First harvest

20171003 182440

Ayahuasca Purple from Barnyes

20180224 105942

Lemon Skunk by DNA Genetics

20200213 105858

Same Lemon Skunk

20180327 210934

Acapulco Gold. Grew it a few times.. It never grew large. Had a very unusual black licorice taste.

20180420 181108

My 420 tree. Just like a Christmas tree with better presents. Lemon Skunk

20180720 065516

King Tut, still a ways away from harvest

20180813 082825

Lemon Zkittles

20190813 123007

RSO ready to go

20190313 165257

Strawberry Banana from DNA Genetics
20190426 094532

Northern Lights (technically not mine), but I started them till they were in 1 gallon pots and then dried them and cured them.

20200118 200058

Strawberry Banana from DNA

20200711 195349

Wembley from Pyramid Seeds

20200720 200449

Wembley in soil

20210222 084538

Not a crazy yield. It's 2 WW plants. But, I'm using a 10000K MH lamp to stress the plants

20210611 195423

White Widow just starting flower

20210625 194739

More WW.

Some good times.

stltoed

stltoed

@Aqua Man we were discussing light measurement and it's importance while using gas... when you are talking about the measurements are you talking about 600PFF as a mean value, or just the highest value you can find on the plant... basically the tallest point?

The numbers just fall off as I measure the various depths of the plant. Numbers on the side of the plant are almost a joke.

I'm thinking, I'll measure 10 or so places, add them up and divide by the numbers of measurements. Then work from the mean value... I didn't do that before.

The growth on the sides isn't moving as well as the stuff on top. I've unclipped these outside tops so they can get better light. This is usually something I usually do in flower. They will keep their training for a little while.

The plant isn't gonna get any thinner. Even if I laid all the branches down and clipped them it would still be a fairly thick plant. So, I will let these branches do their thing. If it becomes unmanageable I may clip a couple down again, but they will probably finish up unclipped.

Calmag and Potassium issues seem to be over. My Calmag is at 200% of the large recommended dose. I opened the bottle in April. I cant imagine it "went bad" but maybe I contaminated it while dosing a new res, and it lost some strength. I don't know. I have a new bottle ready for action, but the one I have now may last through this season. Also, I found out I can't get my Nitro free Calmag anymore. I'm not growing Strawberry Banana ever again, so it may not be such a big deal... but, it's kind of a bummer

stltoed

stltoed

So, I measured my light strength and found it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since the plants grew since I measured them last the numbers were really pretty high (I'd share the results, but I left them in the shed). And since the top of the plants are fairly flat they were within about 200 across the top. Not a lot of adjustment to be had unless I dial it back.

The closet plant is doing well. It's got this light green thing going on in the leaves. It looks like a metal deficiency. I gave it some Ironite, and about 5 gallons of hydro water at the last nutrient change, and there is some yellowing tips from that. This plant is just a finicky bitch! It started out wierd and stayed that way. Take a look at its baby picture below... the plant on the right. I threw the plant to the left out, just too fucked up and not growing. These seeds were less than 1 week newer than the hydro plants. So, basically Greenhouse made another unstable strain. Unfortunate, I really wanted to see this one do well.
20210814 102838

I hope you're all well!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I'd say your spread is good. I usually refer to ppfd but when new growers have light issues I will refer to lux because of the free apps that can somewhat measure it decently enough for our use. Even that is only a ballpark and to get an idea of where they are at.

Tbh I hate numbers and think to many look at guides as absolutes which is very far from being the case.

When it comes to light while yes genetics play a role in how much they can tolerate almost all of the time there is an issue where you see light stress it's not once been due to genetics that I have seen.

Many miss the fact that the environmental factors have probably the biggest impact on how efficiently a plant can use this light (photosynthesis rates) and how much it can tolerate before showing signs of stress or damage. So you cannot just go by guides. Most guides are assuming a relatively healthy plant in a favorable environment and this is often not the case. If they are relatively healthy and in a good environment then you can easily judge the plants reaction to the intensity by paying attention to the upper leaves.

