1st go with the CoCo... Need Advice

• Thread starter edub30
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

edub30

After doing my first 2 grows with Aero and NFT, I've decided to go low tech with a coco grow. I'm tired having to deal with timers, pumps, perfect reservoir temps, etc. I've done my research and I love all the characteristics of CoCo.

Just wanted advice from the pros out there on what kind of mix you guys recommend for watering every other day? Also what brand of CoCo you guys recommend that is already pre-flushed? I don't know how to post a poll but here are the mixes, I'm thinking of going with.

- 100% Coco
- 50 Coco / 50 Chunky Perlite
- 60 Coco / 40 Chunky Perlite
- 50 Coco / 50 Coco croutons or chips
- 60 Coco / 40 Coco croutons or chips
- 50 Coco / 50 Chunky Perlite w/ 2" hydroton bottom
- 60 Coco / 40 Chunky Perlite w/ 2" hydroton bottom

If you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I just don't know how much water retention Coco has. Also another question is your opinions on regular drain to waste vs. Hempy buckets.
I'm leaning towards Drain to waste but if you have had good success with Hempy buckets, I would love to hear from you guys as well. Thanks for every ones help.

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Coco is the best way to grow, Ive grown in nft,oxy pots,soil and i found coco to be the easiest way to grow fine cannabis. The other good thing about growing in coco is you only use nutrients coco A & B through out grow unlike soil, you have to use canna vega and then flores. Coco does not hold water like soil and does tend to dry up faster but a good hand water every day or if you run them on drippers should keep the coco moist.

hit me up on pm if you need any help m8

R

robbiedublu

I use the complete line of canna products including their coco. No pre flushing required and I can water every other day . I imagine that would be somewhat dependent on your container vs. plant size and temps though.

E

easypleasie

You're gonna love coco. Whatever brand you end up with, I recommend flushing the shit out of it before use. Best to be on the safe side.

S

saltr

rocking coco in smartpots with hydroton bottom and topping. perhaps a higher yield in hydro, but coco's quality is unbeatable. i was thinking of switching to drip, but like the idea of the medium and roots going through dry periods.

E

edub30

Thanks for the reply guys,
Hey robbiedublu, I was reading on canna products, looks like some good stuff. So I'm assuming that most you guys are rocking 100% Coco. I'm going to pick some up today and do side by side comparisons to find out which mix of Coco works for me. I'll be sure to start a thread on my results. I'm also going to do a test between hand feed vs. those automatic blumat drippers. Anybody on here have any experience with them feel free to drop a line.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I like 20-33% perilite/coco If you get close to 50/50 you will need to water every day depending on pot and plant size. I always used canna coco and ferts with great results. But Im going to use readygro, CNS 17, HG root excelurator, hygrozyme, pk13/14, canna boost. Trying to it mix up and try something new.

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Coco is great. I'd say about 70 / 30 coco / perlite mix. You dont need too much perlite or it will drain too quickly. On the other hand, too little will have to coco holding moisture for a bit too long. The thing I love about coco is that it's so easy to monitor nutrients and I also find that I get hardly any bugs at all.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Coco is great. I will never switch. Make sure if use bricks to wash with nutrient water, I have found that it helps a lot!

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
First time using coco for me, after 2 weeks of veg - plants look bigger, greener and smellier compared to my soil grows.. hope i get massive Psychosis and Star dawg buds... im hoping anyway...

Peace all
G81

E

edub30

Thanks for the info guys. Just picked up some SFV BX2 and Cataract Kush clones last week and put them into coco. I transplanted into pots, some with hydroton at the bottom and with out any hydroton at the bottom. And the ones with Hydroton on the bottom are looking a lot better than the ones with full Coco. Must mean more air for the plants. I'm going to veg them for 1 month so I will keep you updated. I wanted to add perlite to the mix but I was told that I would have to water a lot more frequently.

mikeross

mikeross

I am gonna run coco for the first time in the form of 8" coco pots. glad to see there is a dedicated forum here.

how tall do your plants get after 1 month

berryhill

berryhill

Hey peeps, if you are interested in using coco coir as your primary media, and the coir you choose requires amending for drainage/aeration....do you think its possible that you are not choosing the right coco coir?

mikeross, if you are intending to use 8" pots, (3gal) with coco coir as your media, you are lookin at 'tree growing', large plants.

To ask 'How much they will grow in a month', is determined if you're speakin in Veg cycle, or Flowerin cycle.

However, note this bro, properly grown plants in coir will give you alot of stretch either way compared to soil.

Don't overgrow your chosen light sources ability to effectively build mature buds.

R

r1mob

no difference

Thanks for the reply guys,
Hey robbiedublu, I was reading on canna products, looks like some good stuff. So I'm assuming that most you guys are rocking 100% Coco. I'm going to pick some up today and do side by side comparisons to find out which mix of Coco works for me. I'll be sure to start a thread on my results. I'm also going to do a test between hand feed vs. those automatic blumat drippers. Anybody on here have any experience with them feel free to drop a line.

on my ongoing grow i mixed the coco with clay pebbles but i ran out of clay pebbles on the last wilma 8 pot so i just filled it with coco, the weeks later no noticable difference,

S

saltr

hey e dub where did you find sfv clones nor cal?

Where can't you find the super duper 'SFV OG' in cali? Jk, I got my clone from Progressive Options (818.899.4540) down in LA, they're great guys.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I am doing my first Coco grow. Went with Roots Organics premix to take the headache out of mixing stuff up. It wasn't super pricey and I can't complain about it at all. Good water retention and it flushes really smooth.

Top Bottom