2014 Root Aphid + Fungus Gnat Infestation

• Thread starter Theoneandonly Z
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Root Aphids
Punk aphid

There are over 4,400 aphid species that are known to exist. This thread is focusing on a small family commonly known as the "root aphid". It is also known as Phylloxera. Phylloxera is a species of root aphids that is thought to be originated in France and is commonly known to attack grape vines. As this species has spread throughout the world, its become attracted to many plant varieties including cannabis.

Life Cycle Overview:
Life cycle in color
Aphid cycle and predators
Aphid life cycle

Illustrations of Different Stages in Life:
Root aphids
Root aphid male vs female
Pub370ch5f5

Root aphids, as the name would suggest, are a sucking insect that puncture a plant's roots. They leave "open wounds" which the plant cannot repair due to an enzyme the aphids leave behind. Salts and other additives frequently found in nutrients exacerbate the damaged tissue by, quite literally, pouring salt on the wound. The roots become unable to absorb adequate nutrients to support the flowering plant. Worse yet, while attempting to naturally resist the pest, plants become extremely susceptible to several other infestations such as root rot, powdery mildew and fungus gnats.
http://www.thenorthwestleaf.com/pages/articles/post/preventing-grow-pests-like-phylloxera

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

(part 1)

PREVENTING GROW PESTS LIKE PHYLLOXERA

September 01, 2012 | DR. SCANDERSON FOR NORTHWEST LEAF
Today there are many new systems, nutrients and pest prevention methods - lending growers even more options to choose from. But just when humans believe that they have found the answer for everything, nature throws us a curve ball.

main_phyllox.jpg

Nature is truly an awesome entity. As Cannabis growing techniques continue to evolve, the quality and diversity of cannabis has improved considerably. Today there are many new systems, nutrients and pest prevention methods - lending growers even more options to choose from. But just when humans believe that they have found the answer for everything, nature throws us a curve ball.

This month's Growtech focuses on Phylloxera, a miraculous and extremely dangerous infestation that has reached the Northwest in pandemic proportion. Believed to have originated in France, Phylloxera were commonly referred to as "The Plague" thanks to their ability to take hold of wine grape crops. The pests resist eradication until the entire crop and area can no longer produce fruit. In an effort to save some of the most coveted grape breeds, many of the vines were moved to California where the coastal soils and environment provided a less hospitable environment for the aphid-like creatures to thrive.

But, Mother Nature persists. Phylloxera are commonly referred to as root aphids, and can harm cannabis in a major way. It's not often that I would choose to take an entire article to focus on just one pest: it is that serious. By spreading as much information about this pest, from how to properly identify it to options for treating it to methods for preventing infestation, it is my hope that we can irradiate "The Plague" as a community of growers in the Northwest.
  1. The pest is particularly damaging for a number of reasons:
  2. They can be very difficult to find at all and are easy misidentified
  3. In some cases, growers have them for many rounds without knowing it
  4. Phylloxera take on at least five different forms during their life-cycle.
  5. Eradication requires highly specialized, labor-intensive treatment regimes. In later, more-advanced stages, it can be almost impossible to completely remove
Root aphids, as the name would suggest, are a sucking insect that puncture a plant's roots. They leave "open wounds" which the plant cannot repair due to an enzyme the aphids leave behind. Salts and other additives frequently found in nutrients exacerbate the damaged tissue by, quite literally, pouring salt on the wound. The roots become unable to absorb adequate nutrients to support the flowering plant. Worse yet, while attempting to naturally resist the pest, plants become extremely susceptible to several other infestations such as root rot, powdery mildew and fungus gnats.

In some cases the plant is able to maintain a reasonable level of resistance to the pest and continue to thrive, though with reduced vigor. The damaged roots often prevent the plants from taking up adequate levels of magnesium and iron. As a result, consummate growers who grow very healthy plants and maintain very clean environments may inexplicably experience a mysterious deficiency of some sort around day 21 to 30 of flower. The deficiency often appears as a magnesium or iron deficiency, or a pH issue - even though all the levels and nutrition are on-point. The result can be an ongoing harvest of high quality flowers at a reduced yield of 15 to 20 percent. This kind of phantom nutrient deficiency has left many growers scratching their heads, unable to correct the deficiency, all the while unknowingly and ineffectively battling root aphids.