Nice flat or ever so slight V to them is where you want to be. Once they start to V and the plants are lifting the petiole to reduce the exposure of light to the leaf.... you have gone to far and if left will cause issues.

You will see plants with issues and sometimes ppl say oh that amount of light is fine.... well yes it's fine for a health plant but not fine for the plant in question.

The closest thing to a rule in cannabis I can think of is if the plant had an issue reduce the light intensity if possible until corrected. Light is the driving factor of the entire plant... the more light, the higher demand on transpiration, nutrients, co2, water, o2 in the rootzone and the list goes on.

So when you have an issue with one of those and you reduce the demand on whatever the issue is it will progress slower and give you more to correct with much less damage in the time it takes to correct.... which means a much faster recovery and in a lot of cases a lot more leaves with the ability to still photosynthesize and produce energy to the plant.

You can have clones from the same mother go to 2 different grows and literally have one handle much much more light than the other just based on environment and overall health. So numbers are guides and only guides.... reading the plant you cannot go wrong. And yes you can have to much light for a plant in its conditions so just because the numbers should be ok for the plant doesn't mean they are.

Ok last thing on this novel of an answer....

When it comes to light.... it is all about overall photosynthesis not how a particular brach or leaf. So keeping all the leaves exposed to light healthy is important... many cook the top few trying to get more light to the lower ones.... but this will just reduce overall photosynthesis. Likewise why I prune based on maximizing the higher photosynthetic rates of newer growth and removing the oldest largest fan leaves as they are less efficient and take up more space that's exposed to light... now with that said I don't remove any healthy leaves that would allow light to travel through the plant.

Dam I'll stop there but I could prob go on for pages lol.

Tldr: scroll back up and read 😉

stltoed

stltoed

So I'd say your spread is good. I usually refer to ppfd but when new growers have light issues I will refer to lux because of the free apps that can somewhat measure it decently enough for our use. Even that is only a ballpark and to get an idea of where they are at.

Tbh I hate numbers and think to many look at guides as absolutes which is very far from being the case.

When it comes to light while yes genetics play a role in how much they can tolerate almost all of the time there is an issue where you see light stress it's not once been due to genetics that I have seen.

Many miss the fact that the environmental factors have probably the biggest impact on how efficiently a plant can use this light (photosynthesis rates) and how much it can tolerate before showing signs of stress or damage. So you cannot just go by guides. Most guides are assuming a relatively healthy plant in a favorable environment and this is often not the case. If they are relatively healthy and in a good environment then you can easily judge the plants reaction to the intensity by paying attention to the upper leaves.

Nice flat or ever so slight V to them is where you want to be. Once they start to V and the plants are lifting the petiole to reduce the exposure of light to the leaf.... you have gone to far and if left will cause issues.

You will see plants with issues and sometimes ppl say oh that amount of light is fine.... well yes it's fine for a health plant but not fine for the plant in question.

The closest thing to a rule in cannabis I can think of is if the plant had an issue reduce the light intensity if possible until corrected. Light is the driving factor of the entire plant... the more light, the higher demand on transpiration, nutrients, co2, water, o2 in the rootzone and the list goes on.

So when you have an issue with one of those and you reduce the demand on whatever the issue is it will progress slower and give you more to correct with much less damage in the time it takes to correct.... which means a much faster recovery and in a lot of cases a lot more leaves with the ability to still photosynthesize and produce energy to the plant.

You can have clones from the same mother go to 2 different grows and literally have one handle much much more light than the other just based on environment and overall health. So numbers are guides and only guides.... reading the plant you cannot go wrong. And yes you can have to much light for a plant in its conditions so just because the numbers should be ok for the plant doesn't mean they are.

Ok last thing on this novel of an answer....

