1st Time Grow, Taking it all in...Check me out

• Thread starter papowerbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

papowerbud

I've been doing my research, both reading/watching the massive amounts of info which is available for quite some time now (2 years I would say). I decided why not, lets take this plunge as I've become rather passionate about learning and learning how to do it the best I can. So here go's nothing.

I don't have any specific questions at this time, I just wanted to say thank you in advance to everyone who contributes on this forum and give a basic introduction of myself. It's been much appreciated and I am sure in the near future I will come crawling for help So here's the setup, and I'll also include the first few planned rounds in regards to strain type. I am open to any comments, suggestions, criticisms etc so feel free to share your thoughts. I'll also be running a continuous growlog whenever a new harvest/crop begins through the process, so those in the future can maybe learn a thing or two from my early-ons...

Setup:
-6x4x7 HydroHut Silver Tent (took me an hour by myself to set up, very surprised good quality all metal structure. Plenty of support for lights, ventilation, etc and just an all around quality piece)
-Blockbuster 8" Air-Cooled Reflector
-Lumatek 600w 120/240v dimmable digital ballast with superlumens
-Hortilux HPS 600W bulb (will use for veg&flower)
-6" Inline Active Air for exhaust (400CFM)
-6" duct fan to cool the light
-Apollo 9 dual digital Timer (Presumably for light/exhaust fan)
-Oscillating Stand Fan
-Small angled fan to blow air up through
-3 way meter for ph,moisture,light levels
-digital temp/hygrometer

Medium will start with Light Warrior, and then transplant to a FFOF w/ perlite Mix. I've heard the FFOF may be a tad strong on the nut side for starters. I'm going to use solo cups to germ/sprout then transplant to 3 gal pots for the rest. I am planning to run 10-12 per grow.

Now for the Seeds...should be in any day now :-) some I ordered, some are freebies, some were given to me (in breeders packs, so they are legit):

Reserva Privada Kandy Kush
Reserva Privada Cole Train
Dinafem Power Kush
DNA Genetics RockLock
Dutch Passion Skunk#11
Dutch Passion Mekong High
Dutch Passion Orange Bud
Dutch Passion White Widow
Dutch Passion Blueberry
Pyramid Seeds Osiris
Pyramid Seeds Anestesia
Pyramid Seeds Tutankhamon
Lowlife Hindu Kush Auto
Lowlife Lemon Skunk Auto
Sagarmatha Double Diesel Ryder Auto
Sagarmatha Smurfberry Auto
Sagarmatha AK48 Auto

My first run through I'm going to do two groups of the Autos, simply because of quicker turnaround and I think it will be an easier first grow session. If you read through all this thanks in advance, I like to be thorough and I am very excited to take the next step. Again, any words on my future grow(s) fire away. I should have the seeds this coming week and in the pots next week I would assume/hope if everything goes as planned.

Melvan

Melvan

Autos are not a faster turn around, not too mention the very highest quality of auto weed wouldn't get any higher than a B+ rating. (I've opened the door to a bunch of trouble with that comment, but the truth is truth) I don't want you to be disappointed your first time around, and I think you will be if you do the autos. You'll take all the time, energy & nutes and get sub par smoke.

You have some nice 12/12 strains there. Your first grow should be the strains that have the highest Indicas percentage. These will normally veg a bit shorter and harvest sooner than those more heavily sativa. Indicas strains tend to be more forgiving of mistakes by the grower than sativa strains.

Just make sure you have the tent under control and dialed in before you sprout your seed.

Good luck and have fun!

B

Bearsfather

My only suggestion is to start out a little slow. Grow a few plants (4?)from start to finish, educate yourself as you grow these. As your gardening skills improve, increase the quantity (and quality) of your "Farm".

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
My only suggestion is to start out a little slow. Grow a few plants (4?)from start to finish, educate yourself as you grow these. As your gardening skills improve, increase the quantity (and quality) of your "Farm".

I have to agree with this. You have a great list of equipment...good seed list...but all the reading and research is differ than the actual grow show.

Jump in small and get your feet wet....you have to experience the ups and downs of the grow.

Like Bearsf said start small....add plants as you cycle thru

P

papowerbud

I totally agree, the reason I am growing more then 4 is because I plan on trial and error and I am sure a few will be subject to my errors. Below are some pics, I need help with the lighting schedule to start, should I be running 18-6 throughout with an autoflowering plant? Basically I am unsure about what lighting if any should be given in the very beginning stage, I put the beans in the soil mix yesterday and had 18-6 light on and put cling wrap over the pots.