Root aphids generally live and exist initially in the root ball, making them tough to spot. In this form, they are about the size of a spider mite and are the same color as the roots.

The asexually reproducing aphids will feast on the root ball until the area cannot support the quickly increasing population. Then the creature will respond to their environment in one of three ways: They can hatch a generation of root aphids that are capable of developing wings and taking flight to another plant; the winged root aphid is extremely difficult to distinguish from the common fungus gnat, leading to incorrect insect identification and treatments. Or the pests can also hatch as a larger crawler that can move from the deep root ball up the plant and onto the leaves and stems. There it can dine on other parts of the plants as well as lay eggs to hatch larvae with upper plant mass support them. Lastly, it can lay a winter egg. The winter egg can lay dormant for up to six months before hatching and generating a new infestation.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

(Part 2)

The root aphids seem to thrive most effectively in rock wool, followed by coco and hydroton. Soil and soiless mixes generally offer a slightly less hospitable environment for larvae. If you have spotted flies around your plants which appear to be fungus gnats but don't respond to treatment, experienced the phantom nutrient deficiency, or observed above-ground crawlers, you must consider a root aphid infestation. Getting down into your roots and scoping them is both an excellent first step as well as a wise task and part of regular upkeep.

Sand, diamiscus earth and other sharp soil amendments help limit the life cycle of these pests and control the population. However, it may not eradicate them completely as emerging from the soil is not a necessity for the aphids to survive. There are really only two treatments that are effective in completely removing the infestation, in my own personal experience and mounting scientific research.

Organic remedies seem to be limited to administering pyrithium through complete and total root dunks. Pyrithium interrupts the life cycle and therefore can take up to 30 days to work completely. It requires thorough and complete root ball saturation and must be applied according to a very specific and frequent schedule to be effective. Botanigaurd is another organic remedy. It is a bacterial parasite to the root aphid, and when the bacteria comes in contact with root aphid, it enters and kills its body. Botanigaurd is costly and only effective if the aphid comes in contact with the bacteria, so effective root dunking is a must. I know of a couple highly advanced organic growers who work with Soma and report high levels of success in preventing Phylloxera by building a healthy population of beneficial nematodes.

Organic remedies may be completely ineffective if the infestation has reached higher levels of development or if the pest isn't properly identified. With enough time to both correct the issue and allow adequate time for recovery, the plants may once again regain vigor through maturity.

Growers who are comfortable administering synthetic pesticides are having success using two of the chemical options on the market. Note that more organically minded gardeners may recommend taking down the entire crop, finding new mothers and restarting your garden before using synthetic pesticides on medical grade cannabis. That said, these types of pesticides are designed according to the manufacturer to be completely safe to use on consumable fruits and vegetables when administered according the recommendation.

The only known synthetic, systemic treatment I have personally seen successful results with is a product called Merit which contains imidacloprid. "Imid" is the active ingredient used in popular dog and cat flea and tick remedies such as Advantage. Like any systemic treatment it enters the plant and alters the chemistry so that when the pest feeds on the plant, it also ingests the pesticide which kills the pest. Imid stays in the plant for at least 60 days and I would not recommend administering in flower, ever.

The second chemical is a touch and kill pesticide that stays active for 21 days on the plant and is called gamma-cyhalothrin. This product kills the insect any time it comes in contact with it or when the insect comes in contact with surfaces that have been treated in the past 14 days; although I would only recommend administration with in 45 days or more of harvest. Both these products are extremely potent chemicals and must be handled, administered and disposed of with greater caution than the manufacturer recommends.

This infestation didn't migrate to the Northwest without assistance. We brought it here. In the search for the best Cannabis many, growers acquire clone-only genetics from California, specifically areas surrounding wine country. The grower may have all the best intentions yet unknowingly give out the infected cutting, or infect another strain in their garden and give that one out.