When it comes to light.... it is all about overall photosynthesis not how a particular brach or leaf. So keeping all the leaves exposed to light healthy is important... many cook the top few trying to get more light to the lower ones.... but this will just reduce overall photosynthesis. Likewise why I prune based on maximizing the higher photosynthetic rates of newer growth and removing the oldest largest fan leaves as they are less efficient and take up more space that's exposed to light... now with that said I don't remove any healthy leaves that would allow light to travel through the plant.

Dam I'll stop there but I could prob go on for pages lol.

Tldr: scroll back up and read 😉
Some good stuff there! Thank you so much for the directors cut of an explaination. It all made perfect sense. I get a little verbose when I'm explaining shit sometimes. It's nice to be on the receiving end. Thanks again!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Some good stuff there! Thank you so much for the directors cut of an explaination. It all made perfect sense. I get a little verbose when I'm explaining shit sometimes. It's nice to be on the receiving end. Thanks again!
Haha.... I catch myself rambling forever all the time when I get on a topic I enjoy.... why stop now lol

KingKobi

KingKobi

Some previous successes:
View attachment 1171399
First harvest

View attachment 1171403
Ayahuasca Purple from Barnyes

View attachment 1171404
Lemon Skunk by DNA Genetics

View attachment 1171405
Same Lemon Skunk

View attachment 1171406
Acapulco Gold. Grew it a few times.. It never grew large. Had a very unusual black licorice taste.

View attachment 1171407
My 420 tree. Just like a Christmas tree with better presents. Lemon Skunk

View attachment 1171408
King Tut, still a ways away from harvest

View attachment 1171409
Lemon Zkittles

View attachment 1171410
RSO ready to go

View attachment 1171412
Strawberry Banana from DNA Genetics
View attachment 1171414
Northern Lights (technically not mine), but I started them till they were in 1 gallon pots and then dried them and cured them.

View attachment 1171415
Strawberry Banana from DNA

View attachment 1171416
Wembley from Pyramid Seeds

View attachment 1171417
Wembley in soil

View attachment 1171419
Not a crazy yield. It's 2 WW plants. But, I'm using a 10000K MH lamp to stress the plants

View attachment 1171420
White Widow just starting flower

View attachment 1171421
More WW.

Some good times.
What did you pull on the Lemon Zkiittlez.
Oh and hbty. Thanks for the updates.Appreciated all the way Downunder

Last edited:
OscarMayer

OscarMayer

Hey @stltoed Beautiful garden you have there.

Not sure if you remember me from another message board (my username was based on a joke from Porky's). Took a break from that place for a few months (i'm sure you can understand why) only to find out you and a few of the other folks i enjoyed the company of had left for various reasons.

Stoked to be finding another one of your journals and this fine message board here. Seems a little more "free" over here. 😎 Happy belated birthday btw!

stltoed

stltoed

Hey @stltoed Beautiful garden you have there.

Not sure if you remember me from another message board (my username was based on a joke from Porky's). Took a break from that place for a few months (i'm sure you can understand why) only to find out you and a few of the other folks i enjoyed the company of had left for various reasons.

Stoked to be finding another one of your journals and this fine message board here. Seems a little more "free" over here. 😎 Happy belated birthday btw!
Hey man! I hope all is well. Glad to be reunited. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

stltoed

stltoed

I think I'm gonna flip these fairly soon. I'm running out of vertical clearance. While I have run this strain before, I've never run it in hydro, or with gas, two factors that can promote an aggressive stretch. I'm thinking I should account for that. My new carbon filter has taken up a fair amount of real-estate above my lights limiting the space up North.
Decisions decisions.

stltoed

stltoed

@Aqua Man how far do you run gas into flower? I stopped about 2 weeks short if I remember correctly last season. It just kind of stopped working, so I shut it down.

There's a lot said about this online. Some run it to the end, some say it will turn your buds larfy. What is your opinion on this?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man how far do you run gas into flower? I stopped about 2 weeks short if I remember correctly last season. It just kind of stopped working, so I shut it down.

There's a lot said about this online. Some run it to the end, some say it will turn your buds larfy. What is your opinion on this?
I drop mine to about 600 at then end also.

Top Bottom