my reputation is def never been about business....but Im not just going to teach a bunch of ppl how to get killer yields in DWC....cause Quality is Job #1...
So my method and insight is avail to any who have the right heart and mindset....and if its about $$ and yields theres already a prob....
Im disabled not by choice, used to be a extremely high functioning worker....but still you guys dont know me....Im just gettin familiar here and in no hurry myself....
I have full records and doc's on my method and how it was all done top to bottom..
But the system isnt what matters..it is the Method...BODWC - Bio-Organic DWC...
At the same time...what happens if I lay it all out and a number of ppl fail...Is that my fault?....
So I know what your after....and its cost me much more then $$ my bradda....Ive lost my mind a few time as well.....So no, its not free for me...
but how ppl approach me and why they want this information needs meaning...Like if your a MED Lic holder and have real serious issues...
Im here for you and will do more then the avr to try my best to help...
Far as "to new" of folks, ppl still learning, croppers, breeders, pollen chuckers....naaa....they can figure it out for themselves...
Were talking advanced tech based on solid methods...Now this is not what ppl in warehouses are doing...They use NPK as most but its concentrate or synthetic...
Were not talking soil but we are talking Organics...
And to be blunt None of this Matters Unless you have Full Understanding of the Variety or Varieties your going to use in this type of system...
Cause Variety Dictates All my bradda....And thats why my main posts are about Varieties....Not methods...
Far as direct consult fees and all when I do get employed as a short term Master Grower...its not cheap....
But Im not here for that....Even tho its always a option...
Im only here cause I happen to talk to Logic again on IG.....and I already had been here before....personally my last 5-6yrs have been extremely hard and at my age this shit is gettin old...
This is allot deeper for me then it may appear,....and We do it the way it always used to be done....Be Kind, Honest, Respectful and Pay it Forward...
Our work and genetics are avail to some for free....Far as my own IP.....thats a diff story and hell no its not free but Im not promoting that here either...
Just for perspective fellaz...Im here in Colorado helping a old friend thats slowly dying....While Im runing his crop, my crop and trying to help others as well...So I feel no need to explain myself..
So hows you day lookin?.....
FOE20

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
No worries...their about to get a answer....appreciate you man...power to ya
FOE20

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Well my reputation is def never been about business....but Im not just going to teach a bunch of ppl how to get killer yields in DWC....cause Quality is Job #1...
So my method and insight is avail to any who have the right heart and mindset....and if its about $$ and yields theres already a prob....
Im disabled not by choice, used to be a extremely high functioning worker....but still you guys dont know me....Im just gettin familiar here and in no hurry myself....
I have full records and doc's on my method and how it was all done top to bottom..
But the system isnt what matters..it is the Method...BODWC - Bio-Organic DWC...
At the same time...what happens if I lay it all out and a number of ppl fail...Is that my fault?....
So I know what your after....and its cost me much more then $$ my bradda....Ive lost my mind a few time as well.....So no, its not free for me...
but how ppl approach me and why they want this information needs meaning...Like if your a MED Lic holder and have real serious issues...
Im here for you and will do more then the avr to try my best to help...
Far as "to new" of folks, ppl still learning, croppers, breeders, pollen chuckers....naaa....they can figure it out for themselves...
Were talking advanced tech based on solid methods...Now this is not what ppl in warehouses are doing...They use NPK as most but its concentrate or synthetic...
Were not talking soil but we are talking Organics...
And to be blunt None of this Matters Unless you have Full Understanding of the Variety or Varieties your going to use in this type of system...
Cause Variety Dictates All my bradda....And thats why my main posts are about Varieties....Not methods...
Far as direct consult fees and all when I do get employed as a short term Master Grower...its not cheap....
But Im not here for that....Even tho its always a option...
Im only here cause I happen to talk to Logic again on IG.....and I already had been here before....personally my last 5-6yrs have been extremely hard and at my age this shit is gettin old...
This is allot deeper for me then it may appear,....and We do it the way it always used to be done....Be Kind, Honest, Respectful and Pay it Forward...
Our work and genetics are avail to some for free....Far as my own IP.....thats a diff story and hell no its not free but Im not promoting that here either...
Just for perspective fellaz...Im here in Colorado helping a old friend thats slowly dying....While Im runing his crop, my crop and trying to help others as well...So I feel no need to explain myself..
So hows you day lookin?.....
FOE20
Days looking good 68 years old today.

I wish your friend comfort

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
Days looking good 68 years old today.

I wish your friend comfort
right on man...HBDay bradda....hope ya took my post openly..Not trying to bum ppl out or impose on folks and just giving a bit of perspective.....I am always sharing...and have for decades on many sites..
My guy here is 67 goin on 90, ex biker broken back 5x neck 4x....its been a tough season so far...power to it
FOE20

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

No shrimp in aquaponics they are to sensitive to nitrogen etc.

Tilapia work well.

The bacteria that consume nitrates are anaerobic not exactly what we want. The nitrogen conversion is done by several different bacteria and you can grow your own colony without anything else but water and ammonia as they will occur natural and then you adjust the bioload and surface area they can attach to. It goes ammonia to nitrite then nitrite to nitrates thise are both aerobic and then nitrogen consuming are anaerobic. What you are looking for is an algae scrubber... I have made a few and sized properly I can keep my nitrates under 10ppm and most of the tie almost 0. You want a certain type of algae that's fast growing. I found green hair algae to be the best. I ca walk ya through how to make one if you like
So I wasn't for sure what to do with my building. I now plan on moving into the basement and renting my house.

This would leave me with approx 3500 sqft of floor space upstairs with 25ft at peak vaulted ceilings lol.. I should grow weed, but I can't legally and my current grows are legal. Long story short, I will have to build a biofloc shrimp farm upstairs. I might add another level if I can keep it short enough.

So this plan will take a few years. Once I draw up the floor plans, and my purchase list for equipment, feed and all thst shit.. I will have to hit you up. You better be around for a few years lol.. I just know it will work perfect with your help so I'd be dumb not to. The startup cost isn't that much compared to most businesses and I live in the mid west, no access to fresh not frozen shrimp except for farms like what I want.

Top Bottom