21k watt 3500sq ft grow op cooling idea?

• Thread starter vangs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vangs

vangs

Sounds like a great way to get your grow contaminated or infested with bugs or pm. I'd run far away if it were me.

Is everyone's electrical up to code?

What happens of a neighbor floods a res and it floods your unit?

yeah eletrical is all up to code and done by licensed electricians. Trust me its not my first choice but ive been looking for space since july. its not that easy to find where im at. Im not trying to answer what ifs bro. We can go all day. Yeah i Know the risks of having mutiple grow rooms going in the same building and im ok with that.

Billyboat

Billyboat

When investing 100k all what if scenarios have to be thought out...we ain't talking about some hobby grow!

Cheers

vangs

vangs

im gunna go with mini splits unless i can figure out exactly what gyreman was talking about.. lol... someone recommended i grow vertical so i can maximize my plant yields. i usually run 2 4x8 trays with 8 plants on each tray with 3k watts over them and yield around 8# per room... but now my count is 12 plants per room and since amps is not an issue, its in consideration.. does anyone run vert? i need to figure out how they train their plants to get so big and wide, need to see some vert rooms....

vangs

vangs

When investing 100k all what if scenarios have to be thought out...we ain't talking about some hobby grow!

Cheers
from what im told, a couple growers been growing there for a long time and a few dropped much more money than me and haven't had any insect or pest issues or anything like that.

Billyboat

Billyboat

im gunna go with mini splits unless i can figure out exactly what gyreman was talking about.. lol... someone recommended i grow vertical so i can maximize my plant yields. i usually run 2 4x8 trays with 8 plants on each tray with 3k watts over them and yield around 8# per room... but now my count is 12 plants per room and since amps is not an issue, its in consideration.. does anyone run vert? i need to figure out how they train their plants to get so big and wide, need to see some vert rooms....

I run 18 plants in my 12k vert room, check the tree section for more vert guys.

vangs

vangs

You said electrical is included? Your landlord is paying your e bill? That isn't going to raise a flag with said landlord?

That ebill alone is going to be 3k
yes but im paying 7000$ a month for 3500sq ft.. my rent includes my eletricity.

Billyboat

Billyboat

Sounds like an interesting deal! I run mini splits and regular york split units and if amps aren't a concern I'd take a york over a mini any day, the mini just don't have enough cfm to move the air around in anything bigger then 15' long or wide.

The amount of cfm in a split unit are over double that of a 3 ton mini.

vangs

vangs

Sounds like an interesting deal! I run mini splits and regular york split units and if amps aren't a concern I'd take a york over a mini any day, the mini just don't have enough cfm to move the air around in anything bigger then 15' long or wide.

The amount of cfm in a split unit are over double that of a 3 ton mini.
what do you recomend for a regular split? 1per rooom

Garden of Dreams

Garden of Dreams

Breeder
2 head units per room, 100k is a very small budget to build a proper "Facility". Billyboats walked the entire road! your in good hands!

Coir

Coir

in NW here we're using Climagrow..... climagrow.com. All good people there. We noticed that off the shelf mini-splits with multiple zones share the btu's all at once - so a 36k btu unit might have only 10k btu to each zone and won't work. The pro's have the switches which allow a full 30btu's to one handler, for example, and then the other, and maybe you can find those units on your own otherwise and I just haven't looked hard enough. We will run a 15 ton unit - or two 7.5 - split between two sealed flower rooms in the new grow. Running one 7.5 in winter will reduce our energy cost....and should suffice for 2 seasons here given the sealed ambient cooling setup we have designed....though I as chief of engineering am getting a lot of flak about this right now...lol :) ....fortunately it's my company and building so it's going to get tried ha ha as long as the hvac guys sign off on it.....and I'm rural/private so we can do whatever we want to the building....
Better tell climagrow to check their website! Can't get anything but the homepage up.

Gyreman

Gyreman

do you have a link to where i can get chain link fence? Have you tried that yourself? im having trouble visializing it.
Awesome about your deal with the landlord. or at least... sounds like after the ebill you are at about 1.00/sf. and that's good compared to my area.

On the chain link fence - that's just what you can grab at home depot or any hardware store. Mainly, I was just suggesting that you split your total grow into only two climate zones - so like we do here, you have one zone on full light with the other zone off - and then switch. We use switch boxes for the ballasts as well so you can just buy half the ballasts up front....the fire up one room and then switch over to fire up the other. To do this though, you need full air flow between your patient rooms - 3 in one large sealed room and 4 in the other. The individual patient rooms where you are can be defined by chain link walls instead of plywood walls. It's just that simple. Storage businesses do this - divide up the rented space by only chain link fence walls with chain link gates and locks on the gates. It puts you in compliance but also simplifies your grow climate control design tremendously. (Of course, storage businesses had a problem when people started renting chain link storage rooms and then cutting through the fence and stealing their neighbors cargo...lol!)

