2 Options For Light Layout In A 12x12 Room.

• Thread starter HairyRoots
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HairyRoots

HairyRoots

I have a new 12x12 room. Im debating on how i want to set it up. I currently have the equipment for 1000w hps lights I have plans to upgrade those lights to Gavita's after the first run. Cooling this room wont be a problem the environment will be dialed in either way i go. My question is, for the first run with the hps's that i already have, can i fit 6000 watts in the 12x12 room. or is it just overkill. When i switch to the Gavita's I will be running 4 of them in the room. covering a 10x10 footprint. So if i am trying to max out my first run, fill the room get it a little crowded, will 6000w be too much. Would it be better to cut it back to 4000w.

any opinions are welcomed

Tnelz

Tnelz

I've never grown in that big of a room or with that much wattage. My boy used to run 4k in an 8*8 and smashed it. Nothing about his grows said to much light. What u want to do is 2k over 2 Sq ft roughly. I think that's awesome and u will kill it. Dosent seem like to much. Good luck and please anyone correct my math I'm a painter. LolLol.

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

Thanks for the response. I actually made a mistake in the original post i meant 9000w not 6000. every 1000w hps can cover a 4x4 space so if i wanted to fill the entire room it would be 9, 1000w lights for every 4x4 space in the 12x12 room. I want to change my original post to not confuse anyone new reading it but it doesn't seem to let me.

when i then change to the gavitas i will have 4 of them covering a 5x5 space ea giving me a 10x10 canopy in the 12x12 room.

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

height is not an issue. ive worked with gavitas in 7.5ft spaces before. not impossible just gotta have great cooling and enginuity. but this space has no height restrictions. im just curious if 9000w of hps is over kill for a 12x12 room

One Flip

One Flip

Fish made a good point. 10+ for 1k. And really I don't even like using the 750's unless I have 8.5 or 9ft ceilings. I like to grow big plants and by the time you hang the fixture and throw your plants in some 10's or 15's the space between the canopy and the light runs out real quick. I definitely wouldn't put over 6 lights in a room that size. I would recommend 6 600's or 6 750's if you got the height.

One Flip

One Flip

height is not an issue. ive worked with gavitas in 7.5ft spaces before. not impossible just gotta have great cooling and enginuity. but this space has no height restrictions. im just curious if 9000w of hps is over kill for a 12x12 room
you snuck your ceiling height post in there before I could hit reply lol.

I would say that is over kill. gavita is a big fan of lighting the room not the canopy. But 9 1k's in a 12 x 12 is too much. I think you would be better off with 6 750's or 1ks since you have the height.

Last edited:
HairyRoots

HairyRoots

i think we might have gotten off the original topic. although i agree with the comment about high ceilings for gavitas. it doesn't really apply to my question. im not asking about filling this room with gavitas. just your average 1000w hps light. When i do put gavitas in this room it will only have 4 of them and not the 750s i think thats a waste especially when the gavitas are connected to the el2 controller which will dim the lights if needed. but again beside the point.

i think i will just put in 6000w. i don't think the extra 3000 will be worth it.

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

in a 12x12 room you have 9 4x4 spaces a 1000w hps covers a 4x4 space so thats where i got my 9000w number

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

gavitas cover a 5x5 space so i would use 4 of them to have a canopy of 10x10. i currently dont have any extra gavitas to use for this room. but i do have a bunch of hps laying around so i firgured i would max out the 12x12 space with as many 1000w hps as possible.

One Flip

One Flip

gavitas cover a 5x5 space so i would use 4 of them to have a canopy of 10x10. i currently dont have any extra gavitas to use for this room. but i do have a bunch of hps laying around so i firgured i would max out the 12x12 space with as many 1000w hps as possible.
Gavita's throw a 4x6 footprint.. (Not unless that wasn't factual when I last checked, that was about a year ago). I keep my 1k's about 40 inches off the canopy and I hang 3 over every two 4x8 trays.. If you put your 6 1k sodiums in your space you will crush it. That will leave you a foot or two on each side for a little room to function.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Depends on how many amps you have and if the power bill is a concern and if your worried about yield per watt.
You'll get more per watt with less watts. 4-6k will be hight yield per light. because the extra room.
But if that don't matter and power don't matter, I throw 9k in there bare bulb with 5 tons of ac co2 and pull some weight. lol

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

yea power is not an issue. ive got 200amp service. however the room size did change. Gonna have to go with 12x8 with 5 lights. electrician is actually coming in tomorrow to finish a couple of things. then the build will happen. in the mean time i just popped some new beans for this new room. i will throw up a new thread when i actually have plants to show.

I appreciate everyones feedback

Mr.X

Mr.X

I think the gavitas are too much with those height restrictions. 9 hps HID'S is sweet, no overkill. Obviously funds aren't an issue since you say you can acquire the gavitas but you can go with a wing type reflector and reap even greater rewards with the light crossover, just use one 1k over every 4×4 area as long as you can keep the heat in check theres absolutely no downside. Ventilation, heat exchange are what you should take into consideration for this project. Best of luck to you. PEACE !

sixstring

sixstring

12 x 8 i would hang 6 of your 1k in there and rock it out.plants wall to wall but i dont mind the crawl when watering,its good for ya lol.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

if cooling really isn't an issue there's no reason not to throw 9 1ks in there. As long as you have air movement between the hoods and the canopy you won't have any problems - you'll def want to take that heat out from under the lights quickly though.

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

I thought about putting six in but it's going to be easy to work in there if I only run 5. With 5 4x4 sections. And one 4x4 section in the middle for me to work. Should work out just fine.

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

Wow lol like one person answered your actual question. 9x 1k is the correct set up to properly illuminate the full 12x12 area. You mentioned you had adequate cooling capacity which would be my only concern. Assuming u do have that covered Id rock all 9.

HairyRoots

HairyRoots

Wow lol like one person answered your actual question. 9x 1k is the correct set up to properly illuminate the full 12x12 area. You mentioned you had adequate cooling capacity which would be my only concern. Assuming u do have that covered Id rock all 9.

lol thanks for noticing. I figured putting 9 1k's in a 12x12 would be awesome. unfortunately i had to downsize to a 12x8. A good friend is letting me build a room in his garage. in return im paying his mortgage. its only about 10% of my harvests. but the origional plan was to use almost all of the garage space. but we agreed to just using half of it so we can keep up the ping pong table. haha gotta play beer pong every once in a while to make me feel young agian. but yea, now its a 12x8 room. i thought of maxing it out with 6 lights but i would rather have a little space to work so im going with 5 lights each sitting over a 4x4 table. Cooling is not an issue, and height is not an issue 10ft ceilings. so i might do 4 hps and 1 gavita in the middle. then slowly upgrade the rest out to gavitas as more $$ comes in. power is not an issue either ive just upgraded my panel to 200amp

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Did you consider that your ping-pong space is gonna lose you 6-12k per harvest? If you skipped the ping pong space you'd be able to rent a whole other space in less than three months, exclusively for beer pong. Or another garden...

Top Bottom