1st time bho mmaker

• Thread starter loolagigi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

loolagigi

hi guys. i am going to be making my forst batch of bho oil in a couple weeks. i have been doing a lot of reading on this site and others. youtube.....on and on.
i will be using about 1/4 lb of sugar leaf. what will my yield be like? i will be making my own bho butane tube extractor. do you recommend i make one batch at once? should i just make a longer tube and run it all at once? what would be a good size length? how many cans of butane per oz?
also once the butane evaporates i just slightly heat it on the stove and swirl it around to get any more butane bubbles out? is that all the purging i need to do?
i did read the tutorial in the oil section....any pointers would be great. Loola

B

Backward_Z

The tutorial pretty well covers it.

I guarantee you won't be able to swirl BHO around in the pyrex dish--it's far too thick. You can use a butane torch to pop the butane bubbles or just wait it out for several hours.

I recently did my first run of BHO with a purchased glass tube. I could jam about a oz of leaf trim into the tube and ran 1 can of 320ml Vector butane for each run. I didn't weigh my yield, but after about four runs I probably have in the neighborhood of 10 grams (that's a complete visual estimation).

Just be the fuck careful and don't blow yourself up.

B

Backward_Z

Oh and make sure you pack the tube *tightly*.

Like, load it up 1/4 of the way and pack it. Then again at 1/2 way, 3/4's of the way, etc. Make sure it's packed evenly the whole way and packed tightly. My first run I didn't pack it tight enough and this resulted in a pathetic yield. For the next run, I added maybe 1/4 again over as much material as my first run as yielded 3-4x as much oil.

L

loolagigi

thanks bwz.where did you aquire your glass tube? and can i do one run with lets say an oz, then clean and repack 3 more times into the first batch? or do i need 4 pyrex dishes?...or clean dish after each run...that sucks. lemme know

B

Backward_Z

I got mine at a headshop in Berkeley, CA called Big Al's but if you're buying on the internet, everybody'll point you to okief ().

I went with glass because I heard a horror story about a friend whose static-y sweater caused his tube to explode/rupture and spew flaming liquid butane all over his house (they weren't very smart about it in general--he was trying to put the fire out with the garden hose and not a fire extinguisher). Also, the glass probably doesn't get quite as cold as the metal tubes.

Each run should only take you like, a half hour's time to do. You don't need to clean the tube, but just emptying and repacking it, getting all of your other shit in line takes a little time and can be done while your oil is purging. Use the same dish every time unless you're running multiple strains and want to keep them separate, then you can either clean your starting dish between runs or use multiple dishes. Keep in mind also that you'll probably want to wait for your tube to thaw out a little before you jump right into un/re-packing it and doing subsequent runs.

After having made ice-water hash on several occasions, it was striking to me how quick and easy doing a BHO extract is. JUST BE SMART AND DON'T BLOW YOURSELF UP.

L

loolagigi

thank you.....anyway, i was looking into making my own extraction tube out of stainless, but then read that it can spark. so i was thinking glass. i dont know any glass blowers so i thought i could buy a piece of tubing and plug one end for the butane end to discharge.
here is what i found:

corning pyrex. 1" 25.4mm thick 48" long, or 1.5" 38.1mm thick 48" long.

let me know if this will work. thanks

B

Backward_Z

1-1.5" is about right, but make sure you're getting tubes with a small enough hole at the top that you can fit the butane nozzle into it and spray effectively.

With my glass tube, it just baaaarely works when I use a hard plastic adapter. In this regard, metal tubes are superior--you can get one with an actual butane nozzle.

48" is loooong. You'll have to pack a shitload of material in there and probably run multiple cans. I think my tube is like 1.5" wide and only about a foot long and it holds an ounce.

If all else fails, call these guys (http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-als-smoke-and-gifts-berkeley) and see if they'll ship you a tube. I paid, like, $100-$120 for mine as a regular known customer. It was nice a thick and had a large tapered glass segment at the bottom that held the coffee filters in place very well.

E

edux10

go to bed bath and beyond and get a stainless steel turkey baster. They work perfect. I had a few made by a glassblower friend and i like the bed bath and beyone baster better, fits a 1/4 oz well, you can get about 10-12 grams in there tight depending.

Turkey Baster Link $6

Run buds if you can but your trim will do fine. buds give you a 25% yeild at very best with most yeilding more around 20%

Here is the link to the BHO tek

many people have started to use a tea kettle to heat the water to purge. You do NOT want boiling water. You want really hot water, but boiling is too hot. If you get your water too hot, you will burn your oil. Butane purges at a relativly low temp, if you get your water higher you will burn your oil, turing it from a nice gold/amber to black and hardly amber. A lot of people seem to do this as they think that the bubbles in their oil is butane.

Butane is grey looking when it is in oil. It is a gas and you can easily see it when it is in your material. There are little bubbles in the oil called terpines, aka flavor. All those little bubbles you see after you first purge are good and you want those to be in your oil. You will see in time what i mean. Butane is very easily identified.

here is one last link i want to shoot your way. It is a little more advanced, but it is really the newest thing everyone is doing. It is a vaccuum tek that helps get a nicer oil in the long run, it is a lot of work and really only makes it that little bit better, but you may want to check it out and bookmark for the future

oh, i lied, one last link, dont let anyone tell you budder is better than oil for any reason, actually budder needs to be used quickly after you whip it as it looses its taster (terpines) very fast. Check it out.

oh and dont ever break the golden rule of BHO, ALWAYS BLAST YOUR TANE OUTSIDE!!!!

L

loolagigi

thanks bwz and edux. great info.
yeah im no richie rich, but it would be nice to do a couple ounces at a time. i will have about 3-4 oz of trim to run in a week or 2 so,....any advice is great. i gues i could run 4-6 turkey baster runs?....not sure yet, but i will keep you guys posted.
thanks again for the advice, you have all been really nice. stick around, i may have some more questions...thanks...Loola

E

edux10

yea, i would say if you wanted to fun a lot, and fast, then get multi turkey basters. Fill them all up and blast away. You can play around with it a little, say, try blasting them all into one dish and purging, this may be just as good as doing each run seperate.

key for people trying it out is dont use a lot of heat. I see people purging it on there stove and stuff. This just ruins the oil really. you want to purge at low (just before water boiling0 temps.

devious d

devious d

hi all i use a babys bottle two holes in bottom one in the lid, remove teat, screw down teat holder when bottle full of weed trim and tape lid on cheap and easily available item and functional and comes in various sizes, been using it for yrs

Top Bottom