2 oz kush bud extraction with 100% acitone or butaine?

• Thread starter iBsmokin it
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iBsmokin it

ok hello everyone, im new to this page and this is my first post. i have 2 oz. of kush buds. i have made butane hash a few times and been successful but i want better purer hash, i am thinking of trying to do it with acetone. any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

squiggly

squiggly

Acetone is much nastier and harder to get rid of than butane in terms of health concerns. It is also fairly reactive by comparison with butane.

If you want to get a more pure product, you will perform purification procedures AFTER extraction. Method of extraction is independent of purity if using this pathway. Look around this forum for purification techniques as they are all already outlined in older threads.

Some methods to look for:

Filtration
Defatting
Water Washing (liquid-liquid extraction)
Vacuum Purging

If you are inexperienced, it is best to start with the methods which are best covered until you've developed your own working knowledge of the chemistry behind extraction/purification. If you did want to do a liquid extraction instead of gas-liquid butane extraction for better contact on the bud, I would recommend hexanes. However, care must be taken when evaporating/distilling off the solvent once you've extracted the material in either case.

Graywolf

Graywolf

What Sqiggly said. Acetone is a polar solvent and is miscible with water, while butane is non-polar, and its solubility in water is close to zero. Acetone will extract more undesirables than butane will.

Hexane is non polar and has zero water solubility, so it will produce a more pristine extraction and can be used to clean up other extractions. It is harder to purge however, and requires some extra steps.

We use HPLC reagent grade hexane, which we get from a local school scientific supply store.

If you will search my, "Getting the green and waxes out" post, it provides the cleanup details that I use.

squiggly

squiggly

We use HPLC reagent grade hexane, which we get from a local school scientific supply store.

This brings up an interesting point I'd like to make about solvent-grades and why/why not to buy a particular one.

First, Graywolf, good job using HPLC grade solvent. Food grade solvent would be *very* slightly better--however this is probably even only true on paper due to what the chemical is allowed to come into contact with during its processing. There are minimum allowances of chemicals in different grades of solvent.

HPLC is a good substitute for food grade because it has the lowest minimum allowances. These are basically at zero due to the application its intended for: High Pressure Liquid Chromatography, a method of detecting molecules present in a sample, even trace amounts. Thus the solvent (which carries analytes to the detector, typically a UV detector) must be free of other molecules to avoid giving false detection signals (as UV detectors are very sensitive).

That being said, often solvents which *are not* food grade can be purified using VERY QUESTIONABLE chemicals. These chemicals are used to separate azeotropes of various solvent-solvent systems (there are literally thousands if not millions that occur) and many of them are, for lack of a better way to say it, dangerous as hell.

If you go and buy regular old 99.9% anhydrous ethanol, there is almost no question it was produced by vacuum distillation with benzene. For my tastes, 0.1% water-benzene is too much water-benzene for me. Especially when considering how difficult it will be to remove ALL water from an oil mixture (this is basically not possible sans a vacuum dessication apparatus which simultaneously warms and stirs the sample).

Food grade ethanol will likely be produced by vacuum distilling a slurry of azeotropic ethanol and an innocuous drying agent. This must be repeated and done in a very expensive apparatus, but it gets the job done safely.

There is a similar story for nearly every common solvent, and certainly for every solvent I've ever seen mentioned on this board. It behooves the rest of us, as producers of things that people put in/on them, to do the proper research into which materials are safe for use--and which are not.

Top Bottom