220 volt sub pannel help

• Thread starter NBfrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NBfrost

hello all , i am looking to wire up a 220 volt sup pannel , I have a 200 amp service entrance ....i want to run my lites on 220 and everything else on 110 . from my sub pannel .. please help

ncga

ncga

have you done any electrical before ?

You will need 3 strands and a ground, also known as romex

Red
White
Black
Ground

nc

I

Indicated

hello all , i am looking to wire up a 220 volt sup pannel , I have a 200 amp service entrance ....i want to run my lites on 220 and everything else on 110 . from my sub pannel .. please help

Yep your gonna need two hot legs, a netural, and a ground. Question is how thick a gauge wire do you need to feed the sub, and just as improtantly how full is your 200 amp service now. if its pretty much maxed your going to have to be somewhat carefull about how much load you put on the service,whip(the power company's wire running to your home from the pole) How many "lite's" and other eqiupment do you plan to use. Depending on how far the sub will be from the main, #8/3 with ground costs a good deal more than #10/3 w/g the more info you give the better able to give GOOD advise. Wiring is no hobby, but its not rocket science either. list out your loads and lets add em up.....

B

bentripin

here you go man, just for you.. my DIY 60A 220v Subpanel Howto

If ya have any further questions just ask...

Cheers,
-Ben

hiboy

hiboy

Well
i will state the obvious. You have to run a wire from your main panel to your sub panel,
and second,
depending on your total amps needed, dont overload your panel.
hiboy

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice work on that tutorial Ben!

N

NBfrost

Im very familar with electrical , I am a diesel mechanic and have done a bit of wiring . Worked for hertz rental equipment for about a year , and wired several generators and light towers. but I just want to see how other people go about it . I know 220 or 240 have 4 wires , 2 hots a neutral and a ground . my main 200 amp pannel only uses about 75 amps . on my sub pannel , i want to dedicate about 50 amps to lights and the rest to fans ac and the such . I want to have each light on an individual breaker 15 amps . any suggestion on how to go about laying it out .. or does anyone know where i can buy one already built ?

hiboy

hiboy

Im very familar with electrical , I am a diesel mechanic and have done a bit of wiring . Worked for hertz rental equipment for about a year , and wired several generators and light towers. but I just want to see how other people go about it . I know 220 or 240 have 4 wires , 2 hots a neutral and a ground . my main 200 amp pannel only uses about 75 amps . on my sub pannel , i want to dedicate about 50 amps to lights and the rest to fans ac and the such . I want to have each light on an individual breaker 15 amps . any suggestion on how to go about laying it out .. or does anyone know where i can buy one already built ?

I always do my own wiring being an electrician. IM sure u can find a lighting controller for your needs, but dont think they all have dedicated breakers for each light. If your stuck on the indiv. breaker layout, install a timer to control your lighting hours and have that activate a contactor where each line from the panel is individually controlled by a breaker.
Hiboy

M

mkultra

how many lights what wattage hydro air pumps timers???????

Latest posts

Top Bottom