2000 ppm WTF!

• Thread starter samino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
samino

samino

This is only my second run in coco and had a similar problem the first run.
All thru veg plants look great, but once in flower for 2 to 3 weeks is when the problem begins.
I notice purple fan leaf stems, browning on the edges and tips of fan leafs. This time around I made sure to check every thing and once I check the ppm's, its over 2000. I never go over 800 with any nute line, and this time im using Hesi and PPM's going in is only at 600. I have also used drip clean at .5 ml per gallon! So my question is how could the build up be so high even using drip clean. Also, whats the best way to flush these pots?

this is 4 weeks flower and this is what im using.
140 ppm tap
Hesi coco
Hesi power zyme
supervit
Rock Resonator only 4ml per gal
drip clean .4 ml per gal

I need help with this fast fellas!

budm

budm

What pots you using? I run coco in airpots and flushing is very easy... What's your feed system/schedule?

samino

samino

Thanks for replying fellas! Im using 3 gallon smart pots, and i am hand watering at the moment! I do get some run of but not that much, I feed with 1 gallon of solution once a day per 3 gallon pot!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Uh.... I'm going to suggest checking for flyers that look like fungus gnats. If you see them, start inspecting rootballs for root aphid larvae. Because what you describe is awfully close to how an infestation of root aphids goes, awfully close. I think you're getting that high ppm because the plants aren't eating a thing and it's building up in the media.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
I dont have a ppm meter but sounds about the same as my problem. The purpling is a Mag def caused by high ppms. Ive been raising my ph to 6.3 and watering that in to get it back in check. I didnt flush this i just adjusted the ph and it seems to be working. 2000 ppms might need to be flushed out.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Seamaiden, hit it on the nose, might be a pest that has killed ur roots.. Or ur plants just don't like what ur feeding them therefore there always left over residual nutrients in ur medium, that with maybe ph problem in the medium caused by excessive salts.. I bet ur run off is in the low 5's or high 4's .. Hope ur able to correct..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Best cannabis deficiency visual chart

I dont have a ppm meter but sounds about the same as my problem. The purpling is a Mag def caused by high ppms. Ive been raising my ph to 6.3 and watering that in to get it back in check. I didnt flush this i just adjusted the ph and it seems to be working. 2000 ppms might need to be flushed out.
Hey Bud, I hate contradicting people but purpled petioles are not indicative of Mg-, they're indicative of P-. Mg- shows first as interveinal chlorosis of the lower leaves, and progresses to necrotic margins, then full leaf death & drop. P- starts as reddened or purpled petioles, then progresses to the leaves taking on a 'too dark' green color, then random browning & yellowing, then full necrosis and leaf drop. :)

A correction needs to be made to this chart. It has Ca listed under mobile nutrients. Ca is immobile, not mobile.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
View attachment 352024

Hey Bud, I hate contradicting people but purpled petioles are not indicative of Mg-, they're indicative of P-. Mg- shows first as interveinal chlorosis of the lower leaves, and progresses to necrotic margins, then full leaf death & drop. P- starts as reddened or purpled petioles, then progresses to the leaves taking on a 'too dark' green color, then random browning & yellowing, then full necrosis and leaf drop. :)

A correction needs to be made to this chart. It has Ca listed under mobile nutrients. Ca is immobile, not mobile.
Thanks for the correction Sea! ;)

samino

samino

Root Aphids, god I hope not. I have to check, but my problem looks more like a K def. Should I just do the usual and flush with low ppm solution, or could I get away with 2 gallons of ph'd tap and 3 gallons of low ppm solution?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Root Aphids, god I hope not. I have to check, but my problem looks more like a K def. Should I just do the usual and flush with low ppm solution, or could I get away with 2 gallons of ph'd tap and 3 gallons of low ppm solution?

I'm not the pro, but everyone told me never to flush with plain, use diluted nutes.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I flush with plain water. The purpose, remember is ti rid the salts from growing media. A single or multiple flush with straigh h2o will not affect growth as much as the damage done currently. No need for nutes. Also soaking with warmer than standard temp water/nutrients then flush again may help pull some extra salts out.

Peace

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

you say your watering by hand? are you giving nutes every time?

i think im going to nail this one on the head... :D

im gonna guess overwatering and other things...a combo...here is what i mean...

if i take a clone and plant it to a 7 gal pot, the plant is way too small and will take a long time to grow roots throughout the pot, now if you water this 7 gal pot FULLY, the plant will never grow roots because the media will always be saturated...now if each time you water the top feels dry for 2-3 inches, but the bottom fels kinda like it still has weight, and you keep feeding with a full watering, you are building up nutes in the bottom of the pot and the plants roots never get there to eat them and drink up the water...by time it does(2-3 weeks into flower like you say) the salt concentration at the bottom is so high the plant goes into lockout mode....

i must also mention that i do not use any "zymes" because i find it did nothing but break down my growing media causing ph to lower (promix)...

that being said, i grow in promix and water with ferts every watering, veg @ 400-700, and flower 700-900ppm depending strain...i dont use much, a base nute, cal/mag, and a bloom booster(0-51-32)

now with all that being said, to fix your problem im going to suggest to water less when you do water, i never water till runoff...basicly when i plant my clones for vegging, i water enough to wet about half the container, then the moisture spreads out, to evenly MOIST-not wet or drench the rest of the media, creating a moist environment for roots to thrive, if its too wet roots wont grow, feeding them more wont help....basicly i start by watering 20 seconds each, then when they need watered every 2 days, i water 30 seconds each, then when they need watered every 2 days i water 40 seconds each, this allows for roots to FILL the container, ive noticed in the past when i would do "DRENCHES" like you are doing, roots would not fill the pot, they would grow straight down to the bottom and circle the bottom but none would be throughout the rest of the pot...

anyways its late and im high and rambling on...lol..anyways good luck

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

if i take a clone and plant it to a 7 gal pot, the plant is way too small and will take a long time to grow roots throughout the pot, now if you water this 7 gal pot FULLY, the plant will never grow roots because the media will always be saturated...now if each time you water the top feels dry for 2-3 inches, but the bottom fels kinda like it still has weight, and you keep feeding with a full watering, you are building up nutes in the bottom of the pot and the plants roots never get there to eat them and drink up the water...by time it does(2-3 weeks into flower like you say) the salt concentration at the bottom is so high the plant goes into lockout mode....

i must also mention that i do not use any "zymes" because i find it did nothing but break down my growing media causing ph to lower (promix)...

that being said, i grow in promix and water with ferts every watering, veg @ 400-700, and flower 700-900ppm depending strain...i dont use much, a base nute, cal/mag, and a bloom booster(0-51-32)

now with all that being said, to fix your problem im going to suggest to water less when you do water, i never water till runoff...basicly when i plant my clones for vegging, i water enough to wet about half the container, then the moisture spreads out, to evenly MOIST-not wet or drench the rest of the media, creating a moist environment for roots to thrive, if its too wet roots wont grow, feeding them more wont help....basicly i start by watering 20 seconds each, then when they need watered every 2 days, i water 30 seconds each, then when they need watered every 2 days i water 40 seconds each, this allows for roots to FILL the container, ive noticed in the past when i would do "DRENCHES" like you are doing, roots would not fill the pot, they would grow straight down to the bottom and circle the bottom but none would be throughout the rest of the pot...

I like your late night rants, good info here, or interesting info anyway. So contrary to what many state, but it makes sense. I'll give this a go and see how things progress.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

how are things coming along, im rocking my first coco run and been having troubles as well. hoping everything picks up

samino

samino

Sounds just like what was going go. I think I started watering to often too soon. Once I started flushing them though problems didnt progress, and started to bounce back. Although these problems seem to set the ripening phase back weeks :(

But I know now that its important not to over water right after up potting... Flushing atleast a few times during flower... Also feeding the right PPM levels as your setup allows ( i.e. the lower the amount of wattage per sqf, the lower the amount of PPM's they require, anf for Higher lighting they will accept more.) Temps will also be a factor based on that same principle of the lighting.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Im gonna say check out the thread . Supercharged coco . I've been coco forever and i've noticed that if You constantly feed same ppm...it'll cause issue's somewhat . Try a progressive feed upping then lowering feed see if that helps. If not seamaiden solved your issue! Just my 2¥

Fyi...it's damn near impossible to over water coco. Trust i've tried too lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom