1st grow...pretty sure this is the start of something bad (pics included)...

• Thread starter mpjm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mpjm

Hey all.

This is my trial run of 3 plants before my room is done and I go for my 15 alotted for a medical grow.

I'm using Sunshine mix #4 Organicare Pure food. and General Organics nurtient line. These plants were transplanted on August 1st and have been under a 125w cfl on a 18/6 schedule.

I'm thinking this is either nutrient burn or light burn, but since the leaves started to turn this morning I got worried and figured I better find out.

Thanks all, I'm a nervous first timer. lol

1st growpretty sure this is the start of something bad pics included
1st growpretty sure this is the start of something bad pics included 2
1st growpretty sure this is the start of something bad pics included 3
1st growpretty sure this is the start of something bad pics included 4
1st growpretty sure this is the start of something bad pics included 5
1st growpretty sure this is the start of something bad pics included 6
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Neither, in my opinion. Definitely not a light burn, definitely not a nutrient burn.

At worst, pH may be slightly off, but don't hold me to that. This'll bump you for the more advanced growers to take a gander for sure, though.

They're looking pretty good, to tell the truth.

Dorje

Dorje

Looks like a touch of pillowing and curling edges... possibly a minor issue that can be corrected.

What is your watering schedule? Are you letting the soil dry out before watering? What containers are you using, and when you water do you water until runoff?

Also, you can get a N-P-K and pH tester for your soil for about $20, most garden supply stores carry them. Rapidtest and Security are 2 brands I've seen. You should make sure your pH and nute levels are ok... the test is ballpark, but good enough to have an idea what's going on.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I agree everything seems pretty good. Pretty low watt light if you are planning to finish it under the same. It could be a slight ph problem like Seamaiden said. I have a strain or 2 that show upward leaf curl, but only during veg. growth, so who knows. As long as it doesn't turn yellow or brown your usually ok. Your soil also doesn't seem too hot (not bad, just w/out lots of organic additives) Its what i use and you dont really have to wait to start feeding the plants. Some soils are loaded w/ guano ect. that will burn your plants if too many nutes are added w/ it. Yours are old enough that shouldn't be an issue any more. How much Calcium and Mag. do you use. Mag. def. will start in the middle to top of plant and show a bit of a curl at first, but the easy way to tell is if they get necrosis (like a slight burnt or drying look in the inside portions of the leaves) or what they call necrosis between the margins. If you dont have a cal/mag supplement you may need one. Check your nutes. If not try Cal Mag it is in the 2:1 ratio already and is what most people use if they dont mix their own or use organics.
Biggest piece of advice to a newbie is to not fuck w/ your girls too much. Pay attention to them but let em do their thing. Dont add too many things at first. stay simple then add one thing max per grow or you wont know what is helping or hurting things.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
to me it looks like your temps may be a bit higher then they should. these are from seed or clone? seedlings will get twisted leaves easier then clones. soemthing as easy as a fan blowing on them could do it. but as it grows it will grow out of it. other then that them things look perfect bro no purple stems and nice dark leaves. be porud of your 1st grow man you are rocking it.

M

mpjm

Not planning on flowering them under that light (have 2 600w HPS for that, and when the plants move they will be under a 400w MH for veg, the cfl is just for clones)

these are in my closet right now (we just had a heat wave up in the 90's so that's possibly the temp issues kid twist???) and will be until my room I'm building in the garage is done (hopefully only one more week)

@ScuzyRoach yes I have the calmag, I did just buy it 9 days ago though and added it into the mix at that time.

these are from clones taken roughly on 7/16 from a friends mother. thanks for all insight to this point everyone!

M

mpjm

Looks like a touch of pillowing and curling edges... possibly a minor issue that can be corrected.

What is your watering schedule? Are you letting the soil dry out before watering? What containers are you using, and when you water do you water until runoff?

Also, you can get a N-P-K and pH tester for your soil for about $20, most garden supply stores carry them. Rapidtest and Security are 2 brands I've seen. You should make sure your pH and nute levels are ok... the test is ballpark, but good enough to have an idea what's going on.

