1st Grow New Custom Room - Looking And Listening

• Thread starter dcgolfer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dcgolfer

dcgolfer

Seems to be moving along well. Pinned back one more time, cut off shading leaves and now going to leave them alone for about a week to see if they will show some sex. Nice new growth.
44 days Pics
36 days for #3
2 9 2
2 9 3
2 9 4
2 9 5
2 9 6
2 9 7
2 9 8

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

After adding fluorescent lights for some cuttings, raised temp 10-15 degrees to 84-88 steady and HR spiked 65-70HR. Found this airtitan fan with programmable temp/hr ($70) installed last night took little tweaking between the humidifier and fan controller but after an hour it balanced and conditions have not changed since last night, steady 73 degrees and 54HR, the water level in humidifier has really not changed either. I think we have reached a state of zen! View attachment 855821 View attachment 855822 View attachment 855823

These before/after pics were in an earlier thread, just in case anyone wanted to see how this all began...
BEFORE
AFTER 2

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

Hi All,
56 days from sprout 48 days for #3. Flipped 5 days ago, I was waiting to see if there were any autos in there but I got impatient and flipped this weekend. No signs of balls, a few little things that fooled me for pistils but I think it is more veg points. I clipped this leaf that was shading pretty good and looks mutant once I got a better look at it. All seems to be moving along ok. Am I missing anything?
2 20 1
2 20 2
2 20 3
2 20 4
2 20 5
2 20 6
2 20 7
20190216 001807

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
This failed! I think it was the setup, to begin with. Medicated heavily and thought I was a genius, lol. Still waiting to see some signs of little white hairs on these ladies.
As long as it is in vegging mode, you can take a cutting or small branch and put it under 12/12. It will start to flower, revealing it's sex. I think it's necessary to root them a little 1st, but it could be done at the same time as the switch to 12/12. Cuttings or clones are usually harder to root once flowering, especially Sativas.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
As long as it is in vegging mode, you can take a cutting or small branch and put it under 12/12. It will start to flower, revealing it's sex. I think it's necessary to root them a little 1st, but it could be done at the same time as the switch to 12/12. Cuttings or clones are usually harder to root once flowering, especially Sativas.

There is an interesting phenomenon that happens if you successfully take a clone from a plant that is 10-12 days into flower. If you root it under 18hrs it will grow into an absolute monster of a plant with insane branching. It's called monster cropping, Its how I do.

As for sexing via cuttings, it's fine to place the fresh cutting under 12/12 but I think where he went wrong was a lack of a humidity dome and he cut them way too small. I do it by taking a regular sized cutting with 3-5 nodes, and just put them in a cup of water for 24 hrs then Into individual peat pucks in a humidity dome like usual, except under 12/12. They should show sex by the time they have roots, or shortly after.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This is a monster cropped plant with 5 weeks veg (3wks under T5HO, 2 under 1000w MH), and one week into flower. And yes.. it got a bit of a haircut not long after thic pic was snapped.
;)

20190213 185359

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
There is an interesting phenomenon that happens if you successfully take a clone from a plant that is 10-12 days into flower.

Re-vegging is a great way to get very bushy plants, since you get new growth points everywhere that you had pistils. It sort of explodes with new growth at every junction! I remember an old Jamaican Sativa plant I had growing outdoors. It was nearly November and it already lived thru a couple frosts. The plant was a Jamaican Sativa and a late bloomer, so there were buds on the plant but nothing big, and it was kind of tall and lanky with 1 main stem.
When it re-vegged under 18/6 (which took forever to revert to vegging), it turned into a big bushy plant on a somewhat spindly stem. It reminded me of a Flamingo...a big bird with tiny, spindly legs.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Re-vegging is a great way to get very bushy plants, since you get new growth points everywhere that you had pistils. It sort of explodes with new growth at every junction! I remember an old Jamaican Sativa plant I had growing outdoors. It was nearly November and it already lived thru a couple frosts. The plant was a Jamaican Sativa and a late bloomer, so there were buds on the plant but nothing big, and it was kind of tall and lanky with 1 main stem.
When it re-vegged under 18/6 (which took forever to revert to vegging), it turned into a big bushy plant on a somewhat spindly stem. It reminded me of a Flamingo...a big bird with tiny, spindly legs.

Lol that sound hilarious looking. I've never re-vegged something that already had flowers forming.. When I do it I dont let the plants actually show flowers before I take the cuttings, I usually cut them a couple days before ideally. But they are full of flowering hormones. What I get is plants with no apical dominance. Every auxiliary branch grows out right off the bat. It makes pruning a lot more involved but man do they ever grow into a Bush.
And I dont have to keep moms.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Every auxiliary branch grows out right off the bat. It makes pruning a lot more involved but man do they ever grow into a Bush..
Cloning is easiest during veg growth...in my experience, they can be a bitch to root or clone when flowering. My buddy who does the cloning usually clones them using something offbeat, like 14/10 or 16/8 sun/dark. The result is usually a clone that is somewhat confused as it is sorta stuck between growing and flowering, throwing a bunch of 3 lobed leaves and pistils. When I plant them under 18/6, they explode in new growth as they swing into full veg mode...but they are very different than the parent plant because of the bushiness. FWIW, you can re-veg full plants if you try hard enough, you just have to leave a little more leaf and branches on the parent plant than normal, and maybe don't let it finish to the point of plant exhaustion. Its a great idea if you are thinking about moving a grow outdoors..the time of year is right for veg growth and the photoperiod works out great...and you don't have to grow an entire new plant. It will grow like a mutant and flower like normal...but your yield will be great!!

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

The bigger bushy one is a re-vegged Sativa and this one was a clipping from her. Here is round two, I took some from all, I just hope to time everything right. Those pics were right after a haircut, so bushy I feel like I am murdering them each time. Again, my first real grow so let me know if I can do anything better next time. Should I be feeding the clippings anything but water? treat like seedlings? Not sure, they look ok...
2 9

20190222 124400

Thanks in advance...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The bigger bushy one is a re-vegged Sativa and this one was a clipping from her. Here is round two, I took some from all, I just hope to time everything right. Those pics were right after a haircut, so bushy I feel like I am murdering them each time. Again, my first real grow so let me know if I can do anything better next time. Should I be feeding the clippings anything but water? treat like seedlings? Not sure, they look ok...
View attachment 857958
View attachment 857964
Thanks in advance...

Do those cuttings have roots already? They look awfully small. And they should have a humidity done on them at that size, relative humidity should be 80%+ for rooting, or freshly routed cuttings.

Ideally clones should be 4-6" long and have at least 3 nodes, but 5-6 is better.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
For comparison here is what my rooted clones look like when I plant them in small pots. And I consider these on the small side..

20190216 161009

I dont plant them into their little pots until I see roots coming out of the peat pucks, like this;

20190213 163153

jamesicb

jamesicb

Can I Grow Marijuana in a house if I don't have a medical marijuana card?

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

Do those cuttings have roots already? They look awfully small. And they should have a humidity done on them at that size, relative humidity should be 80%+ for rooting, or freshly routed cuttings.

Ideally clones should be 4-6" long and have at least 3 nodes, but 5-6 is better.

Awesome info, thank you! no some have little roots and a couple I rooted in water bottles (1 inch or so). I have a dome over them but RH is an issue since I do not have a designated area, yet. They are small i took little ones 2 nodes, mostly ones that were in the way. Once I have space done this weekend I am going to get some better cuttings picked out. I bought a full spec led bulb today but is there something better for light? (blue?) I need to keep them on the 18/6 right? I am in the process of making a small room for seedings tomorrow, last min idea. thanks again...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Awesome info, thank you! no some have little roots and a couple I rooted in water bottles (1 inch or so). I have a dome over them but RH is an issue since I do not have a designated area, yet. They are small i took little ones 2 nodes, mostly ones that were in the way. Once I have space done this weekend I am going to get some better cuttings picked out. I bought a full spec led bulb today but is there something better for light? (blue?) I need to keep them on the 18/6 right? I am in the process of making a small room for seedings tomorrow, last min idea. thanks again...

