2 pole relays on closeout

• Thread starter 1971
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

was shocked at how inexpensive the 30 amp ones are. if you like to build your own lighting controllers, this will help :)

Olyver

Olyver

Cheap relays are exactly that cheap..... You need to know all contactors are not built the same. Those relays have copper plated quick connects, the metal plated is usually nickel. Don't see an UL/CSA or RoHS compliance. The thin copper wire for the coil that is wrapped 1000's of time around the spool will corrode quicker when exposed to heat and humidity.

Siemens, Cutler Hammler, Potter-Brumfeld, etc all make quality contactors, a little more than those cheap ones but less chance of failure.

they are UL rated for the ones I got. good thing they aren't in my grow room :)

hiboy

hiboy

They do have quick connects but also lugs right above them. They are UL recognized in the data sheet. Damn cheap for the 40 amps.. `12 bucks.. thats amazing. Hard to believe they are quality at that price. Mount em in metal enclosure as u should and keep em sealed and they would be worth a try, just keep an eye on them
hb

yeah, they were closeouts and not normally that price. another one had CE approval but wasn't rated for ballasts. the reality is that these are only activated twice a day and who runs the same grow room for years on end without making changes, trying new equipment, etc. if this were a commercial setting where the contactors were used much more, I would go for something more brand name with failure testing.

and yes, i'd run them in a metal enclosure.

squarepusher

squarepusher

for lighting controllers ,we want 30Amp minimum (for 6 lights) and 240 V 2 pole correct?

I'm assuming 1000's? digital? i would go for the 40amp one. i run just a couple lights per contactor and stagger the start, so i can get away with using 25amp contactors.

Top Bottom