Last edited:
Gyreman

Gyreman

Better tell climagrow to check their website! Can't get anything but the homepage up.
ya - they're having some growing pains right now I'm sure. I just checked and that's a new site - not the one they had when we started with them. Actually they are a division of ElkinsHVAC - one of the bigger players up there. elkinshvac.com 360.398.9400

vangs

vangs

Awesome about your deal with the landlord. or at least... sounds like after the ebill you are at about 1.00/sf. and that's good compared to my area.

On the chain link fence - that's just what you can grab at home depot or any hardware store. Mainly, I was just suggesting that you split your total grow into only two climate zones - so like we do here, you have one zone on full light with the other zone off - and then switch. We use switch boxes for the ballasts as well so you can just buy half the ballasts up front....the fire up one room and then switch over to fire up the other. To do this though, you need full air flow between your patient rooms - 3 in one large sealed room and 4 in the other. The individual patient rooms where you are can be defined by chain link walls instead of plywood walls. It's just that simple. Storage businesses do this - divide up the rented space by only chain link fence walls with chain link gates and locks on the gates. It puts you in compliance but also simplifies your grow climate control design tremendously. (Of course, storage businesses had a problem when people started renting chain link storage rooms and then cutting through the fence and stealing their neighbors cargo...lol!)
im seriouslly looking into this. i could sub divide the space between a mother room, veg room and instead of 7 flower rooms, 1 large room and ill use chain link fence to make the rooms. that way i can use 2 5ton ac directly in the flower room.

Gyreman

Gyreman

Okay. Mainly though everyone I know splits into two flower rooms so you are always using basically the same number of amps all the time. Otherwise for 12 hours you are drawing tons of amps with the lights on and then for 12 all that amp capacity has to remain unused. Imho, run with half of the lights powered up on 6 am to 6 pm, and then off with the other half on 6pm to 6am. The flower room ac runs 24/7 - driving two air handlers but flipping from one to the other every 12 hours.

Actually I suppose you could the 7th room into two so you could do 3 full size chain link rooms and a half size chain link room in one of the large flower rooms - and the same in the other. If the law allows two rooms for one patient, with half their plants in each half room. That way you can have the same number of lights and so the same amp draw from each room all the time. Calculate your draw for one flower of the flower rooms and start there including ac, fans, etc. Whatever is left over of your 200 or whatever amps is what you will have available for veg and mother rooms. I think you'll find you are short on amps in a hurry if you try it any other way.

vangs

vangs

Okay. Mainly though everyone I know splits into two flower rooms so you are always using basically the same number of amps all the time. Otherwise for 12 hours you are drawing tons of amps with the lights on and then for 12 all that amp capacity has to remain unused. Imho, run with half of the lights powered up on 6 am to 6 pm, and then off with the other half on 6pm to 6am. The flower room ac runs 24/7 - driving two air handlers but flipping from one to the other every 12 hours.

Actually I suppose you could the 7th room into two so you could do 3 full size chain link rooms and a half size chain link room in one of the large flower rooms - and the same in the other. If the law allows two rooms for one patient, with half their plants in each half room. That way you can have the same number of lights and so the same amp draw from each room all the time. Calculate your draw for one flower of the flower rooms and start there including ac, fans, etc. Whatever is left over of your 200 or whatever amps is what you will have available for veg and mother rooms. I think you'll find you are short on amps in a hurry if you try it any other way.

Is there any reason your recommending i run a flip? or is it for the sole purpose of running less amps? because figuring out my electrical limits was one of the first things i did. Not going into details but think about it.. 21 lights at 240v is around 108amps. then im gunna have the central cooling running off its own 50amps. so that leaves about 92 amps for the veg room, and the misc equipment for all the flower rooms. Now with the veg room, i plan on going with t5s. Between t5s for the veg room and all the 120v equipment, 90 amps is enough. Unless you know something i dont. if so please share.

Billyboat

Billyboat

A single 5 ton is on a 50 amp breaker...and 21k will need more then 5 tons, more like 10 tons. Unless you have access to 3 phase power and then you could get by with 10 tons on 60 amps.

Billyboat

Billyboat

To keep a 21k worth of flower on all the time you will need at least a 6k veg room, t5s won't cut it. I recommend cmh 315s over a t5 any day. And then some gavita or epap 600s for the next phase in veg growth.

I have 10 CMH 315s and and 600 epaps in my veg room to keep the flower rooms full with minimal down time.

If you have to veg in your flower room more then a week, you lose an entire harvest a year.

92 amps sounds like a lot of freedom but if you are running off a 200 amp panel, you don't have enough power for 21 lights on, 2x 5 ton and much anything else, 80% rule.

sixstring

sixstring

in theory it sounds like you should be good with 90 amps for veg and accessories.but i think you want to figure 80% of rated amps to use all at once.i think alot of these guys are saying to split it up for not only less amp draw but also maybe less equipment like ballasts if you run flips.dont forget stuff like dehuys are gunna draw some extra amps.this one draws 10.5 A but it looks badass imo.
i run some badboy t5 fixtures and i love that they can run 240v or 120v,look into those for t5.

Top Bottom