2 days of darkness before cutting down valid?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

I’ve read in a few diff places now to do 2 days of pure darkness right before cutting the plants down. Is there any weight to this trick? And if so, how/why does it work?

thanks.

420ReBeLGrower

420ReBeLGrower

I was wondering this exact same thing. I think it's because plants do they growing at night and maybe the idea is for the plant to try and pull all nutes and such out from leaves and stems? I have no clue, but have never tried it before.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Leaving the plant in darkness for 24 hrs will let the excess starches in the plant go back down to the roots possibly resulting in smoother smoke.

Thats it. And even ed rosenthal tested it back in the 90’s like most of these constantly asked same questions on weed forums.

CF89

CF89

You’re right. I googled it afterward and did a bunch of reading.... on threads here about it. Oops.

Seems like it’s strain dependant and definitely does work on some. Whereas doesn’t work on others. Doesn’t seem to hurt though 🤷‍♀️

CF89

CF89

Here’s what someone said and I found it interesting. Seems to know what he’s talking about but who knows.

“As I understand it, photosynthesis cannot continue in the plant during the dark period. At 12 hours, O2 and sugar levels are peaked for the coming day. Day doesn't come. Within just a few hours, the plant has nearly exhausted the majority its sugars and cannot produce more without light. Since respiration continues, O2 and O3 are still entering the plant, causing oxidation of lipid tissues and degradation of chlorophyll to chlorophyllide-a oxygenase, an enzyme that actually helps accelerate the breakdown of chlorophyll. After 24 hours oxygen levels begin to decrease as the plants metabolic processes panic without light, and here's where the research gets thinner. At about 48 hours, oxygen levels fall below what is necessary for the plant to maintain basic functions. At 100 hours, most varieties of plant will show discoloration, wilting and permanent hormonal damage. Beyond about a week in total darkness is the onset of albinism and illness resulting in death. That's what I think I understand, and I may very well be wrong. The plant is so much more complicated than we care to admit”

Top Bottom