If you have ever seen a movie like Outbreak or Pathogen, the films focus on finding a cure to a rapidly spreading disease and identifying the source host or the first person that transmitted the virus. That's essential to finding a cure. Fortunately as Cannabis growers, we have a much easier solution: never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever take cutting from anyone, plain and simple. Phylloxera are not native to the Northwest and do not thrive without specialized environments and hosts such as Cannabis. There are literally thousands of seed breeders out there representing hundreds of thousands of hours of work with the best available genetics in seed form. I submit that almost any strain of Cannabis in existence can be so closely replicated in seed form that less than 10 percent of patients would ever experience a difference at any level. Methods for acquiring such plants can seem more involved and time consuming initially, but are vastly superior in comparison to the cost, time, stress and impact on the quality of life of any gardener fighting this pest.

Specific treatments schedules, particular products, prevention regimes and the methods for acquiring highly desirable cannabis strains are beyond the scope of this article. Don't worry we are here to help! If you would like more information on any of the above you can "like" drscanderrson on facebook and request it and as always, happy gardening!

http://www.thenorthwestleaf.com/pages/articles/post/preventing-grow-pests-like-phylloxera

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fuck me! It's the THISTLE!!!! God damn it! Bull thistle all over the place, every year I see aphids being farmed by ants on it. Son of a BITCH.

Ok, thank you for this information. Needless to say, the bit about the thistle caught my eye.

S

spaaaaceboy

Thanks for posting all this great info. Ive been eagerly waiting for more. Im dealing with them now and saw a post where somebody states to do 2 drenchs with pyrethrins 5 days apart followed by botanigard and then said to spray the leaves with acephate stating it would get into roots like this. He said he got the acephate info from a professor. Ive also seen that acephate does not hurt the micro herd so was thinking about giving it a try.

Ive already got caps bennies, so was wondering if should still use the botanigard? Also what is the best way to clean/disinfect the room to make sure no eggs or stragglers are left behind?

Im planning on spraying everything with pyrethrin, but was hoping for a better alternative.

Bruce Fever

Bruce Fever

I am currently helping a friend harvest and he has fungus gnats. Can anyone give any advice for drying in this instance and what will the dry bud turn out like? When trimming up and tapping some buds on my hand 3 or 4 tiny ones would drop out :-/

The bud looks nice though.

sensicloud

sensicloud

I am currently helping a friend harvest and he has fungus gnats. Can anyone give any advice for drying in this instance and what will the dry bud turn out like? When trimming up and tapping some buds on my hand 3 or 4 tiny ones would drop out :-/

Seems like the growth and yield is affected most..

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

fungus gnats really only affect the roots. reason being is that they lay their eggs which turn into larva/pupa. these little fuckers chew on your roots. it takes a massive infestation for FG to have any adverse effects on plants. The worst thing they do is fly in your mouth when caring for you plants imo! The flyers are often found stuck dead onto buds, so keep an eye out when your trimming. there is nothing you can do to help any problems they may have caused, well because your already harvesting. there are many preventional methods your buddy can take on his next run.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Just stumbled upon this product, Movento, made by Bayer. This is said to prevent all aphids and even a great number of the mite species. After reading about it for a couple minutes, it sounds like some potent shit. Lots of safety precautions required and can cause adverse health effects... I have never used this before and i am definitely not recommending it to anyone. Just wondering if anybody else has more info on this?

Label:
http://www.agrian.com/pdfs/Movento_Label1v.pdf

Key Pests:

MSDS:
http://www.agrian.com/pdfs/MOVENTO_MSDS.pdf

Bruce Fever

Bruce Fever

Well I decided to get all 28 stripped as much as poss by hand (usual vibe )and get them chopped as whole plants and hung in order to get the pots out as it's the buggers HQ! We hovered up the tent and room hung fly catchers all seems good

turbo14

turbo14

Have you tried gamma-cyhalothrin before yourself? I found a product called Optimate CS. Is that the product you have used? What dosage? Drench or spray?

I have used Movento with great success. Bayer also makes a generic version of it called Ultor. You can pick it up at roguefarmer.com

I'm cleaning house in veg and mother room. It's time to get ride or these fuckers. They just fucked up my 20 lighter.

turbo

turbo14

turbo14

Jesus, I'm sorry to read that, turbo.