For your first foray into growing, a full spectrum bulb will work good for you, although make sure you have enough light. You didn't specify the size of your grow area or size of the bulb, but things seem to be doing OK.
Why did you cut off half of the leaves? Rooted cutting are fine as long as they have decent roots on them, although I usually prefer my cuttings to be a little larger. After the cuttings are rooted and established, treat them like seedlings until they grow another set of leaves or so. After that, they are the same as any other plants, so feed and water like normal. The re-vegged plant might look pretty strange, but it is all good.

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

For your first foray into growing, a full spectrum bulb will work good for you, although make sure you have enough light. You didn't specify the size of your grow area or size of the bulb, but things seem to be doing OK.
Why did you cut off half of the leaves? Rooted cutting are fine as long as they have decent roots on them, although I usually prefer my cuttings to be a little larger. After the cuttings are rooted and established, treat them like seedlings until they grow another set of leaves or so. After that, they are the same as any other plants, so feed and water like normal. The re-vegged plant might look pretty strange, but it is all good.

I saw/read something about cutting them to focus growth on roots. So my main room is 3x4x6 w/ 2000W LED. I was not able to build out another space for seedlings, so I came up with this under closed counter space getup. Just a 100W bulb. HR has been over 80 steady. Sides are vented for fresh air. I am going to go in tomorrow when lights come on and take better cuttings, picked up some peat pucks too. Thanks again, Thoughts? ...
20190224 175135
20190224 191703

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I saw/read something about cutting them to focus growth on roots. So my main room is 3x4x6 w/ 2000W LED. I was not able to build out another space for seedlings, so I came up with this under closed counter space getup. Just a 100W bulb. HR has been over 80 steady. Sides are vented for fresh air. I am going to go in tomorrow when lights come on and take better cuttings, picked up some peat pucks too. Thanks again, Thoughts? ... View attachment 858350 View attachment 858353
There are a LOT of Urban Legends around when it comes to growing, with some having a kernel of truth while others are pure bullshit. When I either sprout a plant or grow a cutting, I leave it alone for about a week. The roots will grow like crazy on their own and don't really grow any better roots by cutting all of the leaves off. I don't use LED lighting for the most part...is that 2000w at the wall or 2000w equivalent? If using an HID, I would probably go with a 600w bulb...it's hard to compare them because there is no fixed conversion for them...1 mans 2000 watt system is another guys 4000 (or 1000) since they are hard to compare apples to apples. With your limited space, you will want to focus on training the plants to stay low and stretch the branches out horizontally as much as possible. I've never tried SOG or SCROG growing methods, but people have had a lot of success with this process.
There are some very experienced growers here...some do it for personal pleasure and a stash, while others try to grow and sell as much as possible. Keep reading and you will begin to see some of the same names that seem to know what they are doing. Keep in mind that it's a plant and give it what it needs, but don't force feed it or try anything unusual until you get all of the small kinks worked out of your system. Once you get used to them, what they like and what they don't like then you can go wild and do all kinds of stuff...but keep it basic at first. Things are looking good...I like the "Nursury"!

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I saw/read something about cutting them to focus growth on roots. So my main room is 3x4x6 w/ 2000W LED. I was not able to build out another space for seedlings, so I came up with this under closed counter space getup. Just a 100W bulb. HR has been over 80 steady. Sides are vented for fresh air. I am going to go in tomorrow when lights come on and take better cuttings, picked up some peat pucks too. Thanks again, Thoughts? ... View attachment 858350 View attachment 858353
People cut the leaves so that total transpiration is reduced, so the cutting doesn't wilt and die before it roots. Its not necessary if you have moderate temps and light, and a humidity cover, like you show. Lots of guys just just a regular sandwich bag.

Top Bottom