1st Scrog

• Thread starter Trinity_Dank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trinity_Dank

Hey, I'm just startin my second closet grow and I'm tryin a scrog set-up. I have a 250W hps (pics on the way) and have my lady in a 50gallon pot, she's about a month into vegg. I'm using 20-20-20 nutrient mix for now and water daily. How often should I use the nutes in the water? It recommends 6ml per 5l of water every 2 weeks. I would prefer a lower dosage, more often. Any suggestions for ratios for nutes:water? or any other cheap alternatives?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
howdy and welcome to the farm!

I have to ask how big is your plant - what medium are you using?

seems like you should not be watering a 50 gal pot in a closet under a 250 watt hps daily

how much water do you give daily?

T

Trinity_Dank

She's about 16 inchs probably stretched out but i pinched it about 10 inchs up and its starting to crawl along the fence. Im using shultz .08-.12-.08 potting soil and give her about 4-5 cups (1L) of water per day .

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
OK next time you should veg her out a bit more before you put her in a such a large pot

in fact that pot is way too big for a single indoor plant - even if you had it under a 1000 watt light

sounds like your already using a "cheap alternative" nutrient to me really

not familiar with your soil - how hot it is or how well it drains - but ideally you want to water way less frequently

T

Trinity_Dank

Thanks for the tip about keepin 'er in veg longer. My initial plan was to have 2 plants in each pot, but germing and sexing didnt go my way.
My nutrient question was more directed towards well-known brands that are effective for mj. Any suggestions?

I

ibTheMan

50 gallon pot? thats way to big for any thing under a 250w, you need a 5 gallon pot max, that way it wont stay wet to long, plus you use alot less soil and ferts and youll get more yield.

T

Trinity_Dank

suggestions

hey think i have a ca mag deficiency, adding pic . any suggestions?
HPIM1234.JPG

audius

audius

idk about the def but i will say i think ya need a bigger screen. how big are the holes? when i make my screen i like to have about 3 inch holes in the screen.

T

theTinker

50Gal pot indoors! wow. I don know if ive seen that before.

No way should u be watering soil like that every day. I'd back off on that ALOT. Water it when it begins to become not moist. After the water is used, the drier soil lets more oxygen to the roots. Its very required so wet is not good all the time.

I dont know the soil or nutes ur using. but for 50Gal worth of soil that already contains nutes. I'd be letting the plant use up all the pre mixed nutes before adding any more..

Perhaps by waiting for a small nitrogen def to start, or watching for red stems starting. I'd rather a small Def than a overfert. Red stems also happen from too wet soil for a Oxygen Def like issue near the roots. Happens alot for people with new clones as it takes too long for the soil to dry out.

I dont know about the Cal Mag def sorry. With 50Gal soil though..even a lil cal mag in that soil should well get the plant passed this point without a Def. Is ur PH definitely correct? Is the run off Ph ok?

Any bigger pics of the plant? (just for fun!)

T

Trinity_Dank

Need to upload pictures! :D I never expected her to do this well. She just took right off! Main stalk is probably about 2 inches around, and she's atleast 6 feet tall, touching both sides of a 4 foot wide closet.
She finishes in 5 weeks or so (give or take a few days until I think she's ready) Ended up with 2, 4" in-line fans and a 12" oscillating for ventilation. Runnin at about 85'C, a little warmer than I usually do but she seems to be loving it, so I don't wanna change anything. Once she started to get bigger, I chucked a couple CFL's in with a blue spectrum, and the leaves underneath them are beautifully dark green and healthy. The leaves under my HPS are yellowy, but don't seem diseased or deficient. I've read this is common with the HPS, but this being my first time growing with it I'm concerned. Comments?
I ended up finding a vegging nutrient I liked a WHOLE LOT more than the department store basic I picked up. Heard good things about the product, and it's from a tried'n'true company I like to buy equip. from...so yeah I decided to give 'er a try, it's called Dutch Nutrient Formula. I used both veg and bud.
Right now, I'm using DNF budding A&B with a fortifier once a week. The fortifier is a little difficult to dilute if you don't like to leave your nutrients mixed
The branches have become so heavy with bud that they're snapping themselves, and I had to string a few up.
I'm super unsure about the strain, and none of my friends with cultivation experience have an idea either. I'd love if anyone had any ideas once I post the pictures...will try to get to it tonight.

Musicianized

Musicianized

I really think he meant a 5g pot???? A 50 would be a major waste of soil lol, well not really I guess you could always turn it and reuse it..

I have to disagree with vegging it longer before transplanting. I know everyone has their opinions, but I have potted plants up to the next size containers and I have transplanted from a beer cup straight to the final pot and have ended up with great root systems both ways. I personally believe the less walls they hit and have to wrap around the faster they will branch out into a large healthy root system.

That's just my .02 though.

T

Trinity_Dank

I really think he meant a 5g pot???? A 50 would be a major waste of soil lol, well not really I guess you could always turn it and reuse it..

Nope :) definitely typed 50gal on purpose. I was curious as to how it would turn out as well, but shes got a great root system. I transplanted directly from the cups I sprouted in. I still can't get any pictures to upload...

T

Trinity_Dank

I uploaded pictures of the scrog to my profile :) Check it out.

G

Growing247

Honestly you only need big pots like that if you're growing outdoors. I use 3 or 5 gallon smart pots and get great results. I even used them outdoors this year too. I would have liked to have used 400 gallon smart pots but the 3 and 5 gallons did just fine. I grew some really killer AK-47 that turned red,yellow, and purple after a week of cold nights. Almost all my strains turned purple or orange and my grow buddy was amazed looking at all these purple tinged leaves and buds. Grew lemon diesel that's fuckin incredible, and Trainwreck that smells like garlic it is so dank. I SCRoG all my plants but I use the string screens. They are cheap and when you're done using them and its time to harvest you can just cut them off and take the plants away or what have you. Seriously though, if you use a screen with 6" holes it will make your buds so plump. That screen you're using right there is the wrong size. The branches need to be able to poke thru. The branches cannot poke thru with those tiny holes you got there. Also, for a 250 watt doing a lot of LST and vegging would probably get you more buds at the end than a SCRoG.

T

Trinity_Dank

The pictures are kinda in a reverse order but you get the point . Finished pics on the way !! Been done a lil while to busy to post .

Top Bottom