Thanks Seamaiden, these fuckers are ruthless. I went out of town and came back to find them. I've been using Capulator teas twice a week to keep everything at bay. I am pulling out all the big guns in veg to clean house, there is no way they will live:)

turbo

B

Bangarang

If you share your approach to this battle that would be great. I recently treated my veg and moms with exciter and then two weeks later with orthene and exciter together. I have not seen anything yet. Both times the plant will show you a Phos toxicity and stunted growth for a week. Flush real heavy two to three days after.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

I just dealt with this a few months ago I bought gnatrol an used as directed with fly tape to catch the adults an yellow sticky's, an i would mix conserve sc in with watering an my problem was solved. P.S now I bake all my soil on a BBQ grill with a foil turkey pan to kill any free rider's an let soil dry before completely before the next watering because these bugs thrive in damp soils.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
There are these nematodes called nemasys.. its a water in and they will do damage on gnats and RA. Coupled with the foliar pack it is the best solution in flower, and definitely the best thing to do if you are organic.

B

Bangarang

http://www.bugspraycart.com/traps/pheromone-and-food/aphid-alarm-4-pk
Abstract
Aphids are important agricultural and forest pests that exhibit complex behaviors elicited by pheromonal signals. The aphid alarm pheromone – of which (E)-β-farnesene is the key (or only) component in most species – plays important roles in mediating interactions among individuals as well as multitrophic interactions among plants, aphids, and aphid natural enemies. Though many important questions remain to be answered, a large body of research has addressed various aspects of the biology, physiology, and ecology of aphid alarm pheromones. Here we review recent advances in our understanding of (a) the identity and composition of aphid alarm signals; (b) their biosynthesis and production; (c) their effects on conspecifics; (d) their role as cues for other insect species; and (e) their potential application for the management of pest organisms.

Graphical abstract

Highlights
► In response to a danger, aphids secrete alarm pheromones. ► Three metabolites have been shown to have aphid alarm pheromone activity: (E)-β-farnesene, germacrene A, and α-pinene. ► Mechanisms of production and regulation of these compounds are not fully characterized but major advances have been made. ► Aphid alarm pheromones mediate ecological interactions among aphids, and between aphids and other organisms. ► The chemical ecology of aphid alarm signaling has significant applied relevance.

B

Bangarang

SPREADER STICKER

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: An additive which is mixed with pesticide and water. It is odorless and will allow the pesticide to "stick" better to treated surfaces. Helps get certain pests which have natural oils and coverings which make treatment difficult. This is particularly helpful when spraying for hard shelled insects. Spreader Sticker is also excellent to use for weed control "enabling" the herbicide spray to work so much better.

RATE OF APPLICATION: 2-4 ounces per gallon of tank mix.

NYLAR IGR I.G. REGULATOR SURGE

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Odorless growth regulator which is added to an adulticide for insect control. Although it will do nothing to adult fleas, it will sterilize flea eggs and larva so they are unable to develop into adults thus breaking the flea cycle.

TARGET PESTS: Flea eggs, roaches and other insects as well.

WHERE TO USE IT: In the home on carpet and around the yard. The only growth regulator labeled for use outside.

RATE OF APPLICATION: 1 ounce mixes with one gallon of water and will treat 1000 sq/ft well.

B

Bangarang

In fасt, thе bеѕt tаnk mіx уоu саn сrеаtе wіll іnсludе thе Adultісіdе (еіthеr Pеrmеthrіn, Cуfluthrіn оr Bіfеn), Sрrеаdеr Stісkеr аnd Nуlаr. Thіѕ соmbіnаtіоn wоuld соvеr аll bаѕеѕ аnd аllоw уоu tо gеt thе mоѕt еffесt frоm уоur wоrk. Nоt оnlу wоuld thе аdultісіdе bе kіllіng оff аdult арhіdѕ but thе ѕрrеаdеr ѕtісkеr wоuld bе іnѕurіng thе соvеrаgе іѕ аѕ соmрlеtе аѕ роѕѕіblе аnd thе Nуlаr wоuld bе wоrkіng аgаіnѕt аnу уоung рrеvеntіng thеm frоm bесоmіng rерrоduсіng аdultѕ. Fоr аnуоnе whісh hаѕ hаd а hаrd tіmе соntrоllіng thіѕ реѕt, uѕе thіѕ fоrmulаtіоn іf уоu wаnt tо knосk thеm оut оnсе аnd fоr аll.

Top Bottom