1st time DWC issues =\, root/pest

• Thread starter Carloza
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Carloza

Carloza

Hey there,
newbie here also first post... Having some issues with my babies roots and pest.

-Basement indoor grow
-ILGM autoflower (amnesia haze and blueberry)
-age: 4 weeks since seed was put in a water glass/paper towel
-ph after res change is 5.5 and close to 6.4 after 7+ days
- nutes: general hydroponics trio+calimagic at 1/2 dosage ( first feed was at full strength and ppm was 1100, waaaay to much, diluted with water)
- hard water ppm is 200, total ppm right now is around 650 (1.4 ec) 500 scale
- res water temps: usually around 69-72f, no chiller, insulated res and lid.
-grow tent air temp: 70f lights off, 78-81 lights on
-40w commercial air pump and air diffuser
-2x qb96 led dimmed down, 18-24 inches from plant ( used 7k lux for sprout and 20~30k for veg, no par meter atm)

to the issues

Today on my res change I noticed a brown, slimy residue floating on the water and also on a few of my roots and it seems to be spreading fast. I don't think it's root stain, I believe it is either brown algae or beginning of root rot. Also found what it appears to be dust building inside my res, I even draw an X with the dust. Don't think it's dust from hydroton since I washed it and let it soak for 3 days ( Check pictures)

Today I did a heavy cleaning on everything with soap and water, then used some h2o2 and scrubbed everything again trying to kill the bastards

My res is black and insulated on the sides and top, the lid was painted white. I do believe I had a light leak issue going through the hydrotons on my net pot, since it wasn't full to the top or had anything to block light. Today I added a light proofing disc to cover the net pot but it is too early to tell if it made any difference. I also added 5ml/liter of h2o2 inside my res water to see if it helps keep things clean/kill. I'm debating whether or not to get hydroguard, I believe the small light leak could be the culprit. I did not cleaned the roots, was scared to kill them, I did scrub some of the brown nasty thing off of one just to check it out/smell.

I also have another issue, holes in the leaf of plant 1, a pest issue. Couldn't find any bugs, magnifier is on the mail, will do a through inspection on the leaves. Probably treat it with soap/water or pesticides.

Also getting some weird round brown spots in some leaves of plant 2, this one I'm not sure at all what it is, will be opening another thread for the pest/ weird spots issues, but will post some pictures here just in case someone have a input

Ps: I can only add 10 pictures, so the rest is coming later on

Thanks guys, sorry still leaning. Lots of info out there, so much it is getting me confused.

1st time dwc issues  rootpest
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 2
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 3
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 4
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 5
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 6
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 7
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 8
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 9
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 10
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 11
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 12
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 13
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 14
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 15
1st time dwc issues  rootpest 16
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Your fine, roots are fine. Need a few mins I wanna ask some questions

The bumps on the stem are fairly normal its just new root growth from high humidity but i will go over that in about 10 min if you dont get help before then

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok it may be the start of an infection but its very early if it is. To me it looks more like bacteria and not an infection. You will need to choose hydrogaurd or H2o2. I have used hydrogaurd and it is a great product.

If you choose sterile or live just let me know and i can help you with dosage and timing of them.

The leaf damage is because they are laying on the bubble wrap. Anytime a leaf does not get airflow this will happen or if its resting on something... even another leaf. I'm 99% confident there are no bugs. But this is going to be an issue until they get a bit bigger.

Now IMO this may sound drastic but I would remove the leaves resting on anything and get a slight breeze over the top of the buckets. You see those bumps on the main stem? thats from high humidity and its not an issue yet but it can become one. so getting just ever so slight air movement across the tops of the buckets will help the rest of the leaves transpire and prevent that stem from getting rot.

Will stop there for now... just let me know which route you wanna go. Sterile is cheaper but personally i prefer hydrogaurd

Carloza

Carloza

Ok it may be the start of an infection but its very early if it is. To me it looks more like bacteria and not an infection. You will need to choose hydrogaurd or H2o2. I have used hydrogaurd and it is a great product.

If you choose sterile or live just let me know and i can help you with dosage and timing of them.

The leaf damage is because they are laying on the bubble wrap. Anytime a leaf does not get airflow this will happen or if its resting on something... even another leaf. I'm 99% confident there are no bugs. But this is going to be an issue until they get a bit bigger.

Now IMO this may sound drastic but I would remove the leaves resting on anything and get a slight breeze over the top of the buckets. You see those bumps on the main stem? thats from high humidity and its not an issue yet but it can become one. so getting just ever so slight air movement across the tops of the buckets will help the rest of the leaves transpire and prevent that stem from getting rot.

Will stop there for now... just let me know which route you wanna go. Sterile is cheaper but personally i prefer hydrogaurd

Wow, your reply was awesome and so fast. Thank you very much.

To be honest I would go the hydroguard method, can get it delivered tomorrow and everywhere I read, I see good things about it and the price is not bad at all.

Regarding the plants sitting so low, that was probably my fault. I think I placed the rapid rooter to low inside the net pot or maybe used too much light intensity too early and the plant didn't stretched like I thought it would. Do you think if I bring my light higher that will make the plant seek for light and stretch? ( I saw that with stretchy seedlings)

I do have one fan bringing fresh air, but the tote is almost the same height of the fan so not much air flow, about to add a oscillating fan I was saving for later. One thing that worries me would be the bubble disc I just installed to block light from going inside the net pot, that will also block the air flow going to the lower stems or trapping more humidity down there I believe =x.

