24/0 vs 18/6

• Thread starter bloads
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bloads

bloads

From everything i've been reading, there seems to be no reason to choose 18/6 over 24/0 besides power consumption. Jorge Cervantes + Ed from high times both recommend it, saying your plants grow 33% faster. Some other page I read was mentioning that the type of plant that cannabis is, (name escapes me), is the type that doesn't need a dark cycle (certain plants do, certain don't).

Any experience/anecdotes from the community on this?

I tried searching for a thread about it, but strangely couldn't find one (i'm probably just a failure @ search:very_first_smiley:)

F

f1ydave

My understanding is that there is no added benefit for running 24 hours, because when the plant is in the dark cycle it is running on batteries and spends the entire light cycle "storing" energy for the dark cycle. The thing is, once it runs out of "battery" its not doing anything but waiting.

The best thing you can do is try your own control groups and see what works.

I have read that 20/4 is optimal, but I ran 18/6 anyway.

420Gator

420Gator

after reading all the positive posts on this thread i switched to 24

S

Spliff-killa

Bloads
I have to agree with Dave. Think about it, can you run for 24 hrs without a break? Since plants are a living thing, everyone needs some down time to recover. With that being said I've run both and have seen no real big difference with gains buy running 24. So I guess its up to the grower, more power to you if it works.:bongsmi:

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I dont have to think about it. No dout 24 will kick the shit out 18/6. The only people who would say diif is those who dont know. Try it if u dont believe.

vaporedout

vaporedout

i enjoyed doing 24/0 this time, it seemed every time i opened the door i was smiling and impressed with the growth, compared to the 18/6, then again i am running different strains this time as well.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Let me elaborate. I have not tested this with t5s only 1000wt hps and metal halide.

M

mr cheese

well iv been growing 15 odd yrs now n strange as it may seem id never tried 18/6, always vegged 24/0, in the early days we didnt have contactors readily available, we had to make our own so being a poor student at the time its was easier to veg 24/0 so i jst stuck with it until i read a thread over at i.c saying 24/0 was bad for your plants, sum garbage about plants need sleep ect so me being me i had to try 18/ 6.

and let me tell you knw my plants grew at least 30% slower! i normally veg 2 weeks max then flip, with 18/ 6 i got to 3 weeks veg n they still wasnt as big as 2 weeks 24/0 veg! so for all the people who dnt believe 24/0 is any better than 18/ 6 do your own experiment with same room, same plants ect ect n tell me 24/0 isnt faster than 18/ 6! ... jst my 2 cents... mrc

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What happens when one of your girls on a 24/0 photoperiod goes into flower? How will you handle that?
(Hint: I know a few answers, but then, I no longer run veg on that photoperiod.)

M

mr cheese

What happens when one of your girls on a 24/0 photoperiod goes into flower? How will you handle that?
(Hint: I know a few answers, but then, I no longer run veg on that photoperiod.)

never had it happen so cnt say but id say dump the strain as its not a true female, as in true breeding.. but hey not everyones into breeding so im intrested in your answer mate?? but if its auto flowering under 24/0 id put it down to a stress factor but again never had a plant auto flower on me... all the best... mrc

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Ive been growing 15 yrs never had it happen. Have seen it happen to mothers under stress. Ya junk that girl.

U

username09

i can't remember where i read it but, i do remember reading that the dark period was good for root development.

i've used 24/0 on all my grows. my current grow is in a bubble bucket and the roots already grow crazy so i figured the dark period wasn't necessary. having no basis for comparison i can't say which is better but, i do remember reading that the dark period was good for root development.

B

bonerface

24/0 worked much better for me then 18/6......they do grow faster. Period.
IMO the only reason you would want to go the 18/6 route is if you are growing a strain that has heat or light stress issues. In that case a little darkness would be better..... from my past experience. My larry og had some issues with the 24hr cycle, she hated heat and the constant light and had alot of transpiration issues but she got used to it.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
I have been growing for going on 11 years and always ran 24/0 in veg...never had any issues

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
never had it happen so cnt say but id say dump the strain as its not a true female, as in true breeding.. but hey not everyones into breeding so im intrested in your answer mate?? but if its auto flowering under 24/0 id put it down to a stress factor but again never had a plant auto flower on me... all the best... mrc
If you've never had a girl on 24/0 go into flower on you, good on you, you've avoided what can be a frustrating headache.
Ive been growing 15 yrs never had it happen. Have seen it happen to mothers under stress. Ya junk that girl.
Really? You would simply junk what could be fantastic genetics simply because it flowered under a terribly artificial photoperiod?

That's not how I do things. I test everything out for myself, thusly, I learned that a 24/0 photoperiod is not only NOT the end-all be-all greatest bestest thing to do, but can cause you an awful lot of headaches. There are more reasons for a girl going into flower than just photoperiod, too. What if she's rootbound (perhaps this will generate that lovely little debate about whether or not it's possible for Mary to become rootbound, I say she can)? I've also learned that 18/6 is not necessarily the best photoperiod to use, especially if you plan on putting anything outdoors. I've spent a little bit of time every year trying out different photoperiods to see what will happen, with an eye toward learning how to get the most from my plants out of my power investment.

What I'm saying to people is this, IF you've never tried anything different, then HOW can you say the one way is the best way?

I personally use a staggered photoperiod of 14/2/2/4. No flowering (unless they're rootbound), no strange leaves, no single or triple-bladed leaves, just nice, healthy growth at a good rate for my electric investment. And, I get to put my clones outside without the worry of them immediately going into flower.

Just pointing out that there really is more than one way to skin the cat.

Top Bottom