1st time grower. Life long user.

• Thread starter LeftOfCenter85
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LeftOfCenter85

LeftOfCenter85

Hey yall.

I started growing a few weeks ago.

I live in in the north west and its still been pretty chilly and we've got low sunlight but i decided to start growing anyway.

I started with a basic Jiffy brand green house with peat. I DID NOT germinate the seeds on paper towel. I just planted and watered. They started sprouting within a week or so.

Once they started to get too big for the green house i transplanted them into 8 ounce grow cups made of cardboard (? I think).

We are on about week 6 or 7 from planting. Still seedlings, im starting to notice the embryonic leaves are turning brown.

This is not by any means a professional grow. They are still inside because its pretty cold outside still. They get anywhere between 8 and 12 hours of light right now on windowsills around the house that get the best and most sunlight. I water maybe every other day.

Heres a few pics. I look forward to answering and asking plenty of questions.

1st time grower life long user
1st time grower life long user 2
1st time grower life long user 3
LeftOfCenter85

LeftOfCenter85

it seems they are trying to grow but for 6-7 weeks they look extremely light deprived and very stretched.
Thank you. What causes them to be so tall but still so small and juvenile? The light is hard to come by around these parts but im determined to grow without another light source (mostly because im stubborn).

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Welcome to the Farm. To supplement light, id use regular cfl bulbs. You can use those all the way through veg until we have enough sunlight and longer days to put them outside. They will continue to stretch, reaching for the sun 🌞 happy grows.
Burnz

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I’d recommend the cfl or t5 shop light closer to the plant. That will minimize the stretch.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Is the stretch a bad thing? Realistically?
No, some plants can grow as tall as 8’ though, specially outdoor. But it is good to allow that stem to bulk up so it is able to carry the weight. It all comes down to your space limits.

Madbud

Madbud

Welcome, i know a guy that does a window grow just like those and they come out great, like christmas trees. Couple days in the shade to harden them and then a summer of sunlight. Good luck

LeftOfCenter85

LeftOfCenter85

No, some plants can grow as tall as 8’ though, specially outdoor. But it is good to allow that stem to bulk up so it is able to carry the weight. It all comes down to your space limits.
How can i encourage stalk health?

LeftOfCenter85

LeftOfCenter85

Welcome, i know a guy that does a window grow just like those and they come out great, like christmas trees. Couple days in the shade to harden them and then a summer of sunlight. Good luck
Can you explain what you mean by a couple days in the shade to harden them?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I am no professional but I wish the vets would chime in. I start with light pretty close and slowly move higher as I see the main stem bulk up. This is what I do personally. Others may have some advice. Here’s my trunk at 29 days.

54BB6A6F 2A10 42D7 A0ED 7536D48EB5C6
LeftOfCenter85

LeftOfCenter85

I am no professional but I wish the vets would chime in. I start with light pretty close and slowly move higher as I see the main stem bulk up. This is what I do personally. Others may have some advice. Here’s my trunk at 29 days.
See thats healthy as hell. But again, i have little control over my environment. They are house plants but not necessarily an indoor grow in such terms. No hydro, lights, or tests for nutrients. Just a good old fashion home grow with water and soil. Because im not in my native california, i dont have much sunlight right now and im trying to work with what ive got.

In total i have 27 seedlings, 2 different seeds. My house ranges between 62 and 72 degrees so its a little chilly, im aware. They get watered about every other day but im thinking of reducing that to every 2 or 3 days (im noticing some drooping leaves. Indicator?).

Realiatically, this is an experiment for me that im really excited about. Im not going to make money off this grow. This is all me lol but i want to yield well, have healthy plants, and sustain myself. All the help is welcome but id like people to remember that i am a novice farmer and id like to keep it as simple as possible.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I like to think they are healthy, but I’ve had some issues. You can use any light all the way through until you flip to flower. You don’t need fancy lights. We have an little sun here in CA as well, not missing much. Here’s my outdoor in my little green house box with extra light until June.

B9584830 4115 483A A0E3 9771B82CD15E
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
See thats healthy as hell. But again, i have little control over my environment. They are house plants but not necessarily an indoor grow in such terms. No hydro, lights, or tests for nutrients. Just a good old fashion home grow with water and soil. Because im not in my native california, i dont have much sunlight right now and im trying to work with what ive got.

In total i have 27 seedlings, 2 different seeds. My house ranges between 62 and 72 degrees so its a little chilly, im aware. They get watered about every other day but im thinking of reducing that to every 2 or 3 days (im noticing some drooping leaves. Indicator?).

Realiatically, this is an experiment for me that im really excited about. Im not going to make money off this grow. This is all me lol but i want to yield well, have healthy plants, and sustain myself. All the help is welcome but id like people to remember that i am a novice farmer and id like to keep it as simple as possible.
One major issue is overwatering. We have all made the mistake. It’s really easy to over water. Let your soil dry out almost
Completely before watering again. That’s what I have learned from the vets here.

LeftOfCenter85

LeftOfCenter85

One major issue is overwatering. We have all made the mistake. It’s really easy to over water. Let your soil dry out almost
Completely before watering again. That’s what I have learned from the vets here.
see THATS the kind of info i need THANK YOU!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
see THATS the kind of info i need THANK YOU!
I don't want to discourage you but you'll need more light and some nutrients, if you want to keep them healthy. I grow in veg under florescent tubes t5 type are best imho. this is a pic of a 6 week old plant in veg I've topped multiple times to keep her short. You're in the right place for help lots of good folks to assist your grow.

Madbud

Madbud

Can you explain what you mean by a couple days in the shade to harden them?
Yes, if you put them in the shade for a couple days they get accustomed to natural daylight gradually, otherwise the sun is too bright and stresses them, they wither up.
Edit: and you will need to keep them staked a bit longer til they fill out.

Top Bottom