1st time grower needs help.

• Thread starter PDX420Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

1st time grower needs electrical help.

Hi, I'm a 1st time grower about to set up my 8x8 room. I have 2-3 400w MH and 2 1000w HPS. Im thinking of vegging with the 400s then switching over to the HPS's for flowering. However I live in an apt. and If i try running 2 1000s, it'll blow the breaker. So what do i need to do? Any help/tips will be very appreciated. Any other tips for a 1st time grower, would help too. Thanks in advance. BTW, very cool site! I've already learned a lot!

hiboy

hiboy

Since your in an apartment and most likely dont want to cut holes or run wires around your rooms, hallways, etc. your limited. First off, your breaker that blows when both 1000 lights are on is most likely on a 15 amp breaker. Your def. overloading it. I believe if it was on a 20 amp breaker it would not trip. As all on here will say, dont go over the 80% rule of power draw. But in some situations if your not able to change your electrical situation, it is possible to run it that way ,, and hey if it heats up your 20 amp breaker it should trip.... like your other one did. And yes your breaker will wear out quicker......the wire might get warm...
If you calculate your actual draw for your lights..2000 watts..100 watts ish for your ballasts.. your at 2100 watts ish... depending on your ballast type. And the 80% draw should not exceed 1920 watts .. so your maybe over 180 watts. If that difference makes a difference then the 80% rule should change to 70%.
so the other possibility is to locate outlets on seperate breakers,, even 15 amp, and plug one ballast into those. Just got to know what else is on them already.
what ya all think
hiboy

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Is there some kind of power converter that i could use to keep it all in 1 room. I really don't wanna have extension cords running out of anther room. (Even tho I'm legal, my landlord and in-laws frown on MJ to say the least) How do some of you run 10,000+ Watts? Keep in mind I have little electrical experience and am trying to stay safe/not kill myself.

M

MIway

Milwaukie river rat... ;-)

If you can throw the 1k while running the tv & microwave, then just 'flip flop' the lights... have one running while the other is in dark... and switch em around for the next cycle. You will always have one light running (24/7) vs 2 for 12 of the same hours.

Would also suggest you give the breaker a couple of minute break from one shutting off to the other igniting... might trip breakers if simultaneous.

GL

hiboy

hiboy

To run a large lighting load you need lotsa power, normally a 200 amp main panel and a sub panel in the grow room. Many components make up a successful and safe electrical system.
Without running new wires and or cords, your kinda outta luck. Some how u have to get wires in the room.
Hey... just tell the landlord and outlaws to stay out.
hiboy

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to buy some heavy duty cords and run the power from the bedroom next door.

H

HouseChron

PDX,

Do you have a washer/dryer in your apartment?

Washers/Dryers usually run off of 20 amp breakers. I've ran 600's off of these with no problems, just make sure to NOT use washer/dryer when lights are on.

I did this without cords showing by cutting a small hole in the roof of each room and running it through the ceiling. Dry wall is cheap and isnt too much trouble to DIY.

You could also swap the breakers for your bedroom from a 15 amp to a 20 or 30 amp pole. That way your bedroom outlets can handle the power your looking to use and no worries with cords showing in the hall.

1st timer advice - Pay attention to detail. Grow with your grow. :harvest:

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

No washer and dryer. Just an on site laundry room. Sucks. I ended up removing the 3" trim around the bottom of the wall and made a hole for the cord. Then ran it thru to the room next door. No cords in the hall. When I move I can just put the trim back on (in both rooms) and the holes will be covered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom