2 wilted plants after inspecting plant roots with flashlight.

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Good lookin' out Cap. Just did an inspection and all is well. I have been totally overlooking the root base as a point of inspection.... until now.

You wont see it unless you pull the soil, coco , or rockwool away from the base. you kind of have to dig a little. another sure sign is splitting/swelling at the base (like an elephants foot).

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Good info Cap. I know that I have one mom with a little splitting right near where the base meets the rockwool. I will be more conscious in the future of how close my drippers are to the stem.

-TF

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You wont see it unless you pull the soil, coco , or rockwool away from the base. you kind of have to dig a little. another sure sign is splitting/swelling at the base (like an elephants foot).
Did you scope the infected plant material to see if you could make a positive ID on the culprit?

This can also be caused by using products like guano as a top-dressing without adequately mixing into the soil, which can cause them to cake, which creates a moist area, possibly anaerobic, that allows pathogens to gain a foothold.

Reactions: mal
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Good info Cap. I know that I have one mom with a little splitting right near where the base meets the rockwool. I will be more conscious in the future of how close my drippers are to the stem.

-TF

BRO CHECK UNDER THE ROCKWOOL BY THE STEM IMMEDIATELY!!!!! With E.F, your plant will show no signs of problems, then BAM! Dead. literally within hours.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Did you scope the infected plant material to see if you could make a positive ID on the culprit?

This can also be caused by using products like guano as a top-dressing without adequately mixing into the soil, which can cause them to cake, which creates a moist area, possibly anaerobic, that allows pathogens to gain a foothold.

I had my drippers close tot he stem. This is apparently a hydro disease, and not a soil one.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I didn't know what E. Foot was so I looked it up...this is for anyone else out there that might want a little info on it...kinda interesting how they alleviated this.....

Additional index words. Capsicum annuum, physiological disorder, basal stem rot, irrigation,
fungus gnats.
Abstract. Sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) is currently the vegetable crop with the
largest acreage under protected agriculture in Florida. The growing system for pepper is
characterized by the use of soilless media and frequent irrigation with a complete nutrient
solution. A physiological plant disorder not known to occur in soil-grown plants was
observed in two hydroponic greenhouse crops at Gainesville, FL. The stem became swollen
below the cotyledons node level, where longitudinal cracks developed on the epidermis.
Rotting occurred in these wounds and reached the internal stem vessels. Adventitious roots
abscised leading to a major reduction of water absorption. The affected plants wilted
suddenly with no diagnosable pathogenic disease. In other countries (i.e. Spain and
Canada), where greenhouse sweet pepper has been grown in soilless media, the disorder has
been termed “Elephant’s Foot”, based on a description of the stem appearance. Locating
irrigation emitters close to the stem may be directly related to a cause for this disorder.
Moving the emitter gradually away from the stem base partially helped to alleviate the
problem. In Spain and Canada the “Elephant’s Foot” disorder is avoided by transplanting
a young seedling up to the cotyledonary level into a rockwool block. The block is later
placed over a soilless media bag or rockwool slab. The irrigation emitter is moved from the
top to the base of the block once the roots grow into the container media. Factors other
than emitter location, such as irrigation and fertilization frequency, and/or the use of
certain soilless media per se might also lead to the development of “Elephant’s Foot”.
Additional research related to these factors is presently being conducted to determine the
cause and solution for the disorder. More information and knowledge about the factors
that cause the “Elephant’s Foot” disorder will help avoid this problem.

Top Bottom