All three plants are in 5 gallon plastic type pots. I generally water every other day, unless i notice the top inch or so of soil is dry then I'll water everyday. When i water I am watering until i see back up on the top soil, there is occssionally some runoff but generally not a lot if any.

O

Oregonic

I run GO also, noticed a similar issue during veg on some plants about 4 weeks old, adjusted my PH meter and it went away. Might not be the same issue but many variables are the same. What all are u rusing? I am just running the veg/bloom bioroot and calmag, gonna add black diamond next go round and thinking of brewing it the day before..... anyone ever done this with GO??

T

TwoCreeks

I was expecting to see something awful.......
Looks like the start of something good to me!

M

mpjm

I was expecting to see something awful.......
Looks like the start of something good to me!

lol...like I said I'm a paranoid newb...

and @ oreganic, I'm using everything except for the food (using Organicare pure) added black diamond and Calmag about 9 days ago though, had the other 3 going since I transplanted on the 1st...

B

Blaze1

looks healthy to me. Maybe a slight ph problem or possibly the heat. Adjust accordingly and just watch

M

mpjm

I'm going to start a feeding program tomorrow. I have General Organics line and I'm going to follow it for now. The room should be done this weekend and I can move them and let them flourish!

One question to everyone: at this point, roughly 1-2 weeks away from flowering, should I be feeding daily? or is every other still acceptable? (I tried to find it on the GO sight but either am an idiot or didn't search enough)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Depends on if they even want watering daily. It's sometimes difficult for me to describe because much of how I do "this" is by feel. Does the Sunshine mix dry out daily? I've not used it, but coco, yes, I feed every watering pretty much.

Loran

Loran

I usually see this in Indica dominate crosses that get too much phosphorus too quickly. Give her a good flushing then come back with the nutes starting w/ a diluted batch. Peace, Loran

M

mpjm

Depends on if they even want watering daily. It's sometimes difficult for me to describe because much of how I do "this" is by feel. Does the Sunshine mix dry out daily? I've not used it, but coco, yes, I feed every watering pretty much.

No. I generally only water every other day...soil is generally moist 2" below soil day after watering...

R

ReadySetGrowD9

i agree with Kid Twist on this one i had some of my plants do the same thing and it was bc the temp was getting in the 90s....... the girls look great though i hope your gunna put up a grow log about them :).....

Happy Growing

O

Octopus Sun

perfect. the edge curling is normal from a bit to much heat.

D

dxco

I'll agree with two creeks on this one -I expected to see come nast burned or yallow/dying leaves. Looks like the start of something good to me too.
You might be watering a bit too often thought -If you want to establish a vast root system in a soil mix it's best to make the roots go "looking" for water & getting some oxygen. Then when you put them under some HID light, they will be able to get the water and nutrients that they need. Five gallon buckets -you shouldn't have to water them every day.
Looks liek you take nice care of your plant there but sometimes a little less is better. Good luck to you!
DXCO

T

Trim Reaper

I agree, looks real good. Sunshine has some lime in it but it wears off after a bit and you can see some ph fluctuations. The things I would do is cut back on how often yo water, looks like they could have "wet feet". Noob's love to water, lol. What you need to do is pick up your pot after you have watered enough to achieve slight run off. Lock that weight in your head. Let them ALMOST dry out and pick that pot up, lock that in your brain. It takes a little experience, but after a while you can just look and or pick up and know if they need to be watered. My guess is plants those size in 5 gal pots w min. lighting only need to fed every 4-5 days.
Last thing, check the ph of your RUNOFF. This will tell you if your getting ph changes in your medium. Alway run your ph at 6-6.2 in Sunshine.
:pimp:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I usually see this in Indica dominate crosses that get too much phosphorus too quickly. Give her a good flushing then come back with the nutes starting w/ a diluted batch. Peace, Loran
I'm taking notes! Folks, don't let these super little tidbits fly past you.

Top Bottom