IMG 20110118 163746
IMG 20110119 135355
IMG 20110119 135404
IMG 20110119 135654
IMG 20110119 135733
IMG 20110119 135746
Melvan

Melvan

24/0 should be your lighting schedule from start to finish on autos, they don't need a dark period. I know some will run 20/4, don't know why. Your photo period strains need 24/0 during their veg, then a flip to 12/12 for anywhere from 8-12 weeks depending on the strain.

As you already have these seeds in the big buckets, leave them there, but in the future start the seeds in small cups and get them growing well, then transplant to the larger buckets. It's hard to control the water when they're in that big of buckets to start. You're going to need to be REAL careful not to over water.

Once you see those seeds sprouting get the plastic off the top, too much humidity after sprouting can cause the new, weak stems to rot or "damp off".

Good luck, keep us updated so we can keep you on the right track.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Y you doing autos?
i know it might sound easier but they are kinda a pain in the butt
what u using for nutes?

P

papowerbud

I bought autos as I helped a friend and they turned out pretty nice and I wanted to try them for my first grow. I have the non-auto fems as well that I will be growing in the near future though!

P

papowerbud

Sprouted!

Opened up the bat-cave when I woke up, and whammy...4/9 have sprouted, earlier then I expected since I put them considerably deeper then 1/4". Two are Double Diesel Ryder, and two are Lemon Skunk Autos. I am hoping the other 5 pop up and I can take the plastic off sooner then later

IMG 20110122 111925
IMG 20110122 112115
IMG 20110122 112138
IMG 20110122 112145
lazarus718

lazarus718

Hopefully those last 5 pop, I don't like tossing them in the bucket and hoping they'll sprout and I've made the mistake of sowing too deep in the past. My experience with that is if they are too deep you won't see them again. I just started growing indoors but have grown outdoors for around five years, always started the germ process in paper towels then moved to jiffy pellets from there. I don't waste time hoping seeds will sprout this way and can move on with the heavier part of the grow more efficiently. I'd say that it's about a 95% germ rate using the paper towel method, you always get one of those seeds that just seems to be stubborn as hell, immature, or too old in the mix. You can hook your pots up right away with the FFOF and just leave the top 1/5 or so of the soil with the light warrior, by the time her roots get deep enough she'll be in love with what you have hidden underneath for her! If you plan on sticking with soil I would check into Subcool's Supersoil (google), won't let you down man! I'm an indoor newbie myself so hopping in for the ride and let me know if you need any help man!
~Peace

P

papowerbud

7 of the 9 sprouted and 6 of them are healthy. The one seedling died and just didnt seem to be of the same genetics almost it was weak and didnt make it unfortunately. The other two I most likely put two deep, and in all honest I am happy that 6 came up.

Two were giving me issues and weren't growing as well as the others. I threw a humidifier in my tent and pumped it up to 60% humidity and now they are right back so I have 6 healthy seedlings!

I think I am going to germ a few Hindu kush next and put those in this time using the paper towel method, I've had them in a cup of water now for a few hours. Thanks for all the input I appreciate it and look forward to sharing the journey(s) ahead!

lazarus718

lazarus718

Give it a try man (paper towel), I like it because then I know if I have a viable seed or not before it hits the soil, it will save you some time waiting. If you have a good seed it should sprout in 1-3 days, wait until the tap root is about 1/4 inch long then plant it really shallow in your soil, just enough to cover it with a thin layer. Much debate over which direction to put the tap root (up, down, sideways), I generally just let them fall in the hole how they want to. Once they've sprouted they'll make their way out of the soil as long as you let their roots get long enough and you didn't bury them with a ton of soil on top. You're looking at usually 1-2 days for them to break the surface after that. From there mine go into Jiffy pellets until they start sending roots out and that's when I put them in their final containers. Good luck man, I'll stay tuned!
~Late

P

papowerbud

I presoaked for a few hours in a glass of water, then put them between a few layers of damn paper towel. 4 of the 5 had already sprung a taproot earlier this morning when I checked (less then 24 hours, soaking must help?). I just checked again and they have grown considerably. I just pre-soaked 5 pots filled with FFOF and will get them in the ground this morning.

M

Mr. McGregor

Hello papowerbud-- I will watch this closely; I have almost identical equipment as you although my seed lineup will be much less ambitious. And I intend to build my own box.

Like you, I have read as much as I can on cannabis growing. I have very little indoor growing experience so I am hopeful that you will have a successful grow both for yourself and one that I can model.

Regards,
MM

Top Bottom