Very good call on the plants resting on the bubble wrap, completely missed that. I'm just worried about removing leaves that are sitting on something, because pretty much 2/3 of the plant is touching something or other leafs, would be some crazy defoliation, not sure my heart can take that xD

IMG 20200615 232926
IMG 20200615 232842
IMG 20200615 233040
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wow, your reply was awesome and so fast. Thank you very much.

To be honest I would go the hydroguard method, can get it delivered tomorrow and everywhere I read, I see good things about it and the price is not bad at all.

Regarding the plants sitting so low, that was probably my fault. I think I placed the rapid rooter to low inside the net pot or maybe used too much light intensity too early and the plant didn't stretched like I thought it would. Do you think if I bring my light higher that will make the plant seek for light and stretch? ( I saw that with stretchy seedlings)

I do have one fan bringing fresh air, but the tote is almost the same height of the fan so not much air flow, about to add a oscillating fan I was saving for later. One thing that worries me would be the bubble disc I just installed to block light from going inside the net pot, that will also block the air flow going to the lower stems or trapping more humidity down there I believe =x.

Very good call on the plants resting on the bubble wrap, completely missed that. I'm just worried about removing leaves that are sitting on something, because pretty much 2/3 of the plant is touching something or other leafs, would be some crazy defoliation, not sure my heart can take that xD
Maybe just the leaves with the most contact. If its just a bit they should be ok. Raising the light wont help them stretch much its more spectrum related and that looks like about 4k which is pretty blue leaning and will keep plants fairly squat. If more than half the leaf is resting on something pull it... does that leave you a few more? You can expect some damage from the ones that are but don't worry to much as the plant goes they can be plucked. The reason you want some is to get a bit more air to the stem also and if they are completely resting on something they are of no benefit anyhow.

I say good choice on the hydrogaurd. I also like to use enzymes, the last one I used was hygrozyme and i was really impressed I used half dose and only need it after water changes. There are plenty of other and someone else may chime in with a good alternative for a better price as its not the cheapest on the market.

Yeah i wouldn't put that disc there. instead take the net pot out and use electrical tape to cover the holes from the bottom make sure its tight and stuck to itself so it doesn't come off. After the plants get some height you can fill the rest of the net pot with hydroton to block the light

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I used enzyme komplete, when I had brown algae worked like a charm fast too. Would have used hydroguard buy I'm in canada and cant seem to get any without a 500$ bill to spend

Carloza

Carloza

Maybe just the leaves with the most contact. If its just a bit they should be ok. Raising the light wont help them stretch much its more spectrum related and that looks like about 4k which is pretty blue leaning and will keep plants fairly squat. If more than half the leaf is resting on something pull it... does that leave you a few more? You can expect some damage from the ones that are but don't worry to much as the plant goes they can be plucked. The reason you want some is to get a bit more air to the stem also and if they are completely resting on something they are of no benefit anyhow.

I say good choice on the hydrogaurd. I also like to use enzymes, the last one I used was hygrozyme and i was really impressed I used half dose and only need it after water changes. There are plenty of other and someone else may chime in with a good alternative for a better price as its not the cheapest on the market.

Yeah i wouldn't put that disc there. instead take the net pot out and use electrical tape to cover the holes from the bottom make sure its tight and stuck to itself so it doesn't come off. After the plants get some height you can fill the rest of the net pot with hydroton to block the light

Getting ready to do some surgery over here haha. Thanks for everything, I was having an anxiety attack lol. Plants are looking better already just by sanitizing everything

Also pretty genius idea blocking the light from inside out, also gives me more space at the stem area. 2 rabbits with one rock

About the hydroguard, I see dosages from 2ml~4ml/ gallon, does that seem accurate?( I miss Brazil and it's metric system ugh)

Carloza

Carloza

I used enzyme komplete, when I had brown algae worked like a charm fast too. Would have used hydroguard buy I'm in canada and cant seem to get any without a 500$ bill to spend

I feel your struggle, was born and raised in Brazil where everything cost you half a paycheck and a liver.
I can ship you some if you need, price here is $32 for a quart and $64 for a gallon. Compared to great white shark for 150 a quart...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Getting ready to do some surgery over here haha. Thanks for everything, I was having an anxiety attack lol. Plants are looking better already just by sanitizing everything

Also pretty genius idea blocking the light from inside out, also gives me more space at the stem area. 2 rabbits with one rock

About the hydroguard, I see dosages from 2ml~4ml/ gallon, does that seem accurate?( I miss Brazil and it's metric system ugh)
2ml a gallon is plenty imo. If you were treating and infection i would say 4ml in one gal poured from the top and 2ml per gal in the res.

Actually that would be a good idea just to be preventative. You only need a cup or so to pour over so even 2ml in a half gallon should do all your plants. Use RO or distilled for the pour over.

Also if you do this once a every week or 2 it gets rid of accumulated salt buildups that may cause issues down the road. This is beneficial with both hydrogaurd and enzymes. Idk about komplete but with hygrowzyme 2ml a gal of each hydrogaurd and hygrowzyme it's a good preventative practice

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom