1st grow. May be too cold???

• Thread starter PLantAsEED
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Hello all,

1st grow. In a legal state. 3x3 tent. (4) qb132 w/ 240w driver. Started Germinating 4 days ago in a jiffy pellet humidity dome, 6 random bag seeds and 4 regular Cinderella 99 seeds I picked up. I assume that I will have some that dont germinate and some that are male, so I am hoping for 3-4 to flower. So far 3 random seeds sprouted and I moved them to solo cups. With fox farms ocean forest. The rest of the seeds are still in the dome and 3 Cindy99 are starting to sprout.

I had them in a closet before moving to my basement which has a cooler ambient temp of around 74-79°F. However I took one jiffy pellet that I assumed was a loss and broke it open. The material felt very cool to the touch....we shall see if they survive.

1st grow  may be too cold
1st grow  may be too cold 2
1st grow  may be too cold 3
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello all,

1st grow. In a legal state. 3x3 tent. (4) qb132 w/ 240w driver. Started Germinating 4 days ago in a jiffy pellet humidity dome, 6 random bag seeds and 4 regular Cinderella 99 seeds I picked up. I assume that I will have some that dont germinate and some that are male, so I am hoping for 3-4 to flower. So far 3 random seeds sprouted and I moved them to solo cups. With fox farms ocean forest. The rest of the seeds are still in the dome and 3 Cindy99 are starting to sprout.

I had them in a closet before moving to my basement which has a cooler ambient temp of around 74-79°F. However I took one jiffy pellet that I assumed was a loss and broke it open. The material felt very cool to the touch....we shall see if they survive.
They will be fine

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

My plants appear to be turning line green and have their main stem seems yellowish white. I am growing with fox farms ocean forest and distilled water. 2 weeks from seed. Unsure about nutrients bc there is some on the soil. Was thinking about top dressing with dolomite lime. Thoughts?

Also theres one plant that only has one leaf in the second set, ever see this?

20191130 141322
20191130 141338
20191130 141328
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They look perfectly fine to me... You don't want deep green leaves. Nice healthy vibrant green is what you want. Depending on strain this varies a bit but those look quite fine to me.

I would do nothing. Why RO water though?

Last edited:
PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

They look perfectly fine to me... You don't want deep green leaves. Nice healthy vibrant green is what you want. Depending on strain this varies a bit but those look quite fine to me.

I would do nothing. Why RO water though?
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what water I should be using, tap water? I assumed that the minerals from the well and chemicals from the water softener would produce negative results?

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what water I should be using, tap water? I assumed that the minerals from the well and chemicals from the water softener would produce negative results?

You definitely don't want to use "softened" water.

Instead of using dolomite lime as a top dressing, it would probably be better to use it in your water. I have used it this way. If you don't already have a PPM meter you should buy one. They are inexpensive. The lime isn't exactly soluble but it is somewhat and if you can keep a jug of lime-water bubbling with an airstone*, you can add some to your RO water and bring the minerals (cal-mag) back. * I have learned that this mixture CAN go rancid without an airstone-doesn't always but it can.

One other thing, you can use some bottled "spring"water during the seedling stage. Some of our local brands look to be pretty good here. The PPM meter shows about 35 and they have the analysis online.

..and of course there is also Cal-Mag. lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I would just take your RO water and add 75-150ppm of cal mag then add nutes and no need to ph when using RO there are no carbonate or bicarbonate and cal mag doesn't have much at that ppm. So you will have very little influence on ph of the soil. If the ph of soil is dropping then you are over feeding.

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Is natural spring water better than distilled?

Also, Should I be adding nutes? I know FFOF has a small amount already and some say to wait 30 days before feeding but what about if I am transplanting to a new pot size every month? 4" cup - 1 gal for veg/sexing - 3 gal flower.

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Is natural spring water better than distilled?

Also, Should I be adding nutes? I know FFOF has a small amount already and some say to wait 30 days before feeding but what about if I am transplanting to a new pot size every month? 4" cup - 1 gal for veg/sexing - 3 gal flower.

The answer is yes-maybe. Your plants need minerals and the distilled water has them all removed. If your soil has an ample supply then you would still be alright using the distilled but I don' think FFOF has that amount. If your natural spring water has a good balance of minerals (which makes it taste better too) then yes, it would definitely be a better choice. You could also add Cal-mag to your distilled or RO water as the main two minerals that cannabis use the most of are Calcium and Magnesium. If you already have the RO system, this might be a cheaper alternative to buying spring water. When your plants get bigger, they are going to use a lot more water.

As far as feeding them nutes, the plants will get a new supply from being up-potted but they are likely to spend more time in veg than the nutrients will last in the soil. They definitely will outlast the nutrients in flower. At some point if you are using bagged soil, you are going to have to add some nutes. .but not now. This is why heavily-amended super-soil has grown in popularity, to last throughout the cycles allowing the grower to go mostly water-only.

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Ready for transplant? Growth seemed to slow down a bit the last few days and I am wondering if I should switch them to a 1 gal pot while the soil is dry today?

20191208 122520
20191208 122505
PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

2 plants also have the cotyledon* leaves yellowing badly is that normal?

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Ready for transplant? Growth seemed to slow down a bit the last few days and I am wondering if I should switch them to a 1 gal pot while the soil is dry today?

I sort-of doubt they need an immediate transplant but it won't hurt either.
You want to transplant when the soil is nice and moist but not too wet (not falling apart). That way, the roots will be nice and pliable and less likely to damage. Then water it in afterwards.
Make sure they have plenty of drainage.
Yes, those leaves yellow and fall off.

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I also like to go ahead and snip the lowest set of leaves off after the transplant that touch the soil (mulch). My thinking here is to eliminate any necrosis that may occur from touching the soil that could spread to the rest of the plant. I'm not sure if that's a real concern but I have read about it so, I do it. I like to also combine all the plant-stressing actions to happen around the same time so they can recover at the same time. Sometimes, If I don't want to snip a whole leaf off, I'll just cut that leaf-tip in half so it is not touching the soil.

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

I sort-of doubt they need an immediate transplant but it won't hurt either.
You want to transplant when the soil is nice and moist but not too wet (not falling apart). That way, the roots will be nice and pliable and less likely to damage. Then water it in afterwards.
Make sure they have plenty of drainage.
Yes, those leaves yellow and fall off.
Thanks for the input. I will either wait a bit to transplant or get the solid slightly moist a few hours before transplant tonight because the soil is rather dry at the moment.

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Recently switched to spring water before issues started. Tested the water today at over 8.0ph. So I transplanted into 1gal pots. Ph down the water to between 5.0 and 6.0 then watered till runoff. Hopefully this helps balance things out and growth explodes.

20191208 194850
PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

I have the lights about 3' above the plants and a lux meter on my phone says around 20k lux. Is this where I want to be?

Madbud

Madbud

Since water is always going to be an issue i would test your well water on one or two plants. You probably have a softener to remove calcium otherwise the well is fine. Most softeners are installed past the outdoor spigot and have a bypass to run untreated water while servicing the unit.

Top Bottom