1st grow ever, using NL Autos, 4 bigger plants or 16 smaller ones?

• Thread starter Toscano
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toscano

Toscano

Hi everyone.
Got all the tent gear, fans, exhausts, fertilisers, controllers, LED system, tools, the whole shebang.
It's a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.5m tent (around 4 x 4 x 8 feet).

I'll be growing Northern Lights Autos, as I've been offered 6 seeds when I purchased all this stuff.

Picture here:

Northern lights autoflowering xl

It's my first grow ever (cannabis, at least), and the question is:

1. Should I go for 4 to 5 bigger plants, say, in 4 or 5 gallons (16l) pots, then just basically LST'ing them until they flower?

2. Or would I be better off going for 16 plants growing in smaller 1.5 gallons (5.5l) pots for a SOG effect?

I was thinking of using a SCROG net on 4 or 5 plants, but now I'm afraid that the way this strain grows (thick and bushy, as you can see in the picture) is probably going to make that difficult.

Hence the idea of going SOG and investing in a few more seeds to get the same yield at the end.

IN OTHER WORDS, how would you train this auto plant?

Thanks.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I personally wouldn’t recommend any training or stress techniques on autos. Autoflowers stress VERY easily and will decrease yield.

You also can’t clone autos, so if you have 6 seeds, you have 6 plants. Autos will automatically switch to flower based on sexual maturity, not when you switch your lights.

Hope this helps, and I’m not a professional with autos, so I’m sure someone can point out any inaccuracies.

Toscano

Toscano

I personally wouldn’t recommend any training or stress techniques on autos. Autoflowers stress VERY easily and will decrease yield.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about...
Hence the idea of growing lots of plants instead of just a few. That way I don't have to train: just feed them and let them grow (less, as they would be planted in smaller pots).

You also can’t clone autos, so if you have 6 seeds, you have 6 plants. Autos will automatically switch to flower based on sexual maturity, not when you switch your lights.

I'm aware of that. Thanks.
I can always buy more seeds, only plan on growing at the end of the month.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I dont like autos inside, i only really grow them outside unless i get a wild hair. But i would say just run like 10 or 12 in 2 gallon nursery pots and let them do their thing. Should be able to get a minimum of a pound if done right as ive pulled 12.4 ounces off 1 auto in a 3 gallon pot.
Happy growin!

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Yeah, that's what I was worried about...
Hence the idea of growing lots of plants instead of just a few. That way I don't have to train: just feed them and let them grow (less, as they would be planted in smaller pots).

I'm aware of that. Thanks.
I can always buy more seeds, only plan on growing at the end of the month.
Oh sorry bro, I misunderstood your post. I thought you had 6 seeds and 6 seeds only and were trying to get more plants out of those seeds. :)

